deborabr

B2 Visa Extension Question

45 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I will apply for my mother's B2 visa extension due to the corona virus spread since I don't want her to be exposed given that she is almost 70 and has pre-existing conditions. I have a few questions for those that applied before. Sorry for some real basic questions but the instructions were not very clear and I don't want to mess it up.

I am applying online and they have several question

• They ask if there is a preparer and interpreter helping fill out the application. I am helping her since she doesn't speak English. Should I answer yes to both questions or just to the preparer? Not sure if that makes a difference?
  • They ask Where do you live now? - Should that be my address where she is staying?
  • They have several questions Have you, or any other individual included on this application... would that include the preperar/interpreter or just herself? We are not applying to anyone else just her.
  • Have you, or any other individual included in this application, been employed in the United States since last admitted or granted an extension or change of status? - She never worked here but I work since I am the preparer should I answer Yes or the question only pertains to her so in that case should be No?
  • They ask her to describe how she is supporting herself while she is staying with us. She is retired and has a really low income that comes from that. While she is staying with us myself and my husband are the ones providing food or anything else she needs. Can we provide our bank statements and show proof of financial support for her or they only accept source of income coming from her?

Thank you for any information!

1 hour ago, deborabr said:

Hello All,

I will apply for my mother's B2 visa extension due to the corona virus spread since I don't want her to be exposed given that she is almost 70 and has pre-existing conditions. I have a few questions for those that applied before. Sorry for some real basic questions but the instructions were not very clear and I don't want to mess it up.

I am applying online and they have several question

• They ask if there is a preparer and interpreter helping fill out the application. I am helping her since she doesn't speak English. Should I answer yes to both questions or just to the preparer? Not sure if that makes a difference?
  • They ask Where do you live now? - Should that be my address where she is staying?
  • They have several questions Have you, or any other individual included on this application... would that include the preperar/interpreter or just herself? We are not applying to anyone else just her.
  • Have you, or any other individual included in this application, been employed in the United States since last admitted or granted an extension or change of status? - She never worked here but I work since I am the preparer should I answer Yes or the question only pertains to her so in that case should be No?
  • They ask her to describe how she is supporting herself while she is staying with us. She is retired and has a really low income that comes from that. While she is staying with us myself and my husband are the ones providing food or anything else she needs. Can we provide our bank statements and show proof of financial support for her or they only accept source of income coming from her?

Thank you for any information!

Answer yes to both interpreter and preparer questions

all other questions are specific to her only, you are a third party who is not on the application for any reason other than those specific to interpreter / preparer. 

She resides in her home country 

with reference to supporting herself, it’s about her income and financials, you can add supported by family within us if you like

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You would put your address wherever it asks where she is living now. I’m assuming it will also ask for her address abroad.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

We are in a similiar situation with a parent who is retired\low income.

We plan on mentioning that we already have an affidavit support. You may want to file one along with the extension.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

An affidavit of support does not apply for tourists.

It does apply for immigrants.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
On 4/17/2020 at 6:10 PM, geowrian said:

An affidavit of support does not apply for tourists.

It does apply for immigrants.

On 4/17/2020 at 7:26 PM, SusieQQQ said:

Which is why the url BDD posted had greencard in the address...

I-134, Affidavit of Support

Use this form to sponsor a visa applicant and show they will not become public charges while in the United States. You must file a separate affidavit for each applicant.

1 minute ago, BDD said:

I-134, Affidavit of Support

Use this form to sponsor a visa applicant and show they will not become public charges while in the United States. You must file a separate affidavit for each applicant.

Yes, for visas in which it applies. Like DV applicants and K-1 applicants. No such application applies to tourists.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

"Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa."

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

14 hours ago, geowrian said:

Yes, for visas in which it applies. Like DV applicants and K-1 applicants. No such application applies to tourists.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html

"Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a visitor visa. If you choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember it is not one of the factors used in determining whether to issue or deny the visa."

I sent the application last week already but did not include an affidavit of support just my parents tax return from last year, bank statement and also added my husband's and mine most recent pay stub to show that we are able to provide her food and place to stay while she is visiting.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am in the exact same position, and would love to hear about your experience as it progresses. We are going to submit my mom's application as soon as we get her bank certificate from back home.

Edited by miggyab

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, BradandKaneko said:

Ah didn't see this thread so I will try here.. what form do you use for the B2 visa extension? My mother in law is here, and cannot return as Guatemala has it's borders closed for flights. 

I filled out the application online. Here is the link: https://www.uscis.gov/visit-united-states/extend-your-stay

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by deborabr

On 4/21/2020 at 10:37 PM, miggyab said:

I am in the exact same position, and would love to hear about your experience as it progresses. We are going to submit my mom's application as soon as we get her bank certificate from back home.

I do not have any updates on my mom's application yet other than a confirmation they have received our request but will update here whenever we have more information. Did you end up applying?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, deborabr said:

I do not have any updates on my mom's application yet other than a confirmation they have received our request but will update here whenever we have more information. Did you end up applying?

Hi. Yep, we ended up submitting her application a day or two after I posted my last message. No movement since they confirmed receipt either. Someone on the immigration subreddit says they called USCIS to ask about how long these cases are taking to process now in the midst of the pandemic, and it's apparently still 4-6 months, so 🤷

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@deborabr, @miggyab: any updates?

We submitted an 1-539 online on 22 Apr and are awaiting movement (although not at this point anticipating receiving any before 12 Jun when I-94 expires).

forum instructions 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Canada.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.