2,317 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Adella2016 said:

Do not worry, sometimes we meet mad women. You will get some notice what to do. I am pretty sure they will ask you to bring more evidences. Did you get tax transcript from 2019?

I brought it for the interview.

Yes I have transcripts. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Self delete 

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
6 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

I think that if you’re denied because they suspect fraud that you would need to appear before an immigration judge.  USCIS would present their case of why it seems fraudulent, and then the applicant would present their case on why it is not. 

At common law, the burden of proof is different for civil and criminal matters.  I think immigration would fall more towards civil and the burden of proof would lie more heavily with USCIS to demonstrate it IS fraud (though the applicant should have good proof that it isn’t), but the judge can decide one way or the other on a balance of probabilities, in other words if you looked at the case percentage-wise, the judge would need to side at least 51% with either the applicant or USCIS.  

I’m not totally confident in my answer bc I haven’t met or read any stories about that process, but from the official documents, it seems like that would be the procedure.

It’s also time consuming and costly to pursue immigration matters in court, so I reasonably assume USCIS only takes that route when there is an abundance of red flags on a case, and no clear and definitive (or even reasonable) answers to address the concerns.

Thank you for your detailed answer. I was always curious about this. I hope everybody with questionable experiences like me will get approved after all! Good luck to you all!

Filed: Other Timeline
On 10/1/2020 at 12:59 PM, Tabby3 said:

I had my interview yesterday at Detroit office I applied on 3years marriage basis and the experience was not good at all. She was very rude from the start. When I gave her my driving license as an id proof she asked me what is this? Don't you have state id? I said this is my driving license which she accepted. She asked me why you want to change your name are you getting divorce? I said no, I just like my old name, and then she asked me why you like your maiden name better? I said I just like it and now I'm getting an opportunity to have my old name back so I'm doing it. Then she took my test which I passed easily it hardly took 15 minutes. After the test she said to me, Now I'm going to ask you some questions.. I said ok and then she started to ask about my marriage she ask me weird questions regarding my marriage. She ask me why are you going to another state? I told her because our aunt lives there I visited her with my husband because she was sick . She asked me some questions which I didn't find relevant for my naturalization interview like she asked about my husband's aunt ( is she married?).
At the end she gave me form N-625 which said "A decision cannot yet be made about your Application"
I showed her every proof joint bank account, tax returns car registration, car insurance. Now I'm so stressed out. I don't know how long it's going to take now.

If I was you I would think of reasons why she made that decision so that you may try to solve the problem. You probably said something that made her suspect you are separated with your husband.. then saying you want to change your name can hint in that direction as well. Just think of what is it that lead to her decision. You could have acted in a way that you think is normal and OK, while she thought it was abnormal and unkind.  Was your Driver's license issued by the state you applied in for citizenship? 

Whatever it is, I hope it gets solved and you get a happy ending! Thanks for sharing your story.  If you don't mind, can you share with us the six questions she asked you? What was the reading/writing sentence she asked you?  Thanks again

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 9/24/2020 at 5:50 PM, Fahad86 said:

no update for illinois, like you i am also waiting. geez people from February and march are having Oaths and we are still just waiting. Ridiculous 

So I called USCIS line and the agent on the other end says they are currently working on august 2019 N400 cases which make nooooo sense to me. I think she misunderstood even though I thoroughly explained to her. #frustrated💯 But Atleast this is the last stop on our journey. It’s crazy that IL backlog is so long but whatever. It’ll take us 12-24 months now it seems. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Leebeans said:

So I called USCIS line and the agent on the other end says they are currently working on august 2019 N400 cases which make nooooo sense to me. I think she misunderstood even though I thoroughly explained to her. #frustrated💯 But Atleast this is the last stop on our journey. It’s crazy that IL backlog is so long but whatever. It’ll take us 12-24 months now it seems. 

August 2019 ??? before covid they were doing December 2019. this makes no sense but with uscis you can expect anything. Yeah i am in for the long haul.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I finally got the email that my interview was scheduled! I'm currently waiting to talk to a USCIS rep to see when it is, because I'm too impatient to wait the few days for the document to upload (my biometrics letter took nearly a week to show up). I also still work in Canada and as I understand, you're not supposed to travel overseas for 2 weeks beforehand. I'm sure it'll be more than 2 weeks' notice for the interview, but just in case. I was planning to go to Canada tomorrow so I need to know if I can, and if it'll be my last trip for awhile.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

Finally got through to USCIS and talked to a very friendly rep. She laughed when I said I was too impatient to wait the few days for the letter to show up. :) 

I'm scheduled for November 9th, in Detroit. I'm very disappointed I won't be voting this year. I could write a paragraph whining about it but I won't.

Anyway...a few months ago in another thread, someone said that the old case status website (egov.uscis.gov) updates faster than the new one (my.uscis.gov). I have found this to be true. I had an account on the old site from my CR-1 visa so I added the new case number to it and selected to have it email and text update me. I got the email right away (never got a text). It's been over an over and the new site still shows "we reviewed your biometrics." So there you go...if you check constantly like I do, make sure you've signed up for email alerts on the old site.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

Seeing other cases moving gives me hope. Still absolutely no movements for me since my biometrics in February (I was never scheduled an interview to begin with), but myUSCIS online states that I have 2 more months to wait until something happens.

By the way, I was able to score an InfoPass appointment on October 13th to get an I-551 stamp so I can renew my drivers license thank god.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Cryssiekins said:

I AM DONE!!! 

My interview was this morning at 7:45.  VERY quick (less than 10 minutes for the n400 part).  Then told they do same day oaths because of covid so we (it was a 751/400 combo) would need to go sit in the lobby, and that it would take “about 30 minutes”.  So, 3 hours later the supervisor finally came down, and just did a group oath with the 6 or 7 of us who were waiting.  

Congratulations fellow American!!!

2 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

I AM DONE!!! 

My interview was this morning at 7:45.  VERY quick (less than 10 minutes for the n400 part).  Then told they do same day oaths because of covid so we (it was a 751/400 combo) would need to go sit in the lobby, and that it would take “about 30 minutes”.  So, 3 hours later the supervisor finally came down, and just did a group oath with the 6 or 7 of us who were waiting.  

Congratulations!!!!!

Married September 2015 in Canada after living with my now-husband for 2 years in Toronto
I-130 mailed from Toronto: 10/30/15
I-130 received: 11/3/15
NOA1 via email: 11/5/15 - case routed to CSC
NOA1 via snail mail: 11/17/15

NOA2 via email: 12/9/15!!!!!

NOA2 via snail mail: 12/16/15

NVC received case: 12/16/15

Case # and IIN over the phone: 1/4/16, assigned 12/29/15

DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid: 1/4/16

DS-261 reviewed over the phone: 1/8/16

Sent AOS and IV documents, received and paid IV fee: 1/11/16

Scan date: 1/12/16

DS-260 unlocked and completed: 1/13/16

Case complete: 2/18/2016

Interview date: 4/12/2016 -- visa approved!

CEAC status issued: 4/13/16

Arrival in US: 4/29/2016 !!!!!!

Just heard from my spouse - he passed his interview today! Wasn't able to get a same day oath, but the hard part is over. Will share his questions and more details later. Hooray!!!!!!

Married September 2015 in Canada after living with my now-husband for 2 years in Toronto
I-130 mailed from Toronto: 10/30/15
I-130 received: 11/3/15
NOA1 via email: 11/5/15 - case routed to CSC
NOA1 via snail mail: 11/17/15

NOA2 via email: 12/9/15!!!!!

NOA2 via snail mail: 12/16/15

NVC received case: 12/16/15

Case # and IIN over the phone: 1/4/16, assigned 12/29/15

DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid: 1/4/16

DS-261 reviewed over the phone: 1/8/16

Sent AOS and IV documents, received and paid IV fee: 1/11/16

Scan date: 1/12/16

DS-260 unlocked and completed: 1/13/16

Case complete: 2/18/2016

Interview date: 4/12/2016 -- visa approved!

CEAC status issued: 4/13/16

Arrival in US: 4/29/2016 !!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
7 hours ago, Cryssiekins said:

I AM DONE!!! 

How good for you. Congratulations!!

my oath ceremony was scheduled for November 5! I am so happy it’s finally happening. What a crazy journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.