Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public

2,873 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Rose__ said:

Hi everyone! My visa was approved this morning :)

I was in and out in a little over an hour! The security lady made me feel bad when I showed up because I was "very early"... In reality it couldn't have been earlier than 10.40am for a 10.45am appointment... I waited on the subway platform for a while since I didn't bring my phone and it was the only way I could know what time it was! But anyway, everyone else was fine. I was told to go to the first floor, booth 5 or 7. Before getting on the elevator, I confirmed to one of the agent that he said the "first" and not the "third" (because I didn't want to get yelled at lol). He was empathetic and said "yeah I know, with the masks I'm always having people repeat themselves". Regardless, there's a sticker with the name of the consulate right by the elevator button for the consulate so you can't get it wrong. The security guy upstairs was nice. I was very very stressed going there, but once I sat down it got better. The building isn't nearly as intimidating and formal as I was expecting it to be - it reminded me of where I went to get my health care (RAMQ) card. The two officers I spoke with were very nice, the second was actually very friendly!

Now for the details, I'll try to remember as well as I can! The first officer only asked for my passport, birth certificate, our marriage certificate, police check and passport pictures. I'm a temporary resident here so he did ask about my status, I showed him my work permit. He confirmed my husband's address, phone number, occupation; my date of birth; the date of our marriage; he asked if I ever had any issue crossing the border, if I had ever been arrested. He confirmed how long I'd been here in Canada for. He gave me the pamphlet on domestic violence. It was a little hard to hear him with the mask and the glass but he seemed to be mindful of it and he was also kind of turning his head to have his ears towards me when I was speaking. So I think that if you can't hear them well, they'll be understanding of it (I'm specifying because that was my worry!). Then I sat back and waited to be called for the second part of the process.

The second officer started off by thanking me for my patience and saying I was at the end of a long road - which kind of told me right away that I was going to be approved!! He had a speaker of some sort so it was very easy to hear him. Then he asked me to tell him about my husband, how we met. He asked what was the longest I'd ever stayed in the US (I said about 2.5 months during the lockdown), how often we see each other, if it was a first marriage for both of us, what does my husband do, what do I do. He said everything looked really good, lots of green lights. Then he said he'd hang on to my passport. He gave me a paper to show at customs because my packet will be electronic, I won't have an actual envelope to give them when I cross at POE. He told me a couple of logistic things about getting my passport back that I can't remember at all (oops) because I was suddenly realizing that we were finally DONE and I was getting emotional lol. But I live in Montreal so the passport just has to cross the city. Then my eyes filled with tears, I couldn't speak for a couple of seconds so I just looked at him with the most grateful look. He was like "yay, happy tears, that's good right?" lol. He congratulated me, told me to "take care". A very nice gentleman!

So globally, I would say it was very stressful leading up to it but the actual interview was painless. The officers are nice, the questions are very standard ones. I was definitely over prepared paperwork wise, knowing now what they actually asked me for. But I would 10000% recommend doing in this way: it's best going in knowing that, whatever they ask you for, you can just pull it out of your binder and give it to them. It was definitely a thought I held on to when I got nervous about interviewing! 

Also note that I had uploaded the following documents on CEAC a week before the interview, even though I didn't get an email: 2019 tax transcripts and W2, my more recent police check, and an updated I-864. This last one had changed quite a bit since the NVC stage but they didn't ask for any supporting documents (namely updated bank statements or a letter from my employer, since we're using my income and assets to qualify). I think we really went to town at the NVC stage with the supporting documents, so it made the rest of the process go smoothly.

That's it, I hope it helps! Pheeeew, what a crazy ride. Seeing my husband's smile on my phone screen when I told him was just amazing 😍: 😭  I'll relax for real once I get my tracking number. I hope to be able to fly down this weekend, I cannot wait to be reunited with my spouse... and our 2 cats of course!!! I'm going home!!!!

Congratulations!!!!! happy tears are the best.  Thanks for the great write up.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Japples said:

Finally received an email reply. They confirmed that the medical is there. They said they are waiting on the officer to "promptly" review the case and approve.

Yayyyyy!

Congrats @Rose__ !! Glad it went so smoothly! 

Marriage:2018-09-28

I-130 Sent :2019-01-08

I-130 NOA1 :2019-01-16

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved :2019-03-28

NVC Received :2019-04-10

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :2019-05-06

Pay AOS Bill :2019-05-06

Send IV Package: 2019-09-06

Case Complete at NVC: 2019-12-09

Receive Instruction and Interview Letter: 2020-03-05

Interview: 2020-04-20

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LvnDvX95_tfWtTvsJJM49PDPPvPKal0WG2rgdZHhsz0/edit?usp=sharing

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, ReadIcculus said:

Yayyyyy!

Congrats @Rose__ !! Glad it went so smoothly! 

Thank you!! And congrats too, I'm sure they'll process your spouse's medical exam quickly :) The hardest part is behind us.

Timeline
Just now, Rose__ said:

Thank you!! And congrats too, I'm sure they'll process your spouse's medical exam quickly :) The hardest part is behind us.

I just posted in the Facebook group and a couple people had delays and seems like once they had the documents in hand, it was quick. I am hopeful that we can still do the move when we planned to! 

Marriage:2018-09-28

I-130 Sent :2019-01-08

I-130 NOA1 :2019-01-16

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved :2019-03-28

NVC Received :2019-04-10

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill :2019-05-06

Pay AOS Bill :2019-05-06

Send IV Package: 2019-09-06

Case Complete at NVC: 2019-12-09

Receive Instruction and Interview Letter: 2020-03-05

Interview: 2020-04-20

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1LvnDvX95_tfWtTvsJJM49PDPPvPKal0WG2rgdZHhsz0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Rose__ said:

Hi everyone! My visa was approved this morning :)

I was in and out in a little over an hour! The security lady made me feel bad when I showed up because I was "very early"... In reality it couldn't have been earlier than 10.40am for a 10.45am appointment... I waited on the subway platform for a while since I didn't bring my phone and it was the only way I could know what time it was! But anyway, everyone else was fine. I was told to go to the first floor, booth 5 or 7. Before getting on the elevator, I confirmed to one of the agent that he said the "first" and not the "third" (because I didn't want to get yelled at lol). He was empathetic and said "yeah I know, with the masks I'm always having people repeat themselves". Regardless, there's a sticker with the name of the consulate right by the elevator button for the consulate so you can't get it wrong. The security guy upstairs was nice. I was very very stressed going there, but once I sat down it got better. The building isn't nearly as intimidating and formal as I was expecting it to be - it reminded me of where I went to get my health care (RAMQ) card. The two officers I spoke with were very nice, the second was actually very friendly!

Now for the details, I'll try to remember as well as I can! The first officer only asked for my passport, birth certificate, our marriage certificate, police check and passport pictures. I'm a temporary resident here so he did ask about my status, I showed him my work permit. He confirmed my husband's address, phone number, occupation; my date of birth; the date of our marriage; he asked if I ever had any issue crossing the border, if I had ever been arrested. He confirmed how long I'd been here in Canada for. He gave me the pamphlet on domestic violence. It was a little hard to hear him with the mask and the glass but he seemed to be mindful of it and he was also kind of turning his head to have his ears towards me when I was speaking. So I think that if you can't hear them well, they'll be understanding of it (I'm specifying because that was my worry!). Then I sat back and waited to be called for the second part of the process.

The second officer started off by thanking me for my patience and saying I was at the end of a long road - which kind of told me right away that I was going to be approved!! He had a speaker of some sort so it was very easy to hear him. Then he asked me to tell him about my husband, how we met. He asked what was the longest I'd ever stayed in the US (I said about 2.5 months during the lockdown), how often we see each other, if it was a first marriage for both of us, what does my husband do, what do I do. He said everything looked really good, lots of green lights. Then he said he'd hang on to my passport. He gave me a paper to show at customs because my packet will be electronic, I won't have an actual envelope to give them when I cross at POE. He told me a couple of logistic things about getting my passport back that I can't remember at all (oops) because I was suddenly realizing that we were finally DONE and I was getting emotional lol. But I live in Montreal so the passport just has to cross the city. Then my eyes filled with tears, I couldn't speak for a couple of seconds so I just looked at him with the most grateful look. He was like "yay, happy tears, that's good right?" lol. He congratulated me, told me to "take care". A very nice gentleman!

So globally, I would say it was very stressful leading up to it but the actual interview was painless. The officers are nice, the questions are very standard ones. I was definitely over prepared paperwork wise, knowing now what they actually asked me for. But I would 10000% recommend doing in this way: it's best going in knowing that, whatever they ask you for, you can just pull it out of your binder and give it to them. It was definitely a thought I held on to when I got nervous about interviewing! 

Also note that I had uploaded the following documents on CEAC a week before the interview, even though I didn't get an email: 2019 tax transcripts and W2, my more recent police check, and an updated I-864. This last one had changed quite a bit since the NVC stage but they didn't ask for any supporting documents (namely updated bank statements or a letter from my employer, since we're using my income and assets to qualify). I think we really went to town at the NVC stage with the supporting documents, so it made the rest of the process go smoothly.

That's it, I hope it helps! Pheeeew, what a crazy ride. Seeing my husband's smile on my phone screen when I told him was just amazing 😍: 😭  I'll relax for real once I get my tracking number. I hope to be able to fly down this weekend, I cannot wait to be reunited with my spouse... and our 2 cats of course!!! I'm going home!!!!

THIS MADE ME SO HAPPY! Congratulations and thank you for the detailed write up on your experience. Wishing you all the best as you embark on this new journey with your husband in the USA. ❤️ 

By the way, how did you answer the "How we met" question? I know you were wondering how much information would be too much? I'm curious how that went for you!

Edited by Lovepeace0303

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lovepeace0303 said:

THIS MADE ME SO HAPPY! Congratulations and thank you for the detailed write up on your experience. Wishing you all the best as you embark on this new journey with your husband in the USA. ❤️ 

By the way, how did you answer the "How we met" question? I know you were wondering how much information would be too much? I'm curious how that went for you!

Thank you so much 😊 I'm so grateful but everything is very surreal for now!!

I simply said "in COUNTRY when studying abroad, it was in DATE so it's been a little while now!" 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Still waiting for reports from @AAA0523& @realmadrid23...

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Timeline

I have a couple of questions about the I864 for those who have already interviewed because I can't get a straight answer on either:

1. Did they ask for the original I864 or was a copy ok? An original with wet ink signatures from both my husband and our lawyer does not exist since it was done over email. I have the version with my husband's wet ink signature (that doesn't match what was uploaded to CEAC because it is missing the lawyer's signature) and a copy that has both signatures (and matches what was uploaded to CEAC) but neither are wet ink. I could also potentially get the one with a wet ink signature from our lawyer but it won't have a wet ink signature from my husband since they signed a scan. Our lawyer is dodging this question so I'm a little worried. 

2. Did you bring a new I864 with recent information given that the original is roughly a year old? Did they ask for it if you did?

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, realmadrid23 said:

Hi everyone, Thankyou so much for your help. I am travelling back to Toronto. This forum has been a huge huge help for me. Everybody is super helpful. Overall it was a positive experience. They are very nice and helpful and very understanding. They asked for tax returns, police certificates and orignal marriage and birth certificates. After that i was asked to wait. Then the next officer was also super nice. He asked me questions regarding my marriage. And asked how will i be travelling. Overall it was the best experience!! Thankyou everyone for your help!! 

So that means you got approved, right?

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.