LBee1592

No credit score or report I-944

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline
7 minutes ago, NavarroP said:

Hi Viking..u say not to understimate the time for AOS after the I-944 but you should NOT be saying that, given the fact that,by law, any immediate relative on AOS can file WHENEVER due to the fact that the AOS bars of adjustments regarding time or employment DO NOT APPLY to them. It is very important because that definitely can lower the anxiety that this process has overall, not to be pushed by deadlines, but to do everything serenely and in order.

Screenshot_20200416-224731.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

@NavarroP 

My remark was to highlight the increased workload accociated with the new form. 

I know that you do not have a deadline in order to adjust status - HOWEVER - in order to remain legally in the US as a K1 Visa Applicant  you MUST Adjust status before the Expiration of your I94 - you should Adjust Status OR leave the US after the 90 Days - an Extension is not available- you can go into removal proceedings- see other posts on the issue here on VJ

Edited by Viking

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi everyone! I’ve been reading that you tried different things to get a credit report and score.

I’ll share my experience here in case someone can benefit from it. 

We called Experian and TransUnion (and also wrote to them on FB). My husband used his SSN to get through to someone first and then explained my situation: very recently moved to the US, no SSN, we needed this for immigration purposes.

In my case, I’ve been an authorized user of my husband’s credit card (when we called, it had only been 3 weeks since he added me) so I do have a credit score. I only found out when I received the credit report I requested. So the next thing we had to do was call again, and this time request a credit score and pay $8 for it. (I’m not sure whether you can request a credit report AND a credit score at the same time—it would definitely save some time).

The letters from Experian took 5 business days each to arrive. Not too bad.

I also got a letter from TransUnion about 10 business days after calling them, saying they could not find a credit history for me. I now know that’s not accurate in my case but at least I know they DO send these letters to people without a SSN (again just saying this in case anyone can benefit from it!)

I could attach the letter from TransUnion if you’re interested. 

Good luck everyone!! 

Timeline
14 hours ago, Viking said:

@NavarroP 

My remark was to highlight the increased workload accociated with the new form. 

I know that you do not have a deadline in order to adjust status - HOWEVER - in order to remain legally in the US as a K1 Visa Applicant  you MUST Adjust status before the Expiration of your I94 - you should Adjust Status OR leave the US after the 90 Days - an Extension is not available- you can go into removal proceedings- see other posts on the issue here on VJ

@Viking

Actually if someone entered the U.S. on a K-1 visa, the idea is to get married ASAP so when someone acquire the lawful status as "immediate relative" that person can AOS anytime within or past the 90 days. However if  somebody is in the U.S.  and hasn't got married yet and is past the I-94 90 days, that person still has an option to remain in the U.S. but they would have to file an I-130 within the AOS and at the USCIS interview they could give them a more serious scrutiny to that case in particular.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline
30 minutes ago, NavarroP said:

@Viking

Actually if someone entered the U.S. on a K-1 visa, the idea is to get married ASAP so when someone acquire the lawful status as "immediate relative" that person can AOS anytime within or past the 90 days. However if  somebody is in the U.S.  and hasn't got married yet and is past the I-94 90 days, that person still has an option to remain in the U.S. but they would have to file an I-130 within the AOS and at the USCIS interview they could give them a more serious scrutiny to that case in particular.

@NavarroP

Thank you for your kind reply, - you are indeed correct about the purpose of the K1 Visa  and the intent to marry within 90 Days- 

My original post advising people NOT to underestimate the paperwork of the AOS process still stands true - I am a perfect example of this -

Despite coming Adequately prepared for the Process having gathered Allmost all reasonable evidence required to submit - I STILL had to spend a insurmountable time in preparation for this - we are talking about two weeks of full time dedicated to this process- following up chasing documents - scanning printing and organizing as well as form filling- ( redoing prefilled forms as the forms had been reissued ) and off course the I- 944 joyful experience ... (sarcasm may be prevalent here)

we got married the 16th of March  and I posted the package on the 7th of April - still awaiting receipt notification - ( leaving only 1 to two weeks before my I 94 Expire and i become OUT of Status)

please do read the experience of another VJ fellow below - the OUT of STATUS may be forgiven in relation to your AOS Application - however it may do you and the process A LOT OF HARM - should you be unfortunate. 

I simply want our fellow AOS K1 peeps out there to be aware of the time required to finalize the paperwork and know about the potential consequences they could be facing-  so they can plan accordingly and make their own decision based on their appetite for risk versu sthe reward of delayed AOS ( I see none)

Let me know your thoughts..

Edited by Viking
spelling like an ol sailor wooden leg and all

Timeline
4 hours ago, Viking said:

@NavarroP

Thank you for your kind reply, - you are indeed correct about the purpose of the K1 Visa  and the intent to marry within 90 Days- 

My original post advising people NOT to underestimate the paperwork of the AOS process still stands true - I am a perfect example of this -

Despite coming Adequately prepared for the Process having gathered Allmost all reasonable evidence required to submit - I STILL had to spend a insurmountable time in preparation for this - we are talking about two weeks of full time dedicated to this process- following up chasing documents - scanning printing and organizing as well as form filling- ( redoing prefilled forms as the forms had been reissued ) and off course the I- 944 joyful experience ... (sarcasm may be prevalent here)

we got married the 16th of March  and I posted the package on the 7th of April - still awaiting receipt notification - ( leaving only 1 to two weeks before my I 94 Expire and i become OUT of Status)

please do read the experience of another VJ fellow below - the OUT of STATUS may be forgiven in relation to your AOS Application - however it may do you and the process A LOT OF HARM - should you be unfortunate. 

I simply want our fellow AOS K1 peeps out there to be aware of the time required to finalize the paperwork and know about the potential consequences they could be facing-  so they can plan accordingly and make their own decision based on their appetite for risk versu sthe reward of delayed AOS ( I see none)

Let me know your thoughts..

@Viking

Actually I was staying in the past post what the law says regarding this case in particular..when u actually go to the law itself, it is very reassuring that it doesn't matter if u past the 90 days, as long as u do get married. And yes the process is long and tedious but it is worth. Actually the most important aspect on the AOS now with the I-944 is the financial situation of the applicant and the sponsor, there's mostly where the focus is going to be, and the ableness of the applicant to work and provide for his\her household, not forgetting either the private healthcare coverage. The microdecisions , believe Me, WILL be there.

Edited by NavarroP

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
On 2/24/2020 at 1:53 PM, LBee1592 said:

Hello everyone!!

I am currently working on my packet which will be a concurrent filing of I-130 and I-485, marriage based. So by definition, the public charge rule applies to me and therefore, I have to complete the Form I-944 and give all the evidence necessary.

It says that I need documentation from one of the 3 main credit bureaus showing my credit score or report. 

I do not have either one. I have never applied for a credit card or anything like that since I've been in the US. And I have always believed that not having a SSN was a barrier for all of that. 

It also says in the instructions, that if I do not have either one, I should provide a documentation from one of the 3 credit bureaus showing that in fact, I do not have a credit score or a credit report available. 

So, I decided to contact all 3 and see what they could do for me. Well to my surprise, they are all unable to give me what is required. They said that they could not provide that kind of documentation. They checked for a report in the database and confirmed that I do not have a credit score or a credit report but they are unable to give me any written evidence of that. They said that whoever is requesting it (USCIS in my case) would have to call them to get confirmation.

So what am I supposed to send in my packet as evidence that shows that I do not have a credit score or credit report?

Thank you!

I had the same thing happen to me. I am the USC and I called transunion. My husband doesn't have an SSN but has been an authorized user on my CC for six months now. To my surprised he has both a score and report. The report was free and paid $9 for the score. I asked for a file number and called three days after ordering to make sure that my request was processed. I just got both in the mail and kudos to my husband he has a great credit score thus far. From request to getting the mail took a total of 8days. Hope this helps someone. 

Timeline
On 4/17/2020 at 4:43 AM, Flowerfame said:

Hi everyone! I’ve been reading that you tried different things to get a credit report and score.

I’ll share my experience here in case someone can benefit from it. 

We called Experian and TransUnion (and also wrote to them on FB). My husband used his SSN to get through to someone first and then explained my situation: very recently moved to the US, no SSN, we needed this for immigration purposes.

In my case, I’ve been an authorized user of my husband’s credit card (when we called, it had only been 3 weeks since he added me) so I do have a credit score. I only found out when I received the credit report I requested. So the next thing we had to do was call again, and this time request a credit score and pay $8 for it. (I’m not sure whether you can request a credit report AND a credit score at the same time—it would definitely save some time).

The letters from Experian took 5 business days each to arrive. Not too bad.

I also got a letter from TransUnion about 10 business days after calling them, saying they could not find a credit history for me. I now know that’s not accurate in my case but at least I know they DO send these letters to people without a SSN (again just saying this in case anyone can benefit from it!)

I could attach the letter from TransUnion if you’re interested. 

Good luck everyone!! 

I had the same thing happen to me. I am the USC and I called transunion. My husband doesn't have an SSN but has been an authorized user on my CC for six months now. To my surprised he has both a score and report. The report was free and paid $9 for the score. I asked for a file number and called three days after ordering to make sure that my request was processed. I just got both in the mail and kudos to my husband he has a great credit score thus far. From request to getting the mail took a total of 8days. Hope this helps someone. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Which Credit Companies are allowing authorised users with no SSN.????

I have several different cards from major companies and they all require an SSN to add an authorised user?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline
2 hours ago, AC&MH said:

I have several different cards from major companies and they all require an SSN to add an authorised user?

Chase allowed me to become an authorized user without a SSN. Idk of any others but hope this helps! 

• 2 weeks later...

Listen everyone who doesn't have SSN number to establish a credit report.

Go to website CreditOne Bank and apply for a credit card(Rebuild Credit). Fill out the form correctly and a section asks for SSN, type there your ITIN number or 111-11-1111. You will get NO CREDIT REPORT FOUND right away. Your name and address will show on next page. Print that section and apply to USCIS. You're welcome!

Edited by silentscream1

9 hours ago, silentscream1 said:

Listen everyone who doesn't have SSN number to establish a credit report.

Go to website CreditOne Bank and apply for a credit card(Rebuild Credit). Fill out the form correctly and a section asks for SSN, type there your ITIN number or 111-11-1111. You will get NO CREDIT REPORT FOUND right away. Your name and address will show on next page. Print that section and apply to USCIS. You're welcome!

I tried this and entered 111-11-1111, but I get an error message saying "Please enter a valid Social Security Number" 

Timeline
On 4/23/2020 at 2:27 PM, Flowerfame said:

Chase allowed me to become an authorized user without a SSN. Idk of any others but hope this helps! 

Capital one also doesn't require an SSN

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Sara P said:

I tried this and entered 111-11-1111, but I get an error message saying "Please enter a valid Social Security Number" 

Have u tried calling the bureaus? Is the beneficary and authorized user on any credit card?

Timeline
On 4/23/2020 at 11:55 AM, AC&MH said:

Capital one. And u can open an account online. I opened an acct with them online in 2018. I added my now husband on there as an authorized user October 2019. To my surprise when I called transunion he had both a credit score and credit report. Was able to establish a credit score of 756 in less than 6 months

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.