NAIndians2020

US Born Sponsor & Canadian Citizen Beneficiary

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, NAIndians2020 said:

It's not pre-covid anymore is it? so 24 months sounds appropriate, no?

I don't know what the new timeline will look like after the consulates open up again.   I have heard that some consulates are classifying CR-1 visas a higher priority.  Only you and your fiance can determine your own priorities.  I am just providing information.  I do know that I see many, many posters here who regretted the K-1 due tot the hardships of adjustment of status.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Could be more, could be less.  It depends on when the consulate resumes normal visa processing    Another item to consider is that spousal visas are deemed "mission critical " and k1s are not.  So in the event the consulate doesn't resume normal Visa processing but only mission critical processing it could have a significant impact.   Nobody knows for sure.   Pick your poison and roll the dice. 

To avoid any uncertainty, when you say "spousal visa" you mean CR-1 applications are deemed "mission critical?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Adjustment of status is not a hardship if your eyes ARE WIDE OPEN.  If you caught with your pants down, it most likely will be. 

YMMV

Timeline
5 hours ago, NAIndians2020 said:

Well she's the one that suggested it. You're acting like I made this decision. We want to start a family now, so this whole thing is annoying to say the least.

Yes, this immigration process requires a great deal of KNOWLEDGE, PLANNING, time, patience, and some money.  

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, NAIndians2020 said:

To avoid any uncertainty, when you say "spousal visa" you mean CR-1 applications are deemed "mission critical?"

CR-1 is a spousal visa......

Timeline
1 minute ago, NAIndians2020 said:

Or IR1, both are for spouses of USCs

YMMV

Timeline

True....Knowledge and planning are important.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

People on here are really negative on K1 right now because of the Executive Order that came out recently. 

Canadians only have special processes when applying for most non-immigrate visas, not for Immigrant Visas.

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

People on here are really negative on K1 right now because of the Executive Order that came out recently. 

Canadians only have special processes when applying for most non-immigrate visas, not for Immigrant Visas.

What recent EO was this?

YMMV

Timeline
54 minutes ago, NAIndians2020 said:

Well she's the one that suggested it. You're acting like I made this decision. We want to start a family now, so this whole thing is annoying to say the least.

If you want to start a family I would suggest making decisions together and owning them together. You both should discuss the pros and cons of the K-1 and CR-1 and make a decision together. Trust me when I say, having one person make a decision is not good. Also, if you are passive like I have been and have her make decisions most of the time this will not be good for your marriage. This will really affect you if you want children. You do not want to have two different parenting styles that clash. 

Concerning immigration, you will go through a lot of annoying, stressful, and frustrating times. This will affect your marriage if you let it take over. At this moment and through out this process things are out of your control. 

Concerning K-1 vs CR-1, I would suggest getting married and filing for CR-1. The reason being that there is a proposed hike in fees so you may save money if you go CR-1 route. The proposed fee changes for Adjustment of Status (AOS/I-485), Work Authorization (EAD/I-765) and Advance Parole (AP/I-131) are going to be $2750. Right now the cost for the above is $1760. Right now going the CR-1 route saves people $560 dollars but will save them $1550 if the new fees are approved. 

Again, the decision is up to you and your fiancee and you both have to decide whether having a family now or saving money is more important. 

Good luck. 

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

24 minutes ago, Henry357 said:

I'm not negative about the K1 because of any EO, but because I went through the process and it was very hard.

I was naive, had not done enough research, and we (or mostly my husband) thought that being together as soon as possible was the most important thing to consider. So we did the K1 and I was miserable for 6 months, sitting at home, no social network, no license, my husband at work all day. In hindsight, doing the CR1 and being able to work, drive, travel, etc immediately would have definitely been worth the extra wait.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, NAIndians2020 said:

We want to start a family now, so this whole thing is annoying to say the least.

Either option will be a long wait, especially with COVID-19 and all the uncertainty surrounding potential timelines, backlogs for petition adjudications, USCIS furloughs, backlogs for an interview in Montreal, consulate re-opening, etc.  Yes, it's annoying but it's mostly out of your control, that's the way it works with cross-border relationships.  Good luck whatever you decide!

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

I'm not negative about the K1 because of any EO, but because I went through the process and it was very hard.

I was naive, had not done enough research, and we (or mostly my husband) thought that being together as soon as possible was the most important thing to consider. So we did the K1 and I was miserable for 6 months, sitting at home, no social network, no license, my husband at work all day. In hindsight, doing the CR1 and being able to work, drive, travel, etc immediately would have definitely been worth the extra wait.

I agree, People assume that oh since I’m engaged I should get a K1 without thinking strategical. 

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

1 hour ago, CDN(ON)-USA(VT) said:

If you want to start a family I would suggest making decisions together and owning them together. You both should discuss the pros and cons of the K-1 and CR-1 and make a decision together. Trust me when I say, having one person make a decision is not good. Also, if you are passive like I have been and have her make decisions most of the time this will not be good for your marriage. This will really affect you if you want children. You do not want to have two different parenting styles that clash. 

Concerning immigration, you will go through a lot of annoying, stressful, and frustrating times. This will affect your marriage if you let it take over. At this moment and through out this process things are out of your control. 

Concerning K-1 vs CR-1, I would suggest getting married and filing for CR-1. The reason being that there is a proposed hike in fees so you may save money if you go CR-1 route. The proposed fee changes for Adjustment of Status (AOS/I-485), Work Authorization (EAD/I-765) and Advance Parole (AP/I-131) are going to be $2750. Right now the cost for the above is $1760. Right now going the CR-1 route saves people $560 dollars but will save them $1550 if the new fees are approved. 

Again, the decision is up to you and your fiancee and you both have to decide whether having a family now or saving money is more important. 

Good luck. 

I've done months of research. Both K-1 & CR-1 have their benefits. Not that worried about money. Everyone's worried about my fiancee sitting around and going crazy with idle time waiting for work authorization and green card etc, but like I said we want to start a family. She'd just be going on maternity leave anyway so they point start that by the time she comes.

Either way, I searched many forums in the past and other sites about both options. I decided to make an account because we are concerned about timing and want a little bit of closure on timing which I think we can safely say will be a year +/- a month or if we're lucky two.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Actually with what is happening with immigration, I will chose CR1 over K1....Yes it takes longer time but at least I can take advantage of the waiting period

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.