Canadianb

Married through a k-1 visa- looking to return to Canada

23 posts in this topic

Hi so I’m sorry if this has been asked or if I’m in the wrong area, any help is appreciated.

so I’m Canadian and married my husband who is American through a k-1 visa and currently am an American resident. 

my questions is how do I go about filing for him to come to Canada instead (I assume it would take a year or so processing) and can he stay in Canada while we process it or not. (We have two children).

if any one can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I know that you didn't ask for this, but I can't stop myself :) Since you don't have a timeline, I don't know for how long you have been a permanent resident in the US/if you are eligible for dual citizenship if you wish so.

But wanted to note that if you decide to permanently move back to Canada, you might have to surrender your greencard voluntarely, and if you ever plan to return go through the IR1 spousal process again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Canadianb said:

Hi so I’m sorry if this has been asked or if I’m in the wrong area, any help is appreciated.

so I’m Canadian and married my husband who is American through a k-1 visa and currently am an American resident. 

my questions is how do I go about filing for him to come to Canada instead (I assume it would take a year or so processing) and can he stay in Canada while we process it or not. (We have two children).

if any one can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Keep in mind that if you are outside of the US 6 months or more you could be considered to have abandoned your status if you are a permanent resident. It would be better if you got US citizenship and then immigrated him to Canada. If you immigrant him now without you having US citizenship you will most likely lose your status in the US and have to start again with an IR-1 visa if you decide to come back to the US. 

1 minute ago, Quarknase said:

I know that you didn't ask for this, but I can't stop myself :) Since you don't have a timeline, I don't know for how long you have been a permanent resident in the US/if you are eligible for dual citizenship if you wish so.

But wanted to note that if you decide to permanently move back to Canada, you might have to surrender your greencard voluntarely, and if you ever plan to return go through the IR1 spousal process again.

I couldn’t stop myself either...lol

Edited by CDN(ON)-USA(VT)

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline
2 minutes ago, CDN(ON)-USA(VT) said:

couldn’t stop myself either...lol

We've seen it happen here so many times, that folks ran into processing issues with new applications after not properly surrendering LPR status. I think it's important to know, especially since I assume that not only the husband, but also the kids have American Citizenship.

*~*~*moved from “K-3 spouse visa” to “emigrating outside the US”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

8 minutes ago, Quarknase said:

We've seen it happen here so many times, that folks ran into processing issues with new applications after not properly surrendering LPR status. I think it's important to know, especially since I assume that not only the husband, but also the kids have American Citizenship.

Okay thank you, I don’t have a time line :) I’m looking into it because the health care here is killing me with two kids lol. That’s being said , I get what you guys are saying. IF I get my citizenship here then I can return later on if I want to correct ? That won’t cause issues with my Canadian citizenship? I was really looking to return in 5 years most probable. So I am filling out the paper work for my kids to have Canadian citizenship as well.
I’ve already been here 3 years I think I can get citizenship in another two? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Canadianb said:

Okay thank you, I don’t have a time line :) I’m looking into it because the health care here is killing me with two kids lol. That’s being said , I get what you guys are saying. IF I get my citizenship here then I can return later on if I want to correct ? That won’t cause issues with my Canadian citizenship? I was really looking to return in 5 years most probable. So I am filling out the paper work for my kids to have Canadian citizenship as well.

If you gained permanent residency through your current husband, you are actually eligible to file 90 days before your 3 year anniversary of your LPR status: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/guides/chapter4.pdf

I am not sure about Canadian rules for dual citizenship, you would have to look those up for Canada specifically (unless there are Canadians here that know). The US doesn't have an issue with dual citizenship, so from that side you're clear. Yes, once you are naturalized you can come and go as you please :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dual citizenship is perfectly fine with Canada. Since you do plan at some point to return to the US I would definitely get USC. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Should you become a citizen, you will also have to file US taxes (not necessarily pay, but file every year).  Might or might not be significant in your situation/income, but something to consider. 

20 hours ago, Canadianb said:

What is the issuance date on your PR card? Add 3 years to that. 90 days PRIOR to the 3-year anniversary, your window for citizenship application opens. But be aware that for US naturalization, you must meet the residency requirements. You also risk losing PR status if you are out of the US for more than six months. Usually, this means one long continuous stretch of six months or more. But if you leave the US every every month and are abroad for a month at a time or something similar, this may trigger CBP suspicions. They technically can't revoke PR status and you have to go to immigration court if they feel you have violated residency. It'd just be best to plan accordingly and minimize any risks. 

Edited by mushroomspore

16 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

What is the issuance date on your PR card? Add 3 years to that. 90 days PRIOR to the 3-year anniversary, your window for citizenship application opens. But be aware that for US naturalization, you must meet the residency requirements. You also risk losing PR status if you are out of the US for more than six months. Usually, this means one long continuous stretch of six months or more. But if you leave the US every every month and are abroad for a month at a time or something similar, this may trigger CBP suspicions. They technically can't revoke PR status and you have to go to immigration court if they feel you have violated residency. It'd just be best to plan accordingly and minimize any risks. 

01/31/17 Is my issue date.

I don’t plan to keep going back and forth, we are looking into a permanent move in the future but I would like the option to return to the United States as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room.. health insurance. You need to see if you lost your benefits in Canada being a resident of the US. If you become a citizen in the US you also need to see if this voids your benefits in Canada. I feel I've read somewhere it does. .. but I suggest you looking into this if health insurance is your main reason to move. Additionally- look into if your husband would ever qualify for health insurance in Canada without giving up his US citizenship.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.