LBee1592

No credit score or report I-944

72 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!!

I am currently working on my packet which will be a concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485, marriage based. So by definition, the public charge rule applies to me and therefore, I have to complete the Form I-944 and give all the evidence necessary.

It says that I need documentation from one of the 3 main credit bureaus showing my credit score or report. 

I do not have either one. I have never applied for a credit card or anything like that since I've been in the US. And I have always believed that not having a SSN was a barrier for all of that. 

It also says in the instructions, that if I do not have either one, I should provide a documentation from one of the 3 credit bureaus showing that in fact, I do not have a credit score or a credit report available. 

So, I decided to contact all 3 and see what they could do for me. Well to my surprise, they are all unable to give me what is required. They said that they could not provide that kind of documentation. They checked for a report in the database and confirmed that I do not have a credit score or a credit report but they are unable to give me any written evidence of that. They said that whoever is requesting it (USCIS in my case) would have to call them to get confirmation.

So what am I supposed to send in my packet as evidence that shows that I do not have a credit score or credit report?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Have you tried to get a report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

It will return a page that says no credit report found if it can't find it. Then you can print that as proof.

From your post I think you don't have a social security number? If you have one something should show up. Even utility companies report to credit agencies now, I think you should have something unless you haven't been in the US long enough, usually 90-120 days. Then I'm not sure how to go about it. But I know at the website it will say no report found, and then print and send it in.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Thank you very much Loren Y for your quick reply!

So yes, I do NOT have a SSN and I think that because I overstayed, it isn't an option for me to get one until I send my adjustment of status application. ( correct me if I am wrong).

I have tried the link that you provided and indeed, it does ask for a SSN. I don't really know what my options are. I really don't want to be denied just because I can't provide this evidence.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, LBee1592 said:

Thank you very much Loren Y for your quick reply!

So yes, I do NOT have a SSN and I think that because I overstayed, it isn't an option for me to get one until I send my adjustment of status application. ( correct me if I am wrong).

I have tried the link that you provided and indeed, it does ask for a SSN. I don't really know what my options are. I really don't want to be denied just because I can't provide this evidence.

Credit scores/reports are based on the SSN, and it's impossible to generate a report without one. When you communicated with the credit bureaus, was it through email? If so, I would include the email(s) you received that stated they could not generate a report. Personally, I think the inclusion of credit scores/reporting is absurd, but that's another matter.

At the end of the day, you can't provide things that don't exist. Whoever reviews your packet should be aware that AOS applicants without an SSN will not have credit. 

Once you get an interview, you can always update your I-944 if you have an SSN by then and have a credit report. As a side note, if your spouse has credit cards you can be added as an authorized user once you have an SSN and it will help you get a good credit score much faster as long as the cards are in good standing/paid on time. I added my husband to my CapitalOne card and Discover Card, and his credit report shows a good credit score. I was kind of amazed because he's only been here 9 months, but it seems he got "credit" for all of the on time payments on those 2 cards. Pretty cool. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

46 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

Credit scores/reports are based on the SSN, and it's impossible to generate a report without one. When you communicated with the credit bureaus, was it through email? If so, I would include the email(s) you received that stated they could not generate a report. Personally, I think the inclusion of credit scores/reporting is absurd, but that's another matter.

At the end of the day, you can't provide things that don't exist. Whoever reviews your packet should be aware that AOS applicants without an SSN will not have credit. 

Once you get an interview, you can always update your I-944 if you have an SSN by then and have a credit report. As a side note, if your spouse has credit cards you can be added as an authorized user once you have an SSN and it will help you get a good credit score much faster as long as the cards are in good standing/paid on time. I added my husband to my CapitalOne card and Discover Card, and his credit report shows a good credit score. I was kind of amazed because he's only been here 9 months, but it seems he got "credit" for all of the on time payments on those 2 cards. Pretty cool. 

Thank you so much for this detailed reply!!

Unfortunately, I only got to communicate with them over the phone since they never replied to my emails. So that makes it hard to obtain any proof. 

And I totally agree with you on everything you said, so maybe until I am able to get a SSN, I should put a note in the AOS packet regarding the credit score/report question. I don't know exactly what I would write yet but something about the inability to get that type of evidence considering my situation and I could state that I will bring the necessary evidence for the interview.

I mean I think a note will make them see that I was not ignoring the question or the request of proof. 

And your idea about your spouse's credit cards is very helpful!! 

Thank you again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS From Work, Student & Tourist Visas, from OAS FAmily K1/K3  - the OP is not adjusting form a K visa.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

9 hours ago, Loren Y said:

Have you tried to get a report from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

It will return a page that says no credit report found if it can't find it. Then you can print that as proof.

From your post I think you don't have a social security number? If you have one something should show up. Even utility companies report to credit agencies now, I think you should have something unless you haven't been in the US long enough, usually 90-120 days. Then I'm not sure how to go about it. But I know at the website it will say no report found, and then print and send it in.

Hi, 

Just wanted to share that my husband has a social security number and I got an error message when I tried to look up his (lack of a) credit report.  Will be continuing to work on this over the next few days. 

We are having the same issue for my husband. I did add him as an authorized user to one of my credit cards and it did not require a SSN, but we have not been able to check if he has credit report or score since he does not have a SSN. We called equifax today and the representative ultimately had us write a cover letter with what we were requesting (verification of an existing report or the lack thereof) and an explanation with why it was needed. They asked us to include a copy of his passport and birth certificate since he does not have any US issued ID or any other form of government issued document (they even said a w-2 or 1099, which we obviously dont have since he cant work) and fax this info to them. It will be 5-7 business days before they send us any type of response in the mail. We are ultimately worried about this though as we are re-filing his 485 due to a prior denial and we only have 30ish days to do so before they could essentially deport him if he doesn't leave.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

I was in your same situation. Wanted to fill the I-944 but the issue about the credit score came out. I was not able to retrieve it anywhere and so prove that I have no credit. So the lawyer said to make a screen of these websites(like creditekarma) and attach them with the form. 

On 3/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, RockoUSA said:

I was in your same situation. Wanted to fill the I-944 but the issue about the credit score came out. I was not able to retrieve it anywhere and so prove that I have no credit. So the lawyer said to make a screen of these websites(like creditekarma) and attach them with the form. 

How did you show that without a SSN though? none of the credit reporting agencies or even credit karma will populate anything without a SSN.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
29 minutes ago, sjfoley1 said:

How did you show that without a SSN though? none of the credit reporting agencies or even credit karma will populate anything without a SSN.

Sorry, my bad. I meant to make a screen of CreditKarma showing that it is mandatory to type in a valid SSN, which I do not have, and then attach the screen with the I-944.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 8:37 PM, KelevraUSA said:

How about degree equivalency. Do i need to do degree equivalency of bachlors degree from India, but i have masters from USA.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

On 3/3/2020 at 3:17 PM, sjfoley1 said:

We are having the same issue for my husband. I did add him as an authorized user to one of my credit cards and it did not require a SSN, but we have not been able to check if he has credit report or score since he does not have a SSN. We called equifax today and the representative ultimately had us write a cover letter with what we were requesting (verification of an existing report or the lack thereof) and an explanation with why it was needed. They asked us to include a copy of his passport and birth certificate since he does not have any US issued ID or any other form of government issued document (they even said a w-2 or 1099, which we obviously dont have since he cant work) and fax this info to them. It will be 5-7 business days before they send us any type of response in the mail. We are ultimately worried about this though as we are re-filing his 485 due to a prior denial and we only have 30ish days to do so before they could essentially deport him if he doesn't leave.

sjfoley - did you receive a documentation from the credit bureau - i am in the same situation trying to retrieve the documentation advising no credit report is available.

• I currently have a SSN
  • a mobile phone
  • a bank account

However the bureaus do not yet recognize my SSN 

I am concerned  about AOS before my I94 date expire.

additional i find it difficult to retrieve additional documentation about language skills and US validation of my English Degree.. due to COVID19 these offices are also closed... what do you guys do ...

I have a certified copy of my transcript incl a descriptive of the UK education system ...I have US Federal Aviation Authority issued documentation ( pilot licences etc stating i am english proficient- hopefully this will be accepted.

I hope your situation have been resolved by now...

On 2/26/2020 at 6:36 AM, Zaraliaya said:

11 hours ago, Viking said:

sjfoley - did you receive a documentation from the credit bureau - i am in the same situation trying to retrieve the documentation advising no credit report is available.

• I currently have a SSN
  • a mobile phone
  • a bank account

However the bureaus do not yet recognize my SSN 

I am concerned  about AOS before my I94 date expire.

additional i find it difficult to retrieve additional documentation about language skills and US validation of my English Degree.. due to COVID19 these offices are also closed... what do you guys do ...

I have a certified copy of my transcript incl a descriptive of the UK education system ...I have US Federal Aviation Authority issued documentation ( pilot licences etc stating i am english proficient- hopefully this will be accepted.

I hope your situation have been resolved by now...

yes, we did receive documentation in the mail from equifax. it took about 10 business days before we got it

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
4 hours ago, sjfoley1 said:

yes, we did receive documentation in the mail from equifax. it took about 10 business days before we got it

thank you / that is indeed great news 🙂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.