aliwaqas707

Spouses and minor children of Lawful Permanent Residents can file for I-485 Adjustment of Status starting July 1, 2019

23 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello

I heard that Spouses and minor children of Lawful Permanent Residents can file for I-485 Adjustment of Status starting July 1, 2019. 

Generally, the Adjustment of Status is the process by which an eligible foreign national already in the United States can apply for permanent residence without having to return to their home country to obtain a visa through consular processing. Adjustment of status refers to the change of the foreign national’s legal status from a non-immigrant (temporary) category to an immigrant (permanent) category.

Please if anyone can let me know if this is true information.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, aliwaqas707 said:

Hello

I heard that Spouses and minor children of Lawful Permanent Residents can file for I-485 Adjustment of Status starting July 1, 2019. 

Generally, the Adjustment of Status is the process by which an eligible foreign national already in the United States can apply for permanent residence without having to return to their home country to obtain a visa through consular processing. Adjustment of status refers to the change of the foreign national’s legal status from a non-immigrant (temporary) category to an immigrant (permanent) category.

Please if anyone can let me know if this is true information.

Thanks

Are you referring to someone who is already in the US in valid non immigrant status?

1 hour ago, aliwaqas707 said:

yes i am talking about the spouse of GC on visit visa in US

In my opinion, it’s problematic entering on a visit visa and then adjusting as spouse of LPR, it raises questions about misrepresentation of immigrant intent on entry.  (If the person was here on a student or work visa, that’s not problematic as the purpose of entry is clear.) When did this spouse enter the country?

Timeline
5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

In my opinion, it’s problematic entering on a visit visa and then adjusting as spouse of LPR, it raises questions about misrepresentation of immigrant intent on entry.  (If the person was here on a student or work visa, that’s not problematic as the purpose of entry is clear.) When did this spouse enter the country?

The spouse entered on visit visa in 2016 and then frequently traveled the US because of the 6 month restriction he entered and exit the US.

Thanks 

53 minutes ago, aliwaqas707 said:

The spouse entered on visit visa in 2016 and then frequently traveled the US because of the 6 month restriction he entered and exit the US.

Thanks 

What was the date of last entry - assuming spouse is actually currently in the country? If not already in country right now - no way you can do this, it will be clear immigration fraud. 

its already looking like spouse is trying to live here on visit visa from what you said ...

when did you file i130?

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

What was the date of last entry - assuming spouse is actually currently in the country? If not already in country right now - no way you can do this, it will be clear immigration fraud. 

its already looking like spouse is trying to live here on visit visa from what you said ...

when did you file i130?

Last entry was in last week of june 2019

18 minutes ago, aliwaqas707 said:

Last entry was in last week of june 2019

So authorized stay period is just about up?

you didn’t answer, when did you file i130?

Edited by SusieQQQ

I’ve just had a quick look at your post history. Just the first page is full of contemplating various schemes and ways to get your spouse to stay. What happened to the j1 visa? Why did you not just file the i130 when you got married?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I’ve just had a quick look at your post history. Just the first page is full of contemplating various schemes and ways to get your spouse to stay. What happened to the j1 visa? Why did you not just file the i130 when you got married?

More to the point, it seems like they have already committed immigration fraud as the post history clearly dates back to May 2019 when they asked for help to adjust status from J1/tourist visa..

52 minutes ago, ADW & JOP said:

More to the point, it seems like they have already committed immigration fraud as the post history clearly dates back to May 2019 when they asked for help to adjust status from J1/tourist visa..

Yes, plus the problems for OP that spouses of LPRs do not get the same kind of protection as those of citizens in the immigration process. Any kind of being out of status at all means the spouse cannot adjust and will have to go back and do consular processing. Wonder if the OP realizes spouse will not be able to travel or work for 4-6 months while awaiting AP/EAD, or that there may be up to another two year wait for a green card if the category retrogresses after filing, which is highly likely. And if after all that there is a finding of misrepresentation of intent on entry ...it’s back to the start line again.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

So authorized stay period is just about up?

you didn’t answer, when did you file i130?

I did not file i130. someone told me that I-485 is to adjust the status of spouse of Green Card without exit the US. so i was wondering that if i can file the I-485 to keep my spouse here in US.

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 hours ago, aliwaqas707 said:

I did not file i130. someone told me that I-485 is to adjust the status of spouse of Green Card without exit the US. so i was wondering that if i can file the I-485 to keep my spouse here in US.

Thanks

No

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.