RD7712

Has Anyone Left Europe's Schengen Area for 14 Days to Then Enter USA?

1,424 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm in need of some advice:

So things here in Serbia aren't looking great with the curfew coming into effect on Friday evening. My flight out of Belgrade is Saturday... Unclear how the curfew will effect airports as of now.

Leaving Saturday would have been me staying here 15 days (was playing it safe), but with what's happening, I'm wanting to leave on Friday before the curfew comes. This means traveling on the 14th day of being here.

My question is: is traveling on the 14th day acceptable? It's super unclear. Technically, the time I'd be landing at JFK would make it 15 days given the time zones.

If you've been following my story, you'll know that I'm extremely anxious about airport staff after what happened to me last month. 

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
42 minutes ago, thisguyflies said:

So things here in Serbia aren't looking great with the curfew coming into effect on Friday evening. My flight out of Belgrade is Saturday... Unclear how the curfew will effect airports as of now.

Leaving Saturday would have been me staying here 15 days (was playing it safe), but with what's happening, I'm wanting to leave on Friday before the curfew comes. This means traveling on the 14th day of being here.

My question is: is traveling on the 14th day acceptable? It's super unclear. Technically, the time I'd be landing at JFK would make it 15 days given the time zones.

If you've been following my story, you'll know that I'm extremely anxious about airport staff after what happened to me last month. 

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, I understand it must be super stressful for you. I was supposed to fly next Saturday and just changed it to Friday next week, hoping that the curfew/lockdown isn't continuous and is only on weekends/evenings (my Airbnb host told me that was mainly the case in April/March, but obviously that's hoping that the flights will still be operating and funny get fully cancelled/banned), but I arrived on the 1st. 

I don't really have advice for you on whether the 14th day would be sufficient other than contacting Air Serbia on whether they think they expect the flights on Saturday to still go on, or after that. There is a flight on Monday, and the curfew lasts from Friday evening until Monday morning, so that could be an option for you possibly.

Best of luck!

Timeline

I guess what I really want to know is do they count the date stamped in your passport as a full day? Same question for the date of leaving. Are those counted as full days within the country?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, thisguyflies said:

I guess what I really want to know is do they count the date stamped in your passport as a full day? Same question for the date of leaving. Are those counted as full days within the country?

I don't know the answer to your question. I was wondering something similar though with CR1 turning into IR1 when you've been married 2 years. I saw that change on my NVC account the day AFTER 2 full years. So the day after our 2 year wedding anniversary we were good.

Timeline

I'm just off the phone with air serbia who told me I'd be ok to board the flight on Friday. They also said that the Saturday flight is still going ahead, despite the recent curfew news.

The curfew rules will become more clear today, so not sure if I'd take their word on Saturday yet or not.

For anyone curious: last night was a mess in Belgrade. A sleepless night for me. Obviously, the anxiety of travel was a big part, but also the noise and commotion from the protests. The people here are NOT happy. Feels like a very, very different city than the one I landed in.

I'm sure you're all very used to my bad luck by now, but man...when's this nightmare going to end??

10 hours ago, jsmith2020 said:

Has anyone gone to Serbia and spent 1 or 2 weeks in Croatia before going back to Serbia for their flight?

Great question! I'm in the same boat and want to quarantine in Croatia. Has anyone does this and if so, how was your experience going to Croatia and back into Serbia?

Does anyone see any problem with this plan?

5 hours ago, thisguyflies said:

We are in a similar situation, but for us we are planning to leave Monday morning and currently trying to figure out what to do.

We can't leave on Friday because that would mean we would fly on the 13th day and that most certainly won't work...

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 hours ago, thisguyflies said:

I'm just off the phone with air serbia who told me I'd be ok to board the flight on Friday. They also said that the Saturday flight is still going ahead, despite the recent curfew news.

The curfew rules will become more clear today, so not sure if I'd take their word on Saturday yet or not.

For anyone curious: last night was a mess in Belgrade. A sleepless night for me. Obviously, the anxiety of travel was a big part, but also the noise and commotion from the protests. The people here are NOT happy. Feels like a very, very different city than the one I landed in.

I'm sure you're all very used to my bad luck by now, but man...when's this nightmare going to end??

You could also try contacting the US embassy here in Belgrade to double check that the time spent here is sufficient, or the DHS. 

I checked your post history and I really feel for you. Don't lose hope. It is such a weird and stressful time, I barely slept last night, too. You're so close now though.

Good luck.

Timeline
2 hours ago, gettingmarried said:

Great question! I'm in the same boat and want to quarantine in Croatia. Has anyone does this and if so, how was your experience going to Croatia and back into Serbia?

Does anyone see any problem with this plan?

I'm flying to Zagreb from Paris this Saturday. I will ask for a stamp at the airport, stay for 15 days and then fly to Chicago with Turkish Airlines on the 26th (I have one layover in Istanbul).

I wish you all good luck and will try to keep you posted here 🤞

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53332225

Police and protesters have been hurt in riots that broke out outside the National Assembly in the Serbian capital Belgrade.

The protests began peacefully on Tuesday evening and included students and families, angered by a decision to re-impose a weekend curfew because of a rise in coronavirus infections.

Protesters broke into the assembly, prompting police to intervene.

Clashes erupted and police fired tear gas to disperse the protesters.

Far-right nationalists have been blamed for stirring up the unrest and storming the assembly building. Serbian media said they included an MP who has pushed anti-vaccine and anti-5G conspiracy theories.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 7/7/2020 at 1:58 PM, jenny53 said:

I was going to fly Croatia- Miami on Friday. However the flight with Turkish airlines got cancelled. 
I will now fly tomorrow (Wednesday) to Chicago. This makes it exactly 14 days of me being here. But with the weeks of waiting, the quick last minute changes- I am mentally so tired. 

please cross your fingers for me, that I’ll have no issues tomorrow. Thursday I’ll fly to Tampa from Chicago. 

I am prepared for having bad luck at the passport check and have someone pull me aside or question me. But of course I’d be appreciative if that didn’t happen and after weeks I would just have some luck.

Stay positive Jenny, fingers crossed today goes smoothly for you, you're so close now!!

Please can you update me with how your flight to Chicago and border control goes? I've also decided to do the Istanbul to Chicago route, and will be flying on the 22nd!

https://www.euronews.com/2020/07/08/coronavirus-protesters-attempt-to-storm-parliament-in-serbia-as-lockdown-measures-are-rein

"Serbian president Aleksandar Vučić had announced on Tuesday that new lockdown measures would be reintroduced later in the week, prompting demonstrators to gather in front of the parliament with some chanting "Resignation! Resignation!"

But on Wednesday, the president appeared to backtrack on his comments after thousands of people protested and clashed with police. [...]"

Seems like the lockdown might not happen after all. We need to wait and see. Also the hotel staff here said that even if there is a curfew, you would still be allowed to go to the airport (just be sure to have your ticket etc.). I am praying that things don't escalate.

23 hours ago, thisguyflies said:

The White House says 14 days preceding entry. If you want to land at JFK on Saturday, that would need to be your 15th day out of the Schengen region. Basically, your final day in the Schengen country should have been Friday, June 26.

Edited by jsmith2020

Another tip. They asked my why croatia and I said because I felt the safest there and felt like it was the best option. When you can tell they aren’t sure let them know that you have called many places ahead of time to get the information, to be 100% that what you are doing is ok. Just so they know you are well informed and not just hoping for the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.