Mjc331

K1 Photoshoot

29 posts in this topic

Hello! I've been fortunate to stumble upon this site and am thankful for all your inputs :) I am not even sure if this is the right place to post this question so I apologize beforehand if it is incorrect. Currently, I am un the process of gathering evidences for the K1. Couple questions:

(1) Is if it is okay for my fiance and I have a photo shoot in her country before we get married in the States. I read another post saying as long as no tux and wedding dress it should be "okay" but was wondering if this would help or hurt.

(2) Related to the intent to marry, will a letter simply saying each of us intend to marry one another be sufficient? We plan to do a court wedding when hopefully everything goes accordingly but how do you prove this ambiguous timeline when you submit your packet? 

Thank you and stay safe! :)

3 hours ago, Mjc331 said:

Hello! I've been fortunate to stumble upon this site and am thankful for all your inputs :) I am not even sure if this is the right place to post this question so I apologize beforehand if it is incorrect. Currently, I am un the process of gathering evidence for the K1. Couple questions:

(1) Is if it is okay for my fiancé and I have a photo shoot in her country before we get married in the States. I read another post saying as long as no tuxedo and wedding dress it should be "okay" but was wondering if this would help or hurt.  You can take pictures BUT don't submit them as evidence ANYWHERE along the process for the visa. Do Not post them on social medial websites. If you look to the CO at the interview that in any way you look to be married than expect a decline.

(2) Related to the intent to marry, will a letter simply saying each of us intend to marry one another be sufficient? We plan to do a court wedding when hopefully everything goes accordingly but how do you prove this ambiguous timeline when you submit your packet? A simple letter from each of you stating that you are free and plan to marry each other will be suficiant.

Thank you and stay safe! :)

Here is an example to use of the letter of intent.

Fiancé Letter of Intent

(Date mm-dd-yyyy)

(PETITIONERS and BENEFICIARY'S NAME)

(PETITIONER and BENEFICIARY'S ADDRESS)

United States Department of Homeland Security

US Citizenship and Immigration Services

(ADDRESS OF FILING LOCATION)

Or when submitting for interview

United States Department of State

United States Consulate. (name of the country where the interview will take place)

(Embassy Address)

Dear Sir or Madam

I (applicant or beneficiary's name) do hereby state that I am legally able and willing to marry (applicant or beneficiary's name)  and intend to do so within 90 days of my arrival into the US using the K-1 visa.

Yours truly.

(Signature of Petitioner or beneficiary)

Join us in the March NOA1 group. Download the PDF on the first page for tips.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

6 hours ago, designguy said:

No need to have a “photo shoot”  

Thanks. Sorry to be a pest but if you really do want to have one, do you think it will be that of a strong denial? With the wedding being held in the US, there is that feeling of not doing something "special" at her country without a wedding of course. Thanks!

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “process and procedures”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

47 minutes ago, Mjc331 said:

Thanks. Sorry to be a pest but if you really do want to have one, do you think it will be that of a strong denial? With the wedding being held in the US, there is that feeling of not doing something "special" at her country without a wedding of course. Thanks!

Here is the experience of others. I'll let you make up your mind.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/639695-k-1-visa-denied-what-now-appeal/

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/593292-not-legal-wedding-ceremony-prior-to-k1-visa-interview/

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
5 hours ago, Greenbaum said:

That's not close to what OP is asking.

The first link:

"We were denied because we told them about our unofficial wedding in Australia"

Second link:

"It will not be a legal wedding - just a ceremony"

What OP ACTUALLY asked:

"photo shoot in her country before we get married in the States."

Pre-wedding photos are certainly a HUGE deal in certain countries.  No, its NOT a 'wedding' or 'ceremony' - its photos.  I've done the engagement photos, I was in a suit and she was in a real live wedding dress.  We were on the beach, a park, and a temple (aka tourist trap).  That's not a wedding or ceremony, its photos.  Huge difference.  Couple on a beach at sunrise, couple in the middle of a wedding ceremony in a church.  Apples to oranges.

Pre-wedding/engagement photos are a sign of a bonifide relationship, is it not? 

Edited by SmallTownPA

12 minutes ago, SmallTownPA said:

Perhaps, but most engagement photos do not feature an actual wedding dress.  Any adjudicating officer has no idea what context such pictures would have been taken in.  @Greenbaum's point is that there have been many stories here over the years of folks getting denied for holding an event that could be perceived as a wedding, whether or not it was.

City: Nittany Lion Country Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Perhaps, but most engagement photos do not feature an actual wedding dress.  Any adjudicating officer has no idea what context such pictures would have been taken in.  @Greenbaum's point is that there have been many stories here over the years of folks getting denied for holding an event that could be perceived as a wedding, whether or not it was.

New Zealand is kinda close to Asia, is it not?

I will point you to Japan, China, and Vietnam as just a few countries that CERTAINLY have pre-wedding photo shoots, in full wedding garb.  Go to the Forbidden City in Beijing and just about every day you can see people taking the photos, in wedding gowns.  One day I counted no less than 6 groups trying to get shots at one of the entrances.

Also, how do you think they get those cheesy videos/photos to display at the reception???

Hows about this.. type in 'Japanese pre wedding photo shoot' into google, then click on images.  Tell me what you see.

For even better photos, type in 'New Zealand pre-wedding photo shoot'  let me know if you find any hobbits

Edited by SmallTownPA

4 hours ago, SmallTownPA said:

That's not close to what OP is asking.

The first link:

"We were denied because we told them about our unofficial wedding in Australia"

Second link:

"It will not be a legal wedding - just a ceremony"

What OP ACTUALLY asked:

"photo shoot in her country before we get married in the States."

Pre-wedding photos are certainly a HUGE deal in certain countries.  No, its NOT a 'wedding' or 'ceremony' - its photos.  I've done the engagement photos, I was in a suit and she was in a real live wedding dress.  We were on the beach, a park, and a temple (aka tourist trap).  That's not a wedding or ceremony, its photos.  Huge difference.  Couple on a beach at sunrise, couple in the middle of a wedding ceremony in a church.  Apples to oranges.

Thank you for the clarification as that was what I was asking. It would be just as you described: photoshoot at different locations with possibly different attires. No family members or friends would be present. It would be like those pictures you see at one's wedding in the States.

I am guessing the moral of the story is to not even give the slightest hint of being married. So maybe even without the tux and the wedding dress? I mean, they can't possibly knock on us for having quality, photoshoot pictures right?

Much appreciative of everyone's thoughts though.

3 hours ago, SmallTownPA said:

I will point you to Japan, China, and Vietnam as just a few countries that CERTAINLY have pre-wedding photo shoots, in full wedding garb.  Go to the Forbidden City in Beijing and just about every day you can see people taking the photos, in wedding gowns.  One day I counted no less than 6 groups trying to get shots at one of the entrances.

Also, how do you think they get those cheesy videos/photos to display at the reception???

Hows about this.. type in 'Japanese pre wedding photo shoot' into google, then click on images.  Tell me what you see.

For even better photos, type in 'New Zealand pre-wedding photo shoot'  let me know if you find any hobbits

New Zealand is kinda close to almost nothing.  Even Australia is a 3 hour flight away.

My point is this:  having read VJ for the past many years, I have seen multiple threads of members complaining that their K-1s were denied due to something about their petition/application and supporting info creating the appearance to the IO that they were already married.

You, the OP, and everyone else is free as always, to ignore this and do as you wish.

That's funny! New Zealand is close to Asian. Yes bud, just a little way up the road. When you get to the water's edge be sure to put your little ducky swim gear on because you are not yet in Asia. Get your map out and see where it is. It will surprise you. Oy Vey!

OP your free to use the information from some of us veterans or not. But we know a few things because we have seen a few things.

Just for kicks to a search here on VJ using "too married" and watch the responses and firsthand experiences. We are not in this boat alone.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, SmallTownPA said:

None of this matters unless all those people were then applying for K-1s to immigrate to the US. That's why it matters.

I wouldn't risk it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Unless you're from a high risk* country such as Nigeria, Ghana, Morocco, India, or Pakistan, you're probably OK. My wife and I had pre-wedding photos done like you described. I don't remember if she brought them to the K-1 interview, but she did bring engagement party photos. No problems at all. Ditto with another friend of hers. This was in Indonesia (low risk country)... 

Edited to add: why bring them anyway? Or are you just worried that they'll see the pics on social media? 

*High risk=large # of rejections, not in terms of personal safety or security. 

Edited by usmsbow

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

What's in the photo shoot? We did one in my husband's country but it was nothing at all like a wedding. He was wearing jeans and a button down shirt and I had a floral blue and white dress walking in a beach setting holding hands basically. Nothing from that could be misconstrued as a wedding. I wouldn't risk wearing a wedding dress in a photo shoot, for example. We didn't bring those to any interviews either.

Edited by Sarah&Facundo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.