Tara & Chris B

Countries Open to US and EU Travelers

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Hello friends,

I'm hoping to begin a discussion (or find an existing one!) regarding the options we LDR-ers have for meeting our significant others in countries other than our own. As we all know, many borders have closed to international visitors since the beginning of the pandemic. Most information posted online is not being maintained as current, or lacks specific clarity. We've begun contacting local embassies and consulates general individually, but even they have been reluctant to give definitive answers. 

I am a US citizen, living in NY, and my fiance is a French citizen, living in Barcelona. Neither of our countries are currently permitting us to visit in our homes. We are looking for places to go this month - countries that are open to both US and EU travelers- so we can see each other for the first time in six months! I've also teamed up with a friend in a similar situation, with a boyfriend in the Netherlands, and we think we need more minds on this.

If anyone is aware of a country with its borders open to both the US and EU, please let me know, and provide your confidence level and a source for this information, if you can ? I'm compiling this information in a Google Sheet, and I'll be happy to share with everyone here.

So far, we've only been able to confirm Aruba (for July 1- EU, and July 10-US) - though the flight routes from Spain are far less than ideal, we can make it work if need be. We just want to explore all options, and find the most cost-effective and convenient option. We were also looking closely at Puerto Rico, but have sought confirmation from the local embassies, and they have either been reluctant to answer with any definitiveness, or have just avoided answering the question entirely. 

Even five minds are better than our four - but a hundred would be awesome!

Thank you so much!

Tara

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I am curious if Puerto Rico is an option; I would say no because it's part of the US. Haiti just opened up yesterday it you want to rough it.. but hey at least you'd be together.. 😉 Have you tried Northern Africa? South America? 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

I am curious if Puerto Rico is an option; I would say no because it's part of the US. Haiti just opened up yesterday it you want to rough it.. but hey at least you'd be together.. 😉 Have you tried Northern Africa? South America? 

Northern Africa is closed for international flights

list here of closed countries which was updated july 1st

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/worldwide/worldwide-travel-alerts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Serbia seems to be another potential destination (with a caveat that borders anywhere can close at any time, of course). I’ll probably try entering US in september with a b1 visa if things don’t get better by then and right now my plan is to quarantine there

Timeline

That's fantastic about Mexico! I was looking at their restrictions, and couldn't find anything that gave me much confidence. But I'm so glad to hear that! And very happy for you two! If you can, let us know how it goes when you get back. Enjoy!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
4 hours ago, Tara & Chris B said:

Hey, @Sego, which state in Mexico are you traveling to? I think each state has its own restrictions... is that right? Thank you!!

We are going in the Nayarit state. Ive checked with our air bnb host and they told us everything is re-open but with restrictions like restaurant closing earlier than usual. No covid cases to report in the town we will go

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does anyone have any updates on this? The list of eligible countries to fly to from the U.K. can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-countries-and-territories-exempt-from-advice-against-all-but-essential-international-travel

Is there a similar list for the US? Thinking of trying to meet up at the beginning of next month.

Timeline

@BC97-  I have to say, I've gone through so many lists. Even Kayak has it's own list, but I promise you, we've read all of them, and gone through everything. There are many locations, and it's best to try to find one with reasonable prices and flight durations (some of the connections from Europe are daunting to say the least - up to 46 hours). And then contact your embassy in that location directly to confirm. 

I've found Aruba to be the most friendly and clear thus far. But there is also Bermuda, the UAE, some states in Mexico. but as some have said, the border situation is changing every day. Puerto Rico is on many lists, and their website says they're open - however, we attempted to contact the embassies there to confirm, and no one could give us any confidence. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
On 7/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, Sego said:

Hey, I am french and my fiancé from the US currently there and we will meet up in Mexico next Monday. The country is open to both citizenship 

Yes, Mexico is open by air and you can stay 180 days visa free for many citizens.  I will be meeting my fiancee soon and we plan to wait out this nonsense from there for a while.  Cancun is one of the safer areas COVID or otherwise.  Good luck everyone!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.