nidcaudi23

Blood test came back positive for TB

34 posts in this topic

I swear, it feels like an uphill battle. I had my K1 medical done in London back in April and everything was fine. I needed a few shots which I said I would get in the US (dumb mistake on my part). When I got to the US I was told I’d have to take another medical along with the shots, which included blood work. We were told today I’ve been tested positive for TB and I need to go for an X-ray. This is news to me as I don’t feel ill and it didn’t show up on the X-ray in England. I wanted to see if anyone else had been through this situation because truth be told, I’m freaking out. I’m so tired and fed up of all the paper work and spending so much money along with all the poking, the stabbing, and now more xrays. What happens next? What happens if I’m found negative or positive? I’m just feeling so defeated.

Edited by nidcaudi23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So this was in the US, did they just do the skin test?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So this was in the US, did they just do the skin test?

Hello there.  Yes my husband had an incomplete vaccine history from his UK Medical back in 05-2019.  We were trying to get the missing vaccines, which he know has completed here in the US.  The medical office called today and stated he know needs a chest x-ray.  

Individuals that are from UK and Europe are routinely given a vaccination called BCG. This vaccine is not given in the US, but those individuals who then come to the US and are subjected to certain types of TB tests can register a false TB positive using a cheap TB skin test because of their prior BCG vaccine. The CDC makes note of this pretty extensively, and US Civil Surgeons should be made aware of this during a medical. The best method is a blood test. https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/testing/testingbcgvaccinated.htm

It was not needed for you to repeat the entire medical either. If you missed shots, you could have received them at any pharmacy or even a walmart, and brought proof of this to a US Civil Surgeon that is willing to do a vaccination transcription ONLY. Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do now.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

1 minute ago, yuna628 said:

Individuals that are from UK and Europe are routinely given a vaccination called BCG. This vaccine is not given in the US, but those individuals who then come to the US and are subjected to certain types of TB tests can register a false TB positive using a cheap TB skin test because of their prior BCG vaccine. The CDC makes note of this pretty extensively, and US Civil Surgeons should be made aware of this during a medical. The best method is a blood test. https://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/testing/testingbcgvaccinated.htm

Hello there. My husband did have blood drawn, and that is where they got the TB result from.  

1 minute ago, nidcaudi23 said:

Hello there. My husband did have blood drawn, and that is where they got the TB result from.  

Blood tests are less likely to have a false positive result or reaction to the BCG, though I assume there is still a small possibility. It is best that you see this diagnosis out and complete all further testing to ensure that the husband is TB free. https://www.cdc.gov/tb/publications/faqs/pdfs/qa.pdf

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
5 minutes ago, nidcaudi23 said:

That just shows he was inoculated, Doctor should have known better.

Been there seen that got the T Shirt. This happened to me non immigration, when I called them back and asked how they would know as they had not X Ray'd me they got a clue.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

False positives on the IGRA/Quantiferon (as opposed to the PPD) due to prior BCG vaccination are unlikely. A chest x-ray can rule out active pulmonary TB, but it gives very little info about latent TB.

In any case, I suspect you were exposed to TB at some point in the past. US treatment guidelines can be complicated, but I suspect you’ll need treatment for latent TB. It usually involves several months of antibiotics.

Edit: the CDC has a couple articles about treatment of latent TB, linked here.

Edited by gramercygreen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
11 minutes ago, gramercygreen said:

False positives on the IGRA/Quantiferon (as opposed to the PPD) due to prior BCG vaccination are unlikely. A chest x-ray can rule out active pulmonary TB, but it gives very little info about latent TB.

In any case, I suspect you were exposed to TB at some point in the past. US treatment guidelines can be complicated, but I suspect you’ll need treatment for latent TB. It usually involves several months of antibiotics.

Edit: the CDC has a couple articles about treatment of latent TB, linked here.

Exactly !!!  ^^

It is the latent cases of TB that tends to get the CDC excited.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

30 minutes ago, Boiler said:

That just shows he was inoculated, Doctor should have known better.

Been there seen that got the T Shirt. This happened to me non immigration, when I called them back and asked how they would know as they had not X Ray'd me they got a clue.

Hello again... I have a follow up question. 

His 1-94 expires Jan 04 2020 and I have everything else needed for AOS

Per 1-485: "You are NOT required to submit Form I-693 at the time you file your adjustment application, but may do so if you wish. Because of the time-limited validity of Form I-693, you may choose to submit your Form I-693 after you file your Form I-485. You may also submit Form I-693 in person at an interview in a USCIS field office, if an interview is required."

I'm thinking we would be better off to send off AOS packet and then continue to work on completing the missing vaccines for the 1-693. What are your or anyone else's thoughts?

Thank you kindly for the comments thus far.

Timeline

Just thought, you did not need the full medical just the shots, probably easier to get the I 693 done somewhere else if the current one is going to be a pain. 

Could you have acquired Latent TB after your medical in London, suppose so but seems unlikely.

Most likely they either missed it on the x-ray (either due to a mistake or it not being visible) or it's a false positive. Contracting it post-medical and having it show up so soon would be unlikely, unless in close contact with the disease since then.

Either way, that's the past. Verifying the result is the present. If it is TB, then expect months of antibiotics. The good news would be that it was caught before it could become a problem for you and those around you. TB kills.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Most likely they either missed it on the x-ray (either due to a mistake or it not being visible) or it's a false positive. Contracting it post-medical and having it show up so soon would be unlikely, unless in close contact with the disease since then.

Either way, that's the past. Verifying the result is the present. If it is TB, then expect months of antibiotics. The good news would be that it was caught before it could become a problem for you and those around you. TB kills.

This. Regardless of the AoS paperwork, make sure to verify the TB results. It could simply be a false positive but health is not something to gamble with.

Good luck with your journey.

Edited by Nat&Amy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The required procedure to be followed by Civil Surgeons:

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/exams/ti/civil/figure1.html

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
5 hours ago, nidcaudi23 said:

I swear, it feels like an uphill battle. I had my K1 medical done in London back in April and everything was fine. I needed a few shots which I said I would get in the US (dumb mistake on my part). When I got to the US I was told I’d have to take another medical along with the shots, which included blood work. We were told today I’ve been tested positive for TB and I need to go for an X-ray. This is news to me as I don’t feel ill and it didn’t show up on the X-ray in England. I wanted to see if anyone else had been through this situation because truth be told, I’m freaking out. I’m so tired and fed up of all the paper work and spending so much money along with all the poking, the stabbing, and now more xrays. What happens next? What happens if I’m found negative or positive? I’m just feeling so defeated.

Were you given a Skin test (frequently incorrect results) or was it a Quantiferron Blood Test?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.