Canadianb

Married through a k-1 visa- looking to return to Canada

23 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Luckycuds said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room.. health insurance. You need to see if you lost your benefits in Canada being a resident of the US. If you become a citizen in the US you also need to see if this voids your benefits in Canada. I feel I've read somewhere it does. .. but I suggest you looking into this if health insurance is your main reason to move. Additionally- look into if your husband would ever qualify for health insurance in Canada without giving up his US citizenship.

You have to live in Canada for 6 months for the health benefits. I doubt becoming a citizen in USA will affect that since I know someone in Canada who is permanent resident and gets the health benefits. I was born in Canada so I dont think I’ll have issue there but definitely why I’m looking into it. 

1 hour ago, Canadianb said:

You have to live in Canada for 6 months for the health benefits. I doubt becoming a citizen in USA will affect that since I know someone in Canada who is permanent resident and gets the health benefits. I was born in Canada so I dont think I’ll have issue there but definitely why I’m looking into it. 

What province? Only 3 months in BC. Just a warning it takes forever and a day to get a proof of Canadian citizenship certificate. If you think USCIS is slow just wait until you try to get your kids their Canadian paperwork. I sent my son’s off in feb and I’m still waiting for the application receipt notice. I’ve called and they’re still sending out letters to applicants in December. To be clear, that’s a receipt just confirming they received your paperwork. I can only imagine how long the actual certificate will take. 

Edited by Cndn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the elephant in the room.. health insurance. You need to see if you lost your benefits in Canada being a resident of the US. If you become a citizen in the US you also need to see if this voids your benefits in Canada. I feel I've read somewhere it does. .. but I suggest you looking into this if health insurance is your main reason to move. Additionally- look into if your husband would ever qualify for health insurance in Canada without giving up his US citizenship.

One cannot be a resident in the US and still expect to keep their Canadian health care.  Once they meet the required time back in Canada (3-6 months depending on the province) they will be able to get it back no problems. Canada has no issues with dual citizenship so it will have no baring on health insurance either. 

I wouldn't worry about taxes to deter you about getting USC. Your USC spouse is moving with you so it's not like you won't be filling them anyway.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

4 hours ago, Cndn said:

What province? Only 3 months in BC. Just a warning it takes forever and a day to get a proof of Canadian citizenship certificate. If you think USCIS is slow just wait until you try to get your kids their Canadian paperwork. I sent my son’s off in feb and I’m still waiting for the application receipt notice. I’ve called and they’re still sending out letters to applicants in December. To be clear, that’s a receipt just confirming they received your paperwork. I can only imagine how long the actual certificate will take. 

Originally from Ontario! 

yeah that’s why I want to send the paper off for them now! Just so they have their citizenship for later on. Like I said, I’m not rushing to move right this minute :) just miss Canada and definitely miss free health care. I imagine with everything going on in the world at the moment it will take quite awhile. When I renewed my residency after the two year mark here in the US it took longer than a year to get my green card identification (10 year expiration now). 

28 minutes ago, Canadianb said:

Originally from Ontario! 

yeah that’s why I want to send the paper off for them now! Just so they have their citizenship for later on. Like I said, I’m not rushing to move right this minute :) just miss Canada and definitely miss free health care. I imagine with everything going on in the world at the moment it will take quite awhile. When I renewed my residency after the two year mark here in the US it took longer than a year to get my green card identification (10 year expiration now). 

Yeah the person I spoke with at the Sydney, Nova Scotia processing centre (where you will send your children’s proof of citizenship applications) said their staff has been drastically reduced due to covid. It’s good you’re not in a rush but I still just wanted to give you a heads up. I’ve also obtained a US CRBA for our daughter who was born in Canada and it took only 6 weeks, so I’m shocked at how long this is taking in Canada. 

14 hours ago, Canadianb said:

Each province has different requirements to health benefits.

23 hours ago, Canadianb said:

01/31/17 Is my issue date.

I don’t plan to keep going back and forth, we are looking into a permanent move in the future but I would like the option to return to the United States as well.

Oh so your 3-year anniversary has already passed. Have you applied for citizenship yet? 

I also saw your other post about being from Ontario. I'm from Toronto! Having dual citizenship doesn't matter at all when it comes to reinstating your OHIP. Whenever the time is right, you just have to show you've been in Ontario/Canada for six months. You're already a Canadian citizen and that's never going to change, so having American citizenship won't be a factor.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.