Ermehgerdd

Any Insight or Informed Speculation on How Long Travel Ban May Last?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm optimistic this will be over sooner than was expected, because there are several anti-viral medicines that being tested and appear to be quite effective:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

If that medicine is give to enough people around each infected person, we can get this back under control without crippling the economy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
6 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

The travel restrictions are not just about spreading the virus from one country to the next. It's about stopping the spread from infected people to non infected people. As long as transmission rates are high and/or increasing, the restrictions will be in place.  It makes no sense to close restaurants, schools, sports leagues, concert venues, political meetings and workplaces everywhere and then continue to let the virus spread to thousands of people via air travel.

And you expect hotels, restaurants, etc to be closed beyond 60 days? What will be left of America as we know it? You will excel as a doomsday prophet 😂🤣😂. China and South Korea have gotten this thing under control, there’s no earthly reason the USA cannot in a slightly longer period of time. None.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
13 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

And you expect hotels, restaurants, etc to be closed beyond 60 days? What will be left of America as we know it? You will excel as a doomsday prophet 😂🤣😂. China and South Korea have gotten this thing under control, there’s no earthly reason the USA cannot in a slightly longer period of time. None.

You don't seem to grasp the whole "people are literally dying" part of this. South Korea is exceptionally good at following the rules and at testing. The US isn't even properly testing or forcing people to isolate yet. This is going to last for months and yes, some industries will have significant problems because of this.

Timeline
18 minutes ago, sl1pstream said:

You don't seem to grasp the whole "people are literally dying" part of this. South Korea is exceptionally good at following the rules and at testing. The US isn't even properly testing or forcing people to isolate yet. This is going to last for months and yes, some industries will have significant problems because of this.

You’re the one not getting the reality that the living must live and that by shutting the economy down after some point even the living will start dying.

You are also failing to recognize that what controls America is not you and I and the average Joe but rather unvarnished greed of the uber powerful and wealthy and that they call the shots and won’t look on as their businesses and wealth is decimated.

Did you miss the part about South Korea kept the economy open throughout and that the USA has significantly ramped up testing and that over eight thousand were tested just on Tuesday?

Shut down for five months? 😂 

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

You’re the one not getting the reality that the living must live and that by shutting the economy down after some point even the living will start dying.

You are also failing to recognize that what controls America is not you and I and the average Joe but rather unvarnished greed of the uber powerful and wealthy and that they call the shots and won’t look on as their businesses and wealth is decimated.

Did you miss the part about South Korea kept the economy open throughout and that the USA has significantly ramped up testing and that over eight thousand were tested just on Tuesday?

Shut down for five months? 😂 

If that means not passing on and keeping the virus out there, that's exactly what's going to happen.

The living can't live if they're dying of this virus either.

5 hours ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Your predictions are based on the economy. I don't see decisions being based on that. What I see is not driven by economics. The restrictions are in place to allow the medical system to be able to deal with the number of severely ill people. Everything they are doing right now is geared towards keeping the number of illnesses as low as possible at any given time, at the expense of spreading the duration of the pandemic over a longer time period.

I expect they will be closing things down until the number of sick people starts to decrease and transmission rates drop. It's asinine to attach a number to something that is as of yet unknown. I don't know how far we are from the peak or how close it is to being over. I do know our ICU is full right now, and one of our surgical units has been converted for overflow and is now almost at capacity. 

Public schools just extended closure here till the end of April. That will be 45 days from when they first closed. I hope this ends quickly, but nothing I am seeing ATM makes me believe it will. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

It's asinine to attach a number to something that is as of yet unknown.

I guess in that case Economists, Weather forecasters, and all professions which involve making projections from available data (some of which are not very clear( are asinine.

I will choose to take Bill Gates who is a highly intelligent man  (and who actually finances one of the biggest public health foundations in the world) over yours any day.😁

Adios

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

9 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

I guess in that case Economists, Weather forecasters, and all professions which involve making projections from available data (some of which are not very clear( are asinine.

I will choose to take Bill Gates who is a highly intelligent man  (and who actually finances one of the biggest public health foundations in the world) over yours any day.😁

Adios

I'm not making a prediction, I'm telling you what has to happen for restrictions to end. Initially, I said it could be less than 30 days or it could be more. We really didn't know. We still don't. Thirty isn't a magic number. We are only at day 7.  I'm not sure what anyone could possibly be seeing at this time to make them think we will be in a better position in 3 weeks.  

In the end, it doesn't really matter who you listen to. You can make whatever travel plans you wan't. Just realize that you may not be going anywhere. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline

Two weeks into the exercise and President Trump already wants open up the economy by Easter. Economic considerations at some point will ultimately decide this thing especially now that we’re finding out the mortality rate may be much less than the originally projected 2%. 

Im still firmly anchored to my 60 days max time frame.

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any news on this? The 30 days for the ban from the EU are over and I cannot find any update...

ROC Timeline:

2023-02-20: Mailed package to Phoenix Lockbox with UPS Ground

2023-02-27: Package was delivered

2023-03-02: Received text that case was received with SRC case #

2023-03-03: Money order was cashed

2023-03-09: Received 48 months extension letter in mail

2023-05-20: Greencard expired

2024-01-03: Still waiting for update on biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, nerdcouple said:

Are there any news on this? The 30 days for the ban from the EU are over and I cannot find any update...

Being in Houston is United your choice of airlines? See their Coronavirus page. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html

I would expect the actual airlines to have the most updated info available. Seems like United is doing repatriation flights to get people home.

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

June earliest but I’d say Sept more like it!

ROC Timeline

Service Center: Vermont

90 Day Window Opened....08/08/17

I-751 Packet Sent..............08/14/17

NO1 Dated.........................

NO1 Received....................

Check Cashed....................

Biometrics Received..........

Biometrics Appointment.....

Approved...........................

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I-130 NOA1: 22 Dec 2014
I-130 NOA2: 25 Jan 2015
NVC Received: 06 Feb 2015
Pay AOS Bill: 07 Mar 2015
Pay IV Bill : 20 Mar 2015
Send IV/AOS Package: 23 Mar 2015
Submit DS-261: 26 Mar 2015
Case Completed at NVC: 24 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Approved: 22 Sep 2015
Visa Received: 03 Oct 2015 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

2 minutes ago, Tesco said:

I'd think that the U.S would need to fully re-open prior to allowing international flights to resume,

Not just the USA allowing international flights but the rest of the countries of the world 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Tesco said:

I'd think that the U.S would need to fully re-open prior to allowing international flights to resume,

United is flying International flights right now, but not everybody is eligible.

Flights continuing from now into May:

Atlantic

Operating: 

New York/Newark – Frankfurt (Flights 960/961)

New York/Newark – London (Flights 16/17)

New York/Newark – Tel Aviv (Flights 90/91)

Pacific

Operating:

San Francisco – Tokyo-Narita (Flights 837/838)

San Francisco – Sydney (Flights 863/870

Select Guam routes, including daily Guam – Honolulu (Flights 200/201)

Latin America/South America

Operating: 

Houston – Sao Paulo (1x daily) 

Houston – Cancun (3x daily)

Houston – Mexico City and Monterrey (2x daily)

Houston – Guanajuato, Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos (1x daily)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.