Mrs Ryan Carreras

K1- The Dreaded Social Security Number

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I feel your pain. We applied 9-16-2019 and was told manual verification needed. It has been 8 weeks and I just called and they said need to verify again. Which in a bit shell tells me they didn't do it the first time. Oh well the wait is on again. My wife doesn't understand how the different agencies have such poor communication with each other in the US

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

after my fiance arrived in the States, we waited 3 weeks until going to the social security office.  Provided I-94 and passport, and walked out of hte office shortly after that.  Best to get it before applying for AOS.

6 hours ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

Also, the ss Agent checked “can not work” when doing Ryan’s ss number. 
He was pretty clueless and acted as if it would be issued and wonder now if he was just trying to get us finished and move to the next person in line. 
Anyhow, on Friday, we will be venturing out again to attempt this. 
Should we just reapply and/or follow up with the same social security office ? 
Or visit a new one and resubmit since the agent checked the wrong box anyhow ? 
One thing I am clear is that I wish we had found  VJ prior to submitting our application as We’d have done the CR1. 
The not “being able to work” isn’t an issue since we have a newborn and he watches her so she is not in daycare until she’s one years old. 

The box was checked correctly. He cannot work until the work permit arrives. Then the SSN will be changed. You can only get a SSN with K1 but not work. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
5 hours ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

We will wait for now than. 
So hurry up and wait game. 

The agent acted as if it would be issued by that Friday. 😂😂😂

I was thinking “wishful thinking” and “yeah right” based on what I’ve read here. 

much appreciated. 😊 and hope all is well with you @Sarge2155. You’ve always been very helpful from petition and even now. 
You give others a reason to smile on this journey and I thank you 🙏

They would have known right there if they need to send it for manual verification. 

So probably you are in the manual verification process but the SS person didn't tell you that.

They don't issue the numbers at the office anymore so he/she couldn't tell you that you can get it by Friday. My experiences were you will get the card in the mail approx 10 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

after my fiance arrived in the States, we waited 3 weeks until going to the social security office.  Provided I-94 and passport, and walked out of hte office shortly after that.  Best to get it before applying for AOS.

I’m hoping that happens but I’m just trying to stay on them in terms of the number at this point. 
Trying to follow what I’ve read here and hope for success. 
Thanks for the input 👍😊

Timeline
56 minutes ago, SuznAaron said:

The box was checked correctly. He cannot work until the work permit arrives. Then the SSN will be changed. You can only get a SSN with K1 but not work. 

Are you sure about this ? I’ve read conflicting answers to this. 
I’ve read both on VJ so I really don’t know that answer and yes I am aware he can’t work until after work permit. 
Thanks 😊 

1 hour ago, SuznAaron said:

The box was checked correctly. 

The SSA employee should have followed the POMS: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530 "Legal alien allowed to work"

He cannot work until the work permit arrives.

Correct; either EAD or GC

Then the SSN will be changed.

The number doesn't change.

Both K-1 holders and EAD holders receive SS cards that say:

sscard.jpg

After receiving the GC they can go in-person to submit SS-5: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf The new SS card will be unrestricted:

social-security-card.png?itok=J05HgtRI

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sarah n Ryan said:

I knew that we would dread getting the SS number for Ryan on a K1.  
If anyone has any advice on what to do than I am all ears. 
I followed what others have done on VJ with printing out that he can obtain a ss number.
We went rather quickly after he arrived. 
The agent acted as if it would be issued by that Friday and now we sit .. waiting not knowing. 
He entered on K1 on October 23

We applied for his number on the 29th. 
The “Save” data base gives us a verification number and sent back to Maryland. 
The local office gave us a paper and sent us home that gives us their number and reference number to contact us for specifics and than the general number to ss office. 
We have called the general number- they can not give us details since he doesn’t have a ss number 

We have called local and got the same response 

We have called Save and they could not find him but by passport number. 
An inquiry showed 

application was taken on 10/29/2019. It is currently still pending with the Department of Homeland Security for approval. No social security number has been issued at this time. We will send Mr. ___ a letter whenever a decision is made."

We were married Friday but since he isn’t changing his last name this shouldn’t matter. 
Also, the ss Agent checked “can not work” when doing Ryan’s ss number. 
He was pretty clueless and acted as if it would be issued and wonder now if he was just trying to get us finished and move to the next person in line. 
Anyhow, on Friday, we will be venturing out again to attempt this. 
Should we just reapply and/or follow up with the same social security office ? 
Or visit a new one and resubmit since the agent checked the wrong box anyhow ? 
One thing I am clear is that I wish we had found  VJ prior to submitting our application as We’d have done the CR1. 
The not “being able to work” isn’t an issue since we have a newborn and he watches her so she is not in daycare until she’s one years old. 
Other than that, the AOS paperwork is just crazy and trying to get everything done in 90 days is like a race to the finish line. 
Either way any advice on what others would do is welcome. 
Pretty Frustrated as we will submit AOS soon and want the Social Security number resolved quickly which seems to be an uphill battle. 
Thanks in advance and for letting me rant. 

He can’t work.  Not without an EAD.  Which will expire at the end of 90 days.

Why are you waiting for a SS number to file AOS anyway?  He needs an EAD card applied for as soon as the marriage certificate ink is dry.

Note:  Many AOS cases require EAD approval (filed with AOS) before a SS number is issued.

LOL it has been two weeks, right?  Be patient, it takes awhile.  My husband's arrived after about 5 weeks, by which time we had married and sent the AOS/AP/EAD applications. 

Even when I (USC) applied for a new card in my married name, it took longer than two weeks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

I keep posting this thread everywhere where I see there is SSN issue. If YOU go through bellow thread, you'll find phone number that saved me. I did exactly as Kerri and Myles and worked like magic for me. I applied for my SSN in July, waited those 5 weeks and nothing, applied for the second time. After a week time of waiting I found the thread below and did exactly the same thing as they did. The issue was that USCIS actually approved me on their side of SAVE but it didn't show on SSA side. I went to my SSA office, give the lady the phone number and tell her what to do, she called them and they instructed her over the phone. After that I had my SSN in the mail IN A WEEK!!!! 

55 minutes ago, HRQX said:

The SSA employee should have followed the POMS: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211530 "Legal alien allowed to work"

sscard.jpg

After receiving the GC they can go in-person to submit SS-5: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf The new SS card will be unrestricted:

Thanks for correcting my mistake.😁 I meant the SS card will be changed not the number as I wrote. Once issued a number it will always be your number 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Although our situation is different, I think you should not stress. We were estimated one month for it to be issued when I first applied for it. The month had passed, we married but there was no SSN in sight. So we went back to the office to inquire. They told us to give it another 2 weeks. So we did. 1.5 months after I applied, we went there again. 

First, they could not find me by my name (I have ONE first name separated by a hyphen and people do not know how to deal with it). When they did find me, it turned out my SSN was issued- but we did not receive the card. Turns out, the first time that we applied, the person at the office accidentally omitted our house number from the address. We couldn't receive it because of it. The second person that checked it for us apparently missed it too, as did we. It was a massive facepalm moment. 2 months after applying, I finally had my SSN card and was a lot more stressed.

As for the work part, it is why you need EAD. You can file for it free if you send it at the same time as your AOS package. Applying for AP is also free if you send it with the AOS. Highly suggest you apply for them, not only because they are free with the AOS but also because in order to have a state id/driver's license, you are required to have an EAD. Or at least, such is the case in Georgia. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

Why are you waiting for a SS number to file AOS anyway?  He needs an EAD card applied for as soon as the marriage certificate ink is dry.

I’m not waiting to file AOS was just hoping we had a number issued and was following up on it and asking a question. 
We just got married Friday and will be submitting AOS
We have two more forms we are finishing. 
He’s been here what, 3 weeks total.. but Thanks for the input  🙏 

Timeline
1 hour ago, HRQX said:

sscard.jpg

This is the answer I was seeking. 
TYVM! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Even when I (USC) applied for a new card in my married name, it took longer than two weeks.

Yeah, I applied for mine Friday and it was issued already. 
I think it depends on who or where your dealing with in terms of the agent. 
Thank You. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.