Chrissyb455

K1 Visas are NOT exempted from the April 2020 immigration suspension

51 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2020 at 6:07 AM, fluffykim said:

and now its STILL hurry up and wait.  Been in limbo since March waiting for our green card interview (the next step after k1) and because of virus/offices closed to public, same situation as everyone else...holding pattern.  Fingers crossed and good luck to everyone in their journeys :)

All interviews should resume as soon as offices open. If you are here legally there should not be a problem when the offices re open. They are still working inside the offices just not open to the general public too.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
On 4/30/2020 at 6:23 AM, Claukittens said:

This petition could make a difference. We don’t know if there are gonna be more restrictions on non immigrant visas like K1. Right now, K1 applicants are having a hard time with consular processing even thought CR1s are being currently processed in other countries.

Are they? They've suspended all routine visa processing, so it'd be weird if they were.

3 hours ago, JCP said:

If they’re not processing the k1 visas how did someone get an emergency interview just the other day?

Australia is processing emergency interviews but no normal ones.

Timeline
4 hours ago, JCP said:

If they’re not processing the k1 visas how did someone get an emergency interview just the other day?

Because an emergency interview isn't routine. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

It's my understanding that the K1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa. The executive order only applies to immigrant visas. The difference is that an immigrant visa allows a person to come into the country indefinitely. Non-immigrant visas allows a person to enter the country on a temporary basis either one time or multiple entries. For the K1 Visa, it is a single entry visa, once the couple is married within the 90 day period, then they apply for adjustment of status. 

On 4/30/2020 at 7:59 AM, Rob Beri said:

I mean why prepare for it when it could be a month from now, or a year from now. It's not like you are preparing to pass the bar exam. The beneficiary will be asked questions that should be natural to asnwer. Easy.

Even if it's two years from now  why on earth would you not want to give yourself EVERY chance at success? No it's not always natural for some couples. If you get a CO like what my wife had you'll wish you did practice, rehearse or whatever you want to call it. I stressed that we go over things before the interview and it was a darn good thing that we did considering the amount and kind of questions she was asked. Don't take the interview for granted is all I can say. You never know what kind of CO you'll get or what kind of day they had. Sure the COs are professional, but they are people first!!!!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Erin & Ricky said:

It's my understanding that the K1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa. The executive order only applies to immigrant visas. The difference is that an immigrant visa allows a person to come into the country indefinitely. Non-immigrant visas allows a person to enter the country on a temporary basis either one time or multiple entries. For the K1 Visa, it is a single entry visa, once the couple is married within the 90 day period, then they apply for adjustment of status. 

The suspension of routine visa services isn't tied to the EO. They could end the EO or even the Schengen ban today and they still wouldn't issue visas until they stopped the suspension.

Theoretically they could keep that going forever, though, especially in the countries that are part of the Visa waiver program, and no one would care enough to fight them over it. It'd probably be something the next admin would undo, but that could take another 5 years. To be fair, if that does happen I'd expect to see a lot of people travel there on ESTA, get married and file for AOS, as risky as that is.

There's no way that airlines are going to survive a 6 year travel ban.

Edited by sl1pstream

4 hours ago, JCP said:

Hey guys I contacted a immigration lawyer and she said that k1 visas are still being processed. She’s an award winning lawyer I don’t think she’s be spreading wrong information 

On what basis was that reached, and how does that differ from the consensus?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
23 hours ago, sl1pstream said:

The suspension of routine visa services isn't tied to the EO. They could end the EO or even the Schengen ban today and they still wouldn't issue visas until they stopped the suspension.

Theoretically they could keep that going forever, though, especially in the countries that are part of the Visa waiver program, and no one would care enough to fight them over it. It'd probably be something the next admin would undo, but that could take another 5 years. To be fair, if that does happen I'd expect to see a lot of people travel there on ESTA, get married and file for AOS, as risky as that is.

There's no way that airlines are going to survive a 6 year travel ban.

They have the in person appointments suspended to June 4th for now. They will resume it as our country starts to reopen. I hardly think it would last another 5 years. But they can't ban people who's family is trying to come here, they may delay the process, but they won't ban them. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Erin & Ricky said:

They have the in person appointments suspended to June 4th for now. They will resume it as our country starts to reopen. I hardly think it would last another 5 years. But they can't ban people who's family is trying to come here, they may delay the process, but they won't ban them. 

That's in the USCIS service centers in the US and doesn't apply to embassies abroad. Several people have already emailed their embassies and gotten told that they wouldn't process things until after the end of the suspension.

Timeline
2 hours ago, sl1pstream said:

That's in the USCIS service centers in the US and doesn't apply to embassies abroad. Several people have already emailed their embassies and gotten told that they wouldn't process things until after the end of the suspension.

Right. I guess that's what I was thinking about. We are still at the USCIS service center stage. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.