smoothoperaytor

Confused, overwhelmed, and need help with Visa options

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
38 minutes ago, smoothoperaytor said:

They do other things too like prepare you for interviews and help you make sure you're doing all the steps in the correct order.

My fiance and I wasted several months trying to get her a tourist visa to the US. She was rejected twice because they felt like she wouldn't return back to Russia, which is silly. They just saw that she had an American boyfriend and that was all it took for the rejection. She has a savings in Russia, family in Russia, property in Russia, and friends in Russia, but they still rejected her. Should we have used a company, I think we (she) would have been better prepared for the interview and process. 

We tried in Vladivostok by the way because appointments were faster there than in Moscow. They couldn't wrap their head around why we would do that. They also were confused about the fact that were were traveling so much. She told them I worked online and they were confused about that as well. It's as if they had a mindset from the 1960s.

So she does not want to move to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Boiler said:

So she does not want to move to the US?

We haven't decided where we'll live permanently. Right now we're thinking to have homes in both the US and Russia and travel back and forth depending on the time or year or situation. Of course, this will be more complicated with kids. One step at a time.

The goal first was to bring her to the US and spend time here. I want to show her America. There are also several places in the US I haven't visited, like the Grand Canyon and Yosemite. The problem before was trying to bring her here as a tourist, not my wife.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Bear in mind you are applying for her to live permanently in the US, visits to Russia would be ok so depends what you mean by splitting your time

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Green Card holders can be out of the US for up to a year....and longer with a proper re-entry permit.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

13 hours ago, smoothoperaytor said:

Plus, I don't want to spend hours of my time researching when I could be doing other things.

What “other things” could be more important than the paperwork to allow your and your wife-to-be to live together permanently? 

If my husband had told me he didn’t want to waste his time on our paperwork, I’d question his commitment. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post removed as requested by the poster~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, smoothoperaytor said:

I have property in the US, so hopefully the US domicile isn't an issue. 

Time to do more research on US domicile, especially from the Russian embassy/consulate reviews, as it can vary by country.  Owning property in the US is good, but it may not be enough unless you also have a primary residence in the US, voter registration, driver's license, past three years of US income tax returns, US bank accounts, etc.

Edited by carmel34

7 hours ago, smoothoperaytor said:

Thanks. This is all uncharted territory. It helps to find other people navigating these same issues. I have property in the US, so hopefully the US domicile isn't an issue. 

Here's some guidance from the Department of State on how to maintain US domicile while living abroad temporarily --

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html#aos22

As others already mentioned, embassies have varying degrees of strictness when it comes to the domicile requirement.  Best to reach out to those who have dealt with the US embassy in Moscow for more info.

6 hours ago, JFH said:

What “other things” could be more important than the paperwork to allow your and your wife-to-be to live together permanently? 

If my husband had told me he didn’t want to waste his time on our paperwork, I’d question his commitment. 

Let me put it this way. If you needed brain surgery, would you expect your husband to:

• Learn how to do it himself?
  • Have him take you to a brain surgeon?

Because my reasoning is, there are things I do with my time that are more valuable. Such as, making money that I can use to hire people who are better than I am at certain things. That being said, I researched enough to understand what's going on. 

6 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Time to do more research on US domicile, especially from the Russian embassy/consulate reviews, as it can vary by country.  Owning property in the US is good, but it may not be enough unless you also have a primary residence in the US, voter registration, driver's license, past three years of US income tax returns, US bank accounts, etc.

Yes, I have all of the above. I'm from the US. Born and raised. No legal problems. I dropped out of high school (but earned a degree — i.e., a near-worthless piece of paper — later), but I don't think that matters...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.