wilcouk

AOS in progress, EAD in hand, can i fly?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
30 minutes ago, wilcouk said:

Out of interest, i have my EAD already with AP, am i able to fly domestically now? Like can i just present my EAD without using a passport?

Prior to October 2021, all you need for domestic flight is a driver's license. If you have the EAD/AP card now, I'm afraid a passport is necessary, and the combo card acts only as verification of an "authorized stay." EAD/AP card is not on the TSA acceptable ID list. So a driver's license, or a passport with the combo card.  

43 minutes ago, wilcouk said:

Out of interest, i have my EAD already with AP, am i able to fly domestically now? Like can i just present my EAD without using a passport?

there is no immigrant check when you fly domestically including Hawaii and Alaska. All you need is an DL or passport 

duh

31 minutes ago, wilcouk said:

I can get myself a REAL I.D instead of a DL but i'm pretty reluctant to use my UK passport as the i-94 is expired and still being in AOS makes for a rather uncomfortable possible experience

If your travel is domestic then I doubt CBP would even look past the ID page. I travel domesticly at few times a month and have never had the passport flicked thru.

They just scan the ID page with the UVB light and check the details match the boarding pass.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country:
Timeline
2 hours ago, wilcouk said:

I can get myself a REAL I.D instead of a DL but i'm pretty reluctant to use my UK passport as the i-94 is expired and still being in AOS makes for a rather uncomfortable possible experience

You should be able to get a Real D.L with the star on it (since DL is changing from next year). With your EAD/AP and passport you can travel domestically . TSA is only interested in matching names and details on the boarding pass. There is no need to worry.  Also have you applied for your SS card?

10 minutes ago, sweetadams said:

You should be able to get a Real D.L with the star on it (since DL is changing from next year). With your EAD/AP and passport you can travel domestically . TSA is only interested in matching names and details on the boarding pass. There is no need to worry.  Also have you applied for your SS card?

So i do have my SS card but my problem as i found out today is that i only have my first and last name on the card not my middle name and according to the DMV i need my middle name so cant get REAL I.D ho hum and the SSA arnt open to correct it.

So if i show TSA, my UK passport + EAD/AP Card they'll be fine? Ive heard stories of ICE / CPB questioning AOS applicants etc.

37 minutes ago, wilcouk said:

So if i show TSA, my UK passport + EAD/AP Card they'll be fine? Ive heard stories of ICE / CPB questioning AOS applicants etc.

Yes, you are fine. 

Though it is possible, it is quite unlikely you'll be stopped by CBP/ICE while traveling domestically. And if you do, you have everything to prove your immigration status, so no worries. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, wilcouk said:

You can use EAD alone: 

Adult passengers 18 and over must show valid identification at the airport checkpoint in order to travel.

• Driver's licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport card
  • DHS trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)
  • U.S. Department of Defense ID, including IDs issued to dependents
  • Permanent resident card
  • Border crossing card
  • State-issued Enhanced Driver’s License
  • Federally recognized, tribal-issued photo ID
  • HSPD-12 PIV card
  • Foreign government-issued passport
  • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
  • Transportation worker identification credential
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential

ROC

03/05/2019 Notice to Transfer to Nebraska Service Center

04/05/2018 NOA from CSC (Biometrics waved) 

AOS

09/15/2016 EAD/AP Approved, Card in production, 09/23/2016 EAD/AP Received!

07/26/2015 Biometrics Notice Mailed (Appt 08/12/2015)

07/17/2015 NOA I-130/AOS/EAD/AP

10 hours ago, vanessanguyen083 said:

If you have the EAD/AP card now, I'm afraid a passport is necessary

Incorrect. EAD is sufficient.

10 hours ago, vanessanguyen083 said:

EAD/AP card is not on the TSA acceptable ID list.

It is on the list: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

"U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)"

10 hours ago, wilcouk said:

Like can i just present my EAD without using a passport?

Yes. See the TSA link above.

8 hours ago, wilcouk said:

So i do have my SS card but my problem as i found out today is that i only have my first and last name on the card not my middle name and according to the DMV i need my middle name so cant get REAL I.D ho hum and the SSA arnt open to correct it.

you are complicating everything. Just present your UK passport to TSA.   TSA is not ICE. Its a different story when your fly international 

duh

Timeline
12 hours ago, wilcouk said:

I believe you are able to fly domestically regardless of EAD/AP. You only need your foreign passport. You only use AP when re-entering the country.

14 minutes ago, Manuel94 said:

I believe you are able to fly domestically regardless of EAD/AP. You only need your foreign passport. You only use AP when re-entering the country.

Correct. My husband and I flew to Seattle and then backpacked through Alaska (and we are from the east coast) all on his foreign passport before he even had his EAD/AP. Then we traveled internationally on his AP all before he even had a green card. We always carried the NOA1 just in case we were asked but we were never asked a thing.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
12 hours ago, wilcouk said:

The TSA will not be checking any passport pages, so no worries using your passport to fly domestically. If you can get a Real ID go ahead, then domestically you don't even need to carry your passport, or even present it. I always carry my passport because I could leave the country on a whim without returning home to get my passport, so it is always on me when traveling. And I keep it separate from my ID in case one gets lost or missing you still have something to travel on.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.