Nature Boy 2.0

Joe Biden says coal miners should 'learn to program'

43 posts in this topic

https://www.foxnews.com/media/joe-biden-coal-miners-learn-program-code

“Anybody who can go down 300-3,000 feet in a mine sure as hell can learn how to program as well,” said Biden at a campaign event Monday in New Hampshire. “But we don’t think of it that way. Anybody who can throw coal into furnace can learn how to program for God’s sake.”

Alas, coder Joe didn't tell us what program language to learn!

And how many social media accounts were insta-banned for posting "learn to code" to fired fake news "journalists"?

Anyways, much like Hillary's "deplorables" comment, really shows the contempt Joe has for people in a region he was raised in. Except, I believe the Democrats call that "Russia" now. 

VtepIJs.gif

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

The folks who are out of touch are the politicians who act like those coal jobs are coming back, they aren't and even if the mines open, it will be with job killing automation.

Retooling and reeducation have been underway for years. 

This program wants to build a new tech workforce in West Virginia

https://www.fastcompany.com/90253751/this-program-wants-to-build-a-new-tech-workforce-in-west-virginia

NewForce, a partnership between Generation West Virginia and Jobcase, aims to solve two problems: A lack of job opportunities, and a lack of trained people for tech companies in the state to employ.
Charleston, West Virginia [Photo: Flickr user Edsel Little]
BY EILLIE ANZILOTTI
3 MINUTE READ
West Virginia’s young people problem is well documented: In 2016, the state was the only one to report a drop in birth rates and an increase in outward migration–both are attributable to young people leaving the state, and staying away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Natalie Roper is one of the few who’s stayed, and she heads up a nonprofit, Generation West Virginia, whose aim is to support opportunities for young people to build up their own careers and the economy in the state overall–and importantly, to stay (the organization sells shirts that say “Here for the Long Haul Y’All“). Generation WV offers a fellowship program that places twentysomethings at local companies; last year saw fellows go to a design firm in Charleston, an environmental consulting firm in Morgantown, and Core10, a fintech firm in Huntington

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Politicians who sing the praises of coal while defeating the common sense regulations to avoid silicosis are in my mind criminal. 'long live the swamp"

An Epidemic Is Killing Thousands Of Coal Miners. Regulators Could Have Stopped It

LISTEN·22:2522-Minute Listen
Toggle more options
  •  
  •  
2018-12-01-death-by-dust--rfacun-_075_sq

Greg Kelly at home in Delphia, Ky. A former coal miner, Kelly has an advanced stage of black lung disease known as complicated black lung or progressive massive fibrosis.

Rich-Joseph Facun for NPR

Greg Kelly's grandson, Caden, scampers to the tree-shaded creek behind his grandfather's house to catch crawdads, as Kelly shuffles along, trying to keep up. Kelly's small day pack holds an oxygen tank with a clear tube clipped to his nose. He has chairs spaced out on the short route so he can stop every few minutes, sit down and catch his breath, until he has enough wind and strength to start out again for the creek.

Edited by 90DayFinancier

Google.com 

Health implications of sitting at a computer all day long programming

Biden is clearly singing the praises of programming (an industry that's on its way out, it's not coming back.. very out of touch Joe!) while defeating common sense regulations to avoid obesity, diabetes, heart disease, eye damage, nerve damage.. criminal, in my mind. Time to go to prison, Joe!

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/stand-up-while-you-read-this/?hp

Stand Up While You Read This!

Your chair is your enemy.

It doesn’t matter if you go running every morning, or you’re a regular at the gym. If you spend most of the rest of the day sitting — in your car, your office chair, on your sofa at home — you are putting yourself at increased risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, a variety of cancers and an early death. In other words, irrespective of whether you exercise vigorously, sitting for long periods is bad for you.

That, at least, is the conclusion of several recent studies. Indeed, if you consider only healthy people who exercise regularly, those who sit the most during the rest of the day have larger waists and worse profiles of blood pressure and blood sugar than those who sit less. Among people who sit in front of the television for more than three hours each day, those who exercise are as fat as those who don’t: sitting a lot appears to offset some of the benefits of jogging a lot.

A long time ago I did some volunteer work at a workforce development center in this rural area. The majority of those coming in were desperate men and women, older, that had been in exactly one career field all their lives and had little other skills to show for it. Mostly truckers and laborers. They were having serious problems finding jobs. Too old to be hired for jobs they were once comfortable in or in fields that were not experiencing growth but downturns, too many health issues, some with records, and others had no other skills or training to move into better fields of employment.

We'd help them try and sell their resumes better and get them into training programs (if they were not resistant) to grow their skills. While Biden didn't say it in a way that will be taken as pleasant, sometimes there are some hard truths. Some jobs are not going to come back. A person can either sit on their butt and boohoo all day while they have no money to feed their families, or they try and have the courage to learn new things and grow. Programming may be a good field for some, and for others there's a variety of other skills out there to learn. And look I've seen some in the older generation struggle with a very different job world out there then they were used to. My dad went into a very different field of work after leaving the ministry, but after getting laid off he really struggled. He wallowed and felt depressed because no one wanted him. Eventually he realized that he was going to have to learn something new, and grow new skills that served him well until he retired. My sister is going through the same thing - pushed out after 35 years and having one skill set (it's a good one though). And my husband sees it all the time as people come to college to learn new trades and technical skills. People don't have to settle to toil in mines or be afraid to learn new skills. But we should be providing a way for them to learn new skills in a more accessible way, especially in rural communities.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

32 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

The folks who are out of touch are the politicians who act like those coal jobs are coming back, they aren't and even if the mines open, it will be with job killing automation.

Retooling and reeducation have been underway for years. 

https://www.fastcompany.com/90253751/this-program-wants-to-build-a-new-tech-workforce-in-west-virginia

NewForce, a partnership between Generation West Virginia and Jobcase, aims to solve two problems: A lack of job opportunities, and a lack of trained people for tech companies in the state to employ.
Charleston, West Virginia [Photo: Flickr user Edsel Little]
BY EILLIE ANZILOTTI
3 MINUTE READ
West Virginia’s young people problem is well documented: In 2016, the state was the only one to report a drop in birth rates and an increase in outward migration–both are attributable to young people leaving the state, and staying away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Natalie Roper is one of the few who’s stayed, and she heads up a nonprofit, Generation West Virginia, whose aim is to support opportunities for young people to build up their own careers and the economy in the state overall–and importantly, to stay (the organization sells shirts that say “Here for the Long Haul Y’All“). Generation WV offers a fellowship program that places twentysomethings at local companies; last year saw fellows go to a design firm in Charleston, an environmental consulting firm in Morgantown, and Core10, a fintech firm in Huntington

I have heard those jobs have left and aren't coming back somewhere before.. Now where was it ??/ ROFL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Wonder if Joe knows what  programming is?

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

He likely doesn't know, and isn't aware of how much training is involved.. but he could ask his wife for advice on that.

Still not a bad field to train in if a person so wishes to.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

Just now, yuna628 said:

He likely doesn't know, and isn't aware of how much training is involved.. but he could ask his wife for advice on that.

Still not a bad field to train in if a person so wishes to.

you have to have a certain aptitude to be a coder. select bunch.

7 minutes ago, Boiler said:

All he knows, from prior administrations, is "H1-B's".

1 minute ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

The aptitude to compete with cheap foreign labor. 

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I was just reading up about a DJI robot that shoots things and you can programme in Python. Perhaps Joe could donate some.

ca7.jpg

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

Not in my opinion, but to each their own. My grandfather would never let anyone tell him what he could or couldn't do, and he made a point to learn a multitude of different trades. If he was still alive now I could see my husband teaching him all sorts of stuff.

That being said the path is a hard one and filled with scams. Ridiculous story on the subject can be found here... https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/12/us/mined-minds-west-virginia-coding.html

Still, even a good chunk of these people found some successful path forward.

Edited by yuna628