DAWGY

Told to bring spouse along for my 2nd N400 interview

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, DAWGY said:

I seriously don’t know why I was invited for a second interview . I only know the IO wasn’t very  friendly during my first interview  . She seemed very serious and only asked So many  questions about my marriage . She was more relaxed when I came in for the second interview with my wife . After the second interview she said “I’m glad your wife is willing to go thru this process with you . she’s not a ghost “ She then said I’ll here back in 30 days . My wife and I have been really worried about how long this is taking . 

"Willing to go thru this process with you....not a ghost?" Seems like micro aggression to me. I would be worried too but ultimately, if you haven't done anything wrong, they can only torture you with the wait. In a few more weeks, reach out to your congress person and get them involved if an InfoPass appointment doesn't yield any information.

Good luck.

14 minutes ago, DAWGY said:

I seriously don’t know why I was invited for a second interview

Did you not know about the marital union requirements? Seems fairly reasonable to assume the bold/underline below is what they were trying to establish.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-2

1. Married and Living in Marital Union

In general, all naturalization applicants filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen must continue to be the spouse of a U.S. citizen from the time of filing the naturalization application until the applicant takes the Oath of Allegiance. In addition, some spousal naturalization provisions require that the applicant “live in marital union” with his or her citizen spouse for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the naturalization application. [19] USCIS considers an applicant to “live in marital union” with his or her citizen spouse if the applicant and the citizen actually reside together.

An applicant does not meet the married and “living in marital union” requirements if:

• The applicant is not residing with his or her U.S. citizen spouse at the time of filing or during the time in which the applicant is required to be living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse; or

• The marital relationship is terminated at any time prior to taking the Oath of Allegiance.

If the applicant ceases to reside with his or her U.S. citizen spouse between the time of filing and the time at which the applicant takes the Oath of Allegiance, the officer should consider whether the applicant met the living in marital union requirement at the time of filing.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Timeline
16 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Did you not know about the marital union requirements? Seems fairly reasonable to assume the bold/underline below is what they were trying to establish.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-2

1. Married and Living in Marital Union

In general, all naturalization applicants filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen must continue to be the spouse of a U.S. citizen from the time of filing the naturalization application until the applicant takes the Oath of Allegiance. In addition, some spousal naturalization provisions require that the applicant “live in marital union” with his or her citizen spouse for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the naturalization application. [19] USCIS considers an applicant to “live in marital union” with his or her citizen spouse if the applicant and the citizen actually reside together.

An applicant does not meet the married and “living in marital union” requirements if:

• The applicant is not residing with his or her U.S. citizen spouse at the time of filing or during the time in which the applicant is required to be living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse; or

• The marital relationship is terminated at any time prior to taking the Oath of Allegiance.

If the applicant ceases to reside with his or her U.S. citizen spouse between the time of filing and the time at which the applicant takes the Oath of Allegiance, the officer should consider whether the applicant met the living in marital union requirement at the time of filing.

I didn’t know that and IO didn’t mention that . Only asked for a reason why we don’t stay together which I told him and showed documentation to proof my point. 

3 minutes ago, DAWGY said:

I didn’t know that and IO didn’t mention that . Only asked for a reason why we don’t stay together which I told him and showed documentation to proof my point. 

And it also mentioned separation for employment. Meaning it’s ok if you’re separated cuz of your job . 

1 hour ago, DAWGY said:

And it also mentioned separation for employment. Meaning it’s ok if you’re separated cuz of your job . 

Yeah, but you saying it without your wife there, and your wife actually being there to say it, are two very different things.  Seems you could have saved yourself some hassle if you had familiarized yourself in advance with the requirements for filing marriage based, but that’s all hindsight now. Hopefully you’ll get a decision soon.

OP, it isn't common for spouses to live in separate states.  And if you slipped up here on VJ and referred to her as your "ex," then possibly you've done that in other aspects of your life.

Honestly, I'm not at all surprised that they are questioning whether you are eligible to obtain US citizenship through this marriage.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

You will be fine. 

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

OP, it isn't common for spouses to live in separate states.  And if you slipped up here on VJ and referred to her as your "ex," then possibly you've done that in other aspects of your life.

Honestly, I'm not at all surprised that they are questioning whether you are eligible to obtain US citizenship through this marriage.

In 2020 it is very common for spouses to live separately, although it is usually temporary.  Usually for months, but could be as much as 3-4 years. School, work etc are very common reasons.  I am not sure in this case whether the evidence would suggest the move is temporary or not.

Edited by Moe428

1 hour ago, Moe428 said:

In 2020 it is very common for spouses to live separately, although it is usually temporary.  Usually for months, but could be as much as 3-4 years. School, work etc are very common reasons.  I am not sure in this case whether the evidence would suggest the move is temporary or not.

I wouldn’t say “very common,” and particularly not in the context of marriage-based immigration.

I didn’t mention the word ex in my interview . That was worded wrong here . The IO wanted to know why my wife and I don’t leave together . I showed him proof that we share funds together and proof that she needs to remain at a different state else she’ll loose her health insurance . She’s very ill and her treatment could cost thousands monthly . We was lucky she’s part Native American , so her tribe pays for the insurance. We provided all that proof with doctors notes and so many other Paperwork . 

*** Several posts removed for the following:

• Derailing the thread
  • Being nonconstructive
  • Making accusations
  • Insinuating other members not to post
  • Other posts quoting previously listed posting violations

Also, if you feel a post is inappropriate you should use the report button. The moderator group does not know of every single thread and post so we are heavily reliant on reporting by other members. When a post is reported, all the moderators gets notified and we can then be aware that there is something that needs to be reviewed. Posting to complain about the inappropriate behavior is less effective than actually reporting it. 

Moving forward, please post constructively and be civil.

VJ Moderation

Edited by Unlockable

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.