Voice of Reason

The derailment exempt thread

1,436 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
19 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I'm being made to watch the Monty Python marathon on IFC which is playing in the background while he plays Civ V on his laptop. If you'd asked me at 17 what I'd be doing 17 years later for New Year's it might have been sipping champagne at some fancy party in the Hills, or lounging on some Polynesian beach, or something terribly fancy and grown up. It probably wouldn't involve blowing my nose repeatedly in a tiny A-frame in someone's backyard in Berkeley while the love of my life played video games and we were watching something called "Full Frontal Nudity" which really only featured illustrations of full frontal nudity. (I would post a link but I am afraid of violating the TOS.) Also, I would have been wearing a much nicer outfit than a pair of sweatpants and a tank top. :P 

What can you say?  You sold your soul to the devil, so here you are...

Meanwhile, I spent Xmas in Palm Springs, and New Years at home, as I planned last week.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
8 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Also, opened my first-ever bottle of Maker's Mark.  First one rocks, now an Old Fashioned.  Seemed like a rational start to a new year.  I'm sure @luckytxnwill agree even if none of ye heathens do.

I get back up to KY every few years for class reunions and dental meetings.  A few years ago I took my wife, and on an off day drove her to the Makers Mark distillery.  They have a nice tour, as do most of the distilleries in KY (look up "Bourbon Trail in KY").  Tasting at the end of the tour and then you are ready to buy...  After that we drove just a couple of miles to go to a micro distiller that was featured on the TV series "Moonshiners".  I asked about how real that TV series was.  Their replay was that the production crew came two days a week for 4 or 5 hours each day.  "They need drama, and we just don't have a lot of drama here, so..."  and that's all they would say.

Several years back I noticed that Costco had their own brand of "small batch" bourbon.  Of course I had to take a look and noted that on the bottle it was distilled in Clermont KY.  I've been to Clermont , and the only distillery there is Jim Beam.  Costco has since switched sources but I am not sure where it is made now.  I'll take a look next time I am there.

Last year I was at a Prowler car event in TN and one of our day trips was to the Jack Daniels distillery.  Of course, Jack is NOT a bourbon.  Took the tour and bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack in their gift shop.  Wouldn't you know that same bottle was considerably cheaper back home at the local Total Wine and Spirits store.

Just read the other day that legally to be called bourbon, the oak barrels that are used for aging can only be used once.  What happens to the used barrels?  Many of them are sent to Scotland for aging scotch!  Others are used for aging micro brews or aging cheaper regular whiskey.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

11 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

What can you say?  You sold your soul to the devil, so here you are...

Meanwhile, I spent Xmas in Palm Springs, and New Years at home, as I planned last week.

It definitely was more domestic and homey than I thought I'd ever enjoy, but I'm fine with that. Being with the person I love best in the world, having these small, quiet, uncomplicated pleasures, is more than enough. At the risk of getting too mushy, I just want to say I spent a long time thinking I didn't deserve to be as happy as I am now. I had a husband who wanted me to fit some idea of a wife I could never be, and because I knew I was falling at being the partner he wanted, I thought I deserved to be treated like garbage.

Now I have this person in my life who has shown me he likes who I am without contorting myself into something I'm not, who has his own joy in bringing me happiness. Neither of us are without fault, or expect the other to be perfect. I'm still neurotic and too eager to please and prone to being overemotional. He's still a shopaholic and has a short fuse when it comes to what he sees as injustice in the world, on a macro or micro level. We're working on these things, together and apart, but we accept them as part of who the other is. I love his passion, he loves my (supposed) tenderheartedness.

Life is good when you know that someone always has your back, when you know you have a relationship built on love and respect and mutual admiration. And even though he's snoring SO LOUD next to me right now I still think he's the best and most wonderful person I've ever met. I'm so lucky to start 2020 with him. :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Benghazi patrons deserved so much better than they received.  May they rest in peace. 

81285028_2251664555133840_30534455853538

81102636_2524670404467770_38333604116425

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

10 hours ago, Neonred said:

I get back up to KY every few years for class reunions and dental meetings.  A few years ago I took my wife, and on an off day drove her to the Makers Mark distillery.  They have a nice tour, as do most of the distilleries in KY (look up "Bourbon Trail in KY").  Tasting at the end of the tour and then you are ready to buy...  After that we drove just a couple of miles to go to a micro distiller that was featured on the TV series "Moonshiners".  I asked about how real that TV series was.  Their replay was that the production crew came two days a week for 4 or 5 hours each day.  "They need drama, and we just don't have a lot of drama here, so..."  and that's all they would say.

Several years back I noticed that Costco had their own brand of "small batch" bourbon.  Of course I had to take a look and noted that on the bottle it was distilled in Clermont KY.  I've been to Clermont , and the only distillery there is Jim Beam.  Costco has since switched sources but I am not sure where it is made now.  I'll take a look next time I am there.

Last year I was at a Prowler car event in TN and one of our day trips was to the Jack Daniels distillery.  Of course, Jack is NOT a bourbon.  Took the tour and bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack in their gift shop.  Wouldn't you know that same bottle was considerably cheaper back home at the local Total Wine and Spirits store.

Just read the other day that legally to be called bourbon, the oak barrels that are used for aging can only be used once.  What happens to the used barrels?  Many of them are sent to Scotland for aging scotch!  Others are used for aging micro brews or aging cheaper regular whiskey.

So many neat little factoids in that industry.  Like minimum aging of 2 years.  Barrels are shipped overseas, as you mention, or to wineries for flavoring the wine.  The fact that JD is filtered thru maple charcoal (this prevents it from being called "bourbon".  Have done a couple of distillery tours there, but not MM yet.  Perhaps next trip thru the area.

Question: Is it derailing the derailment exempt thread to post about topics that are on topic for the entire subforum (i.e., a current event or hot social topic), or is the exemption so broad that it makes this thread completely incapable of being derailed?

50 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Question: Is it derailing the derailment exempt thread to post about topics that are on topic for the entire subforum (i.e., a current event or hot social topic), or is the exemption so broad that it makes this thread completely incapable of being derailed?

There is nothing anyone can say to be considered off topic in this thread.

Except you...

15 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

There is nothing anyone can say to be considered off topic in this thread.

Except you...

Interesting. So if I asked whether (hypothetically speaking) it would be somehow "cheating" if a person wanted to bypass getting a K1 for his girlfriend because she didn't know whether or not she actually ever wanted to marry him, and is in the process of investigating whether he could figure out if she could qualify for an O1 visa (she is an artist who has exhibited in the US and the UK), then that would be derailing the derailment exempt thread?

I think this is the most insane scheme by the way, and I may or may not have counselled this hypothetical person to just work on his relationship with his girlfriend a little more and if she doesn't want to get married, then to respect her decision. But the way he may or may not have put it, if she could come over on something other than a K1 or a CR1, then he could still get married to someone else and have the girlfriend on the side. And I may or may not have said that was HIGHLY HYPOCRITICAL given his purported sensitivities about infidelity which had been made abundantly (but hypothetically) clear to me over the years.

You know, all hypothetically speaking of course.

27 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Interesting. So if I asked whether (hypothetically speaking) it would be somehow "cheating" if a person wanted to bypass getting a K1 for his girlfriend because she didn't know whether or not she actually ever wanted to marry him, and is in the process of investigating whether he could figure out if she could qualify for an O1 visa (she is an artist who has exhibited in the US and the UK), then that would be derailing the derailment exempt thread?

I think this is the most insane scheme by the way, and I may or may not have counselled this hypothetical person to just work on his relationship with his girlfriend a little more and if she doesn't want to get married, then to respect her decision. But the way he may or may not have put it, if she could come over on something other than a K1 or a CR1, then he could still get married to someone else and have the girlfriend on the side. And I may or may not have said that was HIGHLY HYPOCRITICAL given his purported sensitivities about infidelity which had been made abundantly (but hypothetically) clear to me over the years.

You know, all hypothetically speaking of course.

Newsflash:  Most men are pigs.  

Addendum: Good thing this hypothetical person isn't really your friend, cuz he sounds like a pig.

38 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

Newsflash:  Most men are pigs.  

Addendum: Good thing this hypothetical person isn't really your friend, cuz he sounds like a pig.

No, we are DEFINITELY not friends. He recently did me a favor that required us to have something of a longer than usual conversation and he mentioned the O1 plan. After I calmed down, I explained that his girlfriend may say she is okay with being his sidepiece forever so she can have her "freedom," but not to be surprised when she decides that isn't enough and leaves him or delivers an ultimatum. Now, if she gets the O1 visa and comes to make a life here, cool and good for her. And if he's helping open some doors for her professionally that can get her that visa eventually, also cool. But if he thinks that she'll somehow be tied to him because he helped her along the way... I explained it's not like a fiancee visa -- she isn't required to be his girlfriend just because he helped! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
2 hours ago, laylalex said:

So if I asked whether (hypothetically speaking) it would be somehow "cheating" if a person wanted to bypass getting a K1 for his girlfriend because she didn't know whether or not she actually ever wanted to marry him, and is in the process of investigating whether he could figure out if she could qualify for an O1 visa (she is an artist who has exhibited in the US and the UK), then that would be derailing the derailment exempt thread?

If you hypothetically want serious hypothetical answers, it's hypothetically best to post in one of the hypothetical upper forums, where those hypothetically schooled in such hypothetical matters can hypothetically answer meaningfully.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
On 12/31/2019 at 9:52 PM, ALFKAD said:

Also, opened my first-ever bottle of Maker's Mark.  First one rocks, now an Old Fashioned.  Seemed like a rational start to a new year.  I'm sure @luckytxnwill agree even if none of ye heathens do.

Most certainly do. Bourbon always helps one see life is good.

6 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

If you hypothetically want serious hypothetical answers, it's hypothetically best to post in one of the hypothetical upper forums, where those hypothetically schooled in such hypothetical matters can hypothetically answer meaningfully.

I encouraged his hypothetical and pompous self to join VJ and ask it himself. :D He said, you always were much better at those things, Layla. I can only imagine the pile on if he did! :lol: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
22 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I can only imagine the pile on if he did!

He's a chicken.

Best to keep the monkeys on the appropriate backs.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).