Throwaway3882828

Not enough evidence of a bona fide marriage?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So my green card expires on 9/11 and it's already june now. I should have prepared earlier but I didn't know it's going to come up so fast. I basically only have this things for evidence; joint tax return, health, dental and car insurance, affidavits signed by his parents and a couple of pictures together. We don't have any utilities or leases both in our names and no joint bank account because I don't work yet,  and I don't have a drivers license because I don't drive either. I'm very worried that this won't be enough as evidence. Is there anything else that we can add to this? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You need more evidence but like you said you have time so you are in luck. Go obtain a state ID and open a joint bank account. You don’t need a job to have a bank account. Both VERY easy to obtain. Your husband can add you to a user of his credit card as well and you can create wills. That will show proof of living together and commingling finances which are two important pieces that show the legit relationship.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

You need more evidence but like you said you have time so you are in luck. Go obtain a state ID and open a joint bank account. You don’t need a job to have a bank account. Both VERY easy to obtain. Your husband can add you to a user of his credit card as well and you can create wills. That will show proof of living together and commingling finances which are two important pieces that show the legit relationship.

State ID is different from a drivers license? I don't think I can do all of this in the time that I have :(

A lot of people disagree with me on this one;

Yo ucan only submit what you have. It is not the amount your got, it's the reasoning behind certain things that makes or breaks the case. For now, think about what you may have overlooked, phone plans for instance or policies showing the other as beneficiary. Invites showing both names.

A valid license or state ID is not required but you have time (if DMV is open) so you might as well get one now.

Joint bank account is not required, it is nice to have but useless if it shows no activity.

Worse case scenario, you get an interview. There you will be able to explain why certain things are not there.

The IO is looking for a couple answering questions, not two individuals, if that makes sense.

Both my wife and me have had bad experiences with joint accounts with previous partners. So neither of us wanted it and when we explained that, the IO said it made perfect sense. My wife got the house before I showed up, no need to ad me to mortgage. But she did ad me as the beneficiary for her 401K. We had no pictures of us together. Either I take pictures or she does kind of hard to both be in them that way. We had a few of me with the kids (from her previous marriage) so I added those. We had not taken any trips together either, reason being I rather spent the money on the kids going to see there dad during the summer and we can only spent the money ones. Again the IO nodded in approval and moved on.

It will take them roughly 2 minutes, I think, to figure out if you are for real or not. The rest of the questions is a combination of confirming their thoughts, going through the file to make sure everything you gave them is correct and some small talk. Now if you are not a "real" couple or you have a bunch of red flags things will get different pretty quickly.

I do agree with the previous post. 

It is not about fabricating evidence to fulfill a requirement, but being honest. Each couple is different. Worst thing that can happen is getting an RFE or being called for an interview. 

On other threads, some members advise to include a letter explaining why you don't have a joint bank account.

If you don't drive, you should get a real ID. Will serve as evidence for ROC, but mostly, it will be your official ID for traveling domestic beginning next year. After all the necessary paperwork at your nearest DMV office, it takes 3-4 weeks to arrive it in the mail.

Other things you should have that are important -and work as evidence- is you being your husband's beneficiary for the 401k and for his bank account in case of death. 

Also, if you have mail addressed to both, include it -even Christmas cards from family and such-.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
2 hours ago, Throwaway3882828 said:

State ID is different from a drivers license? I don't think I can do all of this in the time that I have :(

Your husband should be helping you out. In CT you get a state ID at the DMV in a day. Now it may not be open but if it is there’s no reason you shouldn’t have one. I imagine you are carrying your passport everywhere for your photo ID? Not necessary- just get an ID.
I’m unsure how obtaining an ID is fabricating your relationship. Also why chance having to explain at the interview why you don’t have this or that- the officer can chose to believe you or not. Some people may have a nice and understanding officer while others may not.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Try this.  It's not about how MUCH you have.  It's how you sell your story.

Good luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

I agree with the posts here that’s encouraging you to bring whatever you have, drafting up some documents hurriedly doesn’t cut it if it’s there it’s there if not then it’s not it’s all about how you present your case. Look these people are human beings thinking just Like you and me 

if something doesn’t adds up then you know what it means don’t stress yourself over anything once you know that your marriage is real and you got some valuable joint documents I think you should be fine

not all couples agree with certain documents being joint. 😉

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was able to add my wife's name to our phone/cable bills (Verizon) and electric bill over the phone.  Very quick and the next bills came with both our names.

You may not need to open a new checking account.  Again, I added my wife to my existing account in about 5 minutes, but you will both probably need to visit the bank.

Life insurance beneficiary statements?  Medical power of attorney (templates are available online)? - Jason

You can also do Medical Powers of Attorney and Living Wills for each other; that's a good thing to do.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

19 hours ago, Throwaway3882828 said:

But u need to remember that they what the evidence since you came here in country that you guys are building your marriage together slow. 

Timeline

Send what you have.  You already went through AoS without the same items.  Honestly, I think we sent the least amount of evidence for RoC because we did not have much that was new, all was the same as from AoS.  If my wife gets called in for an interview, the only new change is that we are now buying a home together.  You just need to wait and see if they want an interview then answer honestly.  Work on getting the joint account and anything else, you can always present it later if it is requested or you go in for an interview.  

My wife does not drive, does not have a State Issued ID, nor does she work.  If we get called for an interview, it is an easy explanation.  She is a stay at home mom for our 2 year old son and my income is sufficient.  She never drove in her home country and has not needed to get a license here.

God willing you will not need an interview or receive any kind of RFE.  Good Luck

How about:

For photos, if you have pictures with each others' family members will help a lot! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/18/2020 at 5:39 PM, Throwaway3882828 said:

So my green card expires on 9/11 and it's already june now. I should have prepared earlier but I didn't know it's going to come up so fast. I basically only have this things for evidence; joint tax return, health, dental and car insurance, affidavits signed by his parents and a couple of pictures together. We don't have any utilities or leases both in our names and no joint bank account because I don't work yet,  and I don't have a drivers license because I don't drive either. I'm very worried that this won't be enough as evidence. Is there anything else that we can add to this? 

I was not added to any of our utility bills for our main residence. I submitted a few other things like the following:

1) It may sound redundant but you can also request online for tax transcripts and have it mailed to you.

2) Also, add more pictures of you and spouse together with friends and other family members.

3) And yes opening a joint account need not have a huge balance.

4) Another option would be asking for a notarized letter of support from your friends.

Good luck!

Edited by jaya_razz

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.