Captain Ewok

USCIS is Extending the Suspension of In-Person Services at all Local Offices from April 7th to June 4th Due to Covid-19

211 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was waiting for my police certificate (background check?) before making an appointment as I wasn't sure how long it'd take to arrive. I've since received my police certificate, and all of this pandemic stuff has taken over and I'm not able to make my first appointment at my embassy. I believe the first appointment is the medical one rather than the interview.

Anyway, the expiry date for the I-797 and making my appointment is 20th May and I'm worried that I won't be able to make my appointment in time due to them not taking any new appointments at this time. Will this be extended/paused automatically due to the pandemic, or do I have to call them to figure something out? There was no way I could've made my appointment(s) before all of this happened, and I'm just really worried that my I-797 will expire before I can do anything.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rebecca95 said:

I was waiting for my police certificate (background check?) before making an appointment as I wasn't sure how long it'd take to arrive. I've since received my police certificate, and all of this pandemic stuff has taken over and I'm not able to make my first appointment at my embassy. I believe the first appointment is the medical one rather than the interview.

Anyway, the expiry date for the I-797 and making my appointment is 20th May and I'm worried that I won't be able to make my appointment in time due to them not taking any new appointments at this time. Will this be extended/paused automatically due to the pandemic, or do I have to call them to figure something out? There was no way I could've made my appointment(s) before all of this happened, and I'm just really worried that my I-797 will expire before I can do anything.

It should be automagic but send them an email for peace of mind 

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It should be automagic but send them an email for peace of mind 

Thank you for the response, I plan on calling them as early as possible tomorrow to ask anyway. I don't plan on e-mailing them as the last time my fiancé tried to e-mail them, he received an incredibly delayed response and I don't want to take the risk.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Rebecca95 said:

Thank you for the response, I plan on calling them as early as possible tomorrow to ask anyway. I don't plan on e-mailing them as the last time my fiancé tried to e-mail them, he received an incredibly delayed response and I don't want to take the risk.

Email gives you a paper trail.  In the grand scheme of pandemic items, extending the petition is low priority 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Since they are not doing interviews and bunch of other in person stuff - maybe they can catch up on roc and i130 applications since they have free time 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey,

is it just rumours or false news that US has temporarily Suspended immigration? Not the paperwork part but apparently there is a tweet that states an executive order was signed today that suspended future immigration? Just asking out of curiosity and a little bit of fear.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

No, that's true.  The doors are slammed shut.  I have NO idea how that affects those with pending applications.  (Hopefully not at all) 
Wait and see.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Thefiance said:

Hey,

is it just rumours or false news that US has temporarily Suspended immigration? Not the paperwork part but apparently there is a tweet that states an executive order was signed today that suspended future immigration? Just asking out of curiosity and a little bit of fear.

It's supposed to protect jobs, but I would like to think spousal and K1 would still go thru as that's a different thing all together. 
I'd like to think that anyway.

Timeline
1 minute ago, EllisAndRenz said:

It's supposed to protect jobs, but I would like to think spousal and K1 would still go thru as that's a different thing all together. 
I'd like to think that anyway.

But this is immigration altogether... so I’m sure he’s suspended all of the visas .. but the question remains of what happens to the people already here

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Thefiance said:

But this is immigration altogether... so I’m sure he’s suspended all of the visas .. but the question remains of what happens to the people already here

What do you mean?  You think they will deport those who are married to US Citizens, who came here legally? 

Or those here on H1B?

Timeline
11 minutes ago, EllisAndRenz said:

What do you mean?  You think they will deport those who are married to US Citizens, who came here legally? 

Or those here on H1B?

No No please don’t have any misconceptions... I was just asking if the ones here are gonna be put on hold as well for now since immigration is closed.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/2/2020 at 2:02 PM, caputo said:

For ROC I-751.  They should accept previous biometrics (they have at least two) as they are doing for I-765.  It is ridiculous not to do it in these circumstances.

yeah, only for I-765 extension:

"Biometrics: USCIS will use previously submitted biometrics to process extensions of employment authorization documents for applicants who had an appointment scheduled on March 18, 2020, or later or for those who have filed Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) extensions. USCIS will employ this new policy until its Application Support Centers reopen to the public. Currently, this policy does not apply to initial I-765 applications, or to other applications that require biometrics appointments (such as Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status))."

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/due-to-covid-19-uscis-extends-notice-deadlines-will-accept-previously-submitted

Edited by Applying

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.