Nature Boy 2.0

Joe Biden says coal miners should 'learn to program'

43 posts in this topic

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Scripting and coding are basic skills in the information economy. Sql to query databases, JavaScript to make a SharePoint form, R /python for a Power BI visual, create a function Excel: all valuable life skills that can be mastered by most adults. Very value added in business operations, marketing, sales, finance.

These are not traditional c++ coding And testing roles and yet there are plenty of opportunities.

Salesforce and ServiceNow are two exciting platforms that allow novice programmers quickly create value added forms, workflows and reports, no CS degree required.

There is no reason for folks to scoff and laugh at the idea of retooling ones skills as most people change careers multiple times in their life.

If you don't have the patience for it but have dank meme posting talent, you do you. But why laugh at those who want to break away from a tired dying industry.

Edited by 90DayFinancier

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed for tos.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Not in my opinion, but to each their own. My grandfather would never let anyone tell him what he could or couldn't do, and he made a point to learn a multitude of different trades. If he was still alive now I could see my husband teaching him all sorts of stuff.

That being said the path is a hard one and filled with scams. Ridiculous story on the subject can be found here... https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/us/mined-minds-west-virginia-coding.html

Still, even a good chunk of these people found some successful path forward.

Interesting.

It's incredibly hard to be ADD/ADHD and code. I know this because my first major (right out of high school) was Comp Sci. Simultaneously, I was also a video game tester working for prominent companies in Redwood Shores (which also required a level of persistence and patience that destroyed my love for video games). Having to spend hours sifting through code to figure out where you messed up requires a type of patience not even gallons of carb/caffeine-dense drinks can overcome. When I worked for a certain search engine's HQ in Mountain View, we had programmers in front page with monitor setups I found enviable, but watching what they had to go through made me empathize. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
54 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

Scripting and coding are basic skills in the information economy. Sql to query databases, JavaScript to make a SharePoint form, R /python for a Power BI visual, create a function Excel: all valuable life skills that can be mastered by most adults. Very value added in business operations, marketing, sales, finance.

These are not traditional c++ coding And testing roles and yet there are plenty of opportunities.

Salesforce and ServiceNow are two exciting platforms that allow novice programmers quickly create value added forms, workflows and reports, no CS degree required.

There is no reason for folks to scoff and laugh at the idea of retooling ones skills as most people change careers multiple times in their life.

If you don't have the patience for it but have dank meme posting talent, you do you. But why laugh at those who want to break away from a tired dying industry.

Working with several millennial IT professionals, it seems their training is lacking in failure mode effects analysis.  They seem to think that glitches which come up with their written code are just minor issues to be corrected in the future.  Of course when that code impacts large numbers of products in the field, it can become quite costly which could have been avoided if the problems were analyzed prior to putting the code in production.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Working with several millennial IT professionals, it seems their training is lacking in failure mode effects analysis.  They seem to think that glitches which come up with their written code are just minor issues to be corrected in the future.  Of course when that code impacts large numbers of products in the field, it can become quite costly which could have been avoided if the problems were analyzed prior to putting the code in production.

I cannot disagree with that sentiment, but I don't think Millennials are the only afflicted generation.

8054.image_thumb_35C6E986.png

Just asked Al about this as he just woke up and is the person around here who codes. He said in his experience that's a leadership problem more than a generational one -- they had to learn it from somewhere. 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Just asked Al about this as he just woke up and is the person around here who codes. He said in his experience that's a leadership problem more than a generational one -- they had to learn it from somewhere. 

You woke him up to ask him a question about SDLC? Poor man!

1 hour ago, 90DayFinancier said:

The point you are choosing to miss is, he said if you can dig coal you can learn to code, which is absurd. Now had he said. We must invest in programs to teach them other trades, then no big deal.

42 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

You woke him up to ask him a question about SDLC? Poor man!

Haha no. I'd woken him up with my sneezing.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

The point you are choosing to miss is, he said if you can dig coal you can learn to code, which is absurd. Now had he said. We must invest in programs to teach them other trades, then no big deal.

Why is that absurd?  These workers have learned complex operations.

1 hour ago, 90DayFinancier said:

Why is that absurd?  These workers have learned complex operations.

Image result for crazy eyed meme

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 minute ago, 90DayFinancier said:

You are the T-bone of meme posting.

now THAT is an insult.  :lol:

Edited by Ban Hammer

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!