Hdblack84

Too risky to file i-751 by yourself?

18 posts in this topic

We used an immigration attorney and spent a lot of money to get initial green card a few years ago. Now it's time to file form i-751 and we feel we can do it by ourselves and avoid this $2,000 attorney fee. Is this too risky? I know there is a lot at risk with this one.

We have actually been collecting all the documents needed and working on the form

/paperwork for a few months now off and on. We finally have everything ready to file but I am second guessing and wondering if we should pay the attorney after all to make sure it all looks good. 

Also, with all the lists I've seen for what to provide, none of these included marriage certificate, pictures, affidavit from 2 people who know you......(but i found one website that suggested you send these things). Is it better to send more than what they ask for? 

We already submitted a ton of pictures and our marriage certificate a few years ago when we filed for green card, so wasn't sure if it was necessary to submit those again. Any tips greatly appreciated, thank you

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Joint address, bank accounts, car/health insurance, life insurance beneficiary documentation, joint bills (cell, credit cards, rent, mortgage), joint property (autos, home), joint travel (document trips taken together) go much further than pictures and sworn statements

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Hdblack84 said:

We used an immigration attorney and spent a lot of money to get initial green card a few years ago. Now it's time to file form i-751 and we feel we can do it by ourselves and avoid this $2,000 attorney fee. Is this too risky? I know there is a lot at risk with this one.

We have actually been collecting all the documents needed and working on the form

/paperwork for a few months now off and on. We finally have everything ready to file but I am second guessing and wondering if we should pay the attorney after all to make sure it all looks good. 

Also, with all the lists I've seen for what to provide, none of these included marriage certificate, pictures, affidavit from 2 people who know you......(but i found one website that suggested you send these things). Is it better to send more than what they ask for? 

We already submitted a ton of pictures and our marriage certificate a few years ago when we filed for green card, so wasn't sure if it was necessary to submit those again. Any tips greatly appreciated, thank you

If you do not have any red flags I would suggest that you do not waste money on an attorney. I have said this many times before on other forums. I just came full circle and obtained US Citizenship. I went K-1 -> AOS -> ROC -> Citizenship without a single lawyer. At the following link you will find the proof needed for your I-751: https://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide/

N400 - Naturalization                                                                                                        U.S. Passport

Aug 05, 2018 (Day 1): Applied for Naturalization online                                                  Oct 01, 2019 (Day 1): Sent US Passport Application

Aug 06, 2018 (Day 2): Check Cashed, NOA1 received online                                         Oct 08, 2019 (Day 8 ) : Passport trackable 

Aug 11, 2018 (Day 6): Recvd notification that Biometrics appointment scheduled       Oct 17, 2019 (Day 17) : Received Passport

Aug 13, 2018 (Day 8): Received biometrics appt letter online                                        Oct 21, 2019 (Day 21) : Received Naturalization Cert. back

Aug 28, 2018 (Day 23): Biometrics Appt

May 06, 2019 (Day 274): In Line For Interview

Jun 11, 2019 (Day 311): Interview Date

July 01, 2019 (Day 327) : Oath Ceremony I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

FROM K-1 PETITION SENT TO OATH CEREMONY WAS ABOUT 7 YEARS 4 MONTHS

After 8 years of marriage divorced October 4, 2021

TO SEE MY FULL TIMELINE GO HERE: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/user/125109-cdnon-usavt/

Timeline
24 minutes ago, Hdblack84 said:

The “risk” you’re wondering about, is that case specific, or just in general? 

If case specific, like for instance, criminal charges or something, then maybe a lawyer is advisable.

If you’re just a run of the mill regular couple, you should be fine.  If a lawyer made you feel this leg is risky, then shame on them, they just want your money.

Personally, the i751 has been the least stressful filing.  You submit it, and just go on about your daily life.

As for evidence:  focus on the pieces that provide the most probative value.  This would be joint finances such as checking/savings/credit accounts, joint assets (car, home, etc), joint tax filings, wills/poa’s, insurance, etc. 

You’ll also want to include proof of cohabitation.  Drivers licenses and a lease/deed accomplishes that.

Pictures, chat logs, and affidavits don’t hurt in concert with the items listed above, but they are not necessary, and certainly shouldn’t be relied upon as the only source of evidence. 

Thank you all so much, I feel more confident now. We are just your regular run of the mill couple. No criminal history, we bought a house together and have a 5 month old beautiful baby boy. I just felt myself that it was risky after I read that if you don't submit it in time or have any errors it could be rejected and they would start the process for "removal" and I certainly don't want my husband to be sent back to his country! So I was just paranoid after that. They just make it seem so serious like if you leave out one bit of information on the form accidentally then it's no good.....but I will probably read it all over 50 times before mailing it out just to be sure lol. 

Last question, since I havent filed anything myself before. We just mail the form, all documentation and payment...  that IS the filing, correct? And is it better to use FedEx, usps, etc.....wasnt sure if I should include tracking or a signature so I know its received?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

All the help and support you need is here on VJ.  Follow the guidelines and you're good to go.  Confidence is key! 

Timeline

Everything becomes stressful when you are dealing with filing forms---it's a natural feeling to have, because you feel that your entire life is in the hands of someone else at that moment.  

ROC is the "easier" part, in my opinion---at least it seemed so to me after having done the AOS.   For what it's worth, I completed the AOS, ROC and N400 without the assistance of a lawyer and I had/have a criminal history on top of that.  Many times, lawyers like to instill fear in their clients and make them believe they will not be successful without them---that's how they make their money. 

With a lawyer, all they are doing for you in the end is filling out the form on your behalf---their assistance will not guarantee an approval, nor will it guarantee you do not receive a RFE for further evidence later on.  You are still responsible for keeping on top of your case, gathering evidence, sending away for any documents you need, photocopying everything, tracking its arrival,  etc.  If you are called to an interview (most ROCs do not result in one, by the way), a lawyer cannot answer any questions on your behalf either---that's still your responsibility.  You are simply paying a lawyer to fill out a form that is quite easy to do so yourself, if you understand basic English.   Can a lawyer be useful in some cases?  Absolutely---however nothing you've said so far indicates that it's essential for you to use one.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

14 hours ago, Hdblack84 said:

Well we did it and were approved without interview, so must have done something alright without a lawyer. Just make sure you have strong and good evidence and are prepared to go through mounds of paperwork.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Another tip: use the cover letter to tel your story, and to outline the evidence (and provide context).

As for assembling it all, I followed the USCIS guidelines and did the 2-hole punch and held together with fasteners.  Used dividers with the bottom tabs to separate/group evidence.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

not risky at all. we did by ourselves and things went very well.

if you case is straightforward, it'll actually save time/money to file by yourself.

ROC Timeline

01/02/2019: I-751 delivered to USCIS (Texas)

01/08/2019: check cashed & online status show "case received"

03/02/2019: 18-month extension letter received (LIN)

08/02/2019: biometrics letter received

08/23/2019: biometrics appointment

11/04/2019: approval letter received

11/05/2019: online status changed to "card in production"

11/07/2019: card received ✌️😊

If your case is straightforward, which it is as your said, the amount of efforts you'd spend is about the same as hiring a lawyer. You would still need to go gather all the documents and fill out all the information that's needed on the form. Why not save the $$ for a nice vacation in Hawaii? There're so many nice people on this forum can help you out with most of your concerns. Read the thread below and you'll have 99% of the information you need. Good luck!

and you

N400

11.06.2019...........Application Submitted Online
11.16.2019............Receive Biometrics Letter in mail
11.29.2019............Biometrics done
08.17.2020............Interview Scheduled

09.21.2020............Interview, approved

09.22.2020............Oath Ceremony

Risk is a weird work for it... implies a sort of chance element. There are instructions. If you follow them you should have no problems. If you don’t, you may have problems.

From what I remember from those approval statistics that were floating around recently, RoC/I-751 was actually the process with the least denials. Like, 3% I believe?

It’s the part of the process (after K-1, AOS, etc) that’s been the biggest headache for us in terms of waiting with no updates, but it really wasn’t any more of a hassle than anything we had done before.

I filed everything all by myself for my partner, by the way. I was only 20 years old at the time and I figured it out, while working 30 hours a week and going to school full time. I also planned a successful 200+ wedding which is apparently difficult for most people who do K-1s. No RFEs, no issues.

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
19 hours ago, Going through said:

Most of us on this site have done it without the assistance of a lawyer---why pay someone else when you still have to do all the leg-work yourself?

Also,  any questions about the form you can ask here.... and not be charged for getting an answer, either ;) 

That is so true. I had a lawyer for the K1 part of this process, but going forward I'm going to do it with just my fiance and me, and the help of this great community. I remember so many times asking my lawyer and Visajourney the same question on the same day, and within the same day Visajourney got back to me with great information while my lawyer would get back to me several days later with a choppy response. 

19 hours ago, CDN(ON)-USA(VT) said:

If you do not have any red flags I would suggest that you do not waste money on an attorney. I have said this many times before on other forums. I just came full circle and obtained US Citizenship. I went K-1 -> AOS -> ROC -> Citizenship without a single lawyer. At the following link you will find the proof needed for your I-751: https://www.visajourney.com/content/751guide/

My wife and are I are the same: We did K-1 --> AOS --> pending ROC and plan to do Citizenship without an attorney, with the caveat that when I was very new to this and applying for the K-1, I put together the entire application and paid an attorney for 30 minutes of his time to look over my application and make edits and suggestions. At the time when I was new to this, that was worth the $140 or so that I paid for that. Having gotten confidence with that, we felt very good about not hiring an attorney for AOS and it went off without a hitch. Good luck to you!

Met in college, reconnected five years later. Started a life together in America. ❤️

11/09/16 - Mailed I-129F for K-1

11/16/16 - NOA-1

02/07/17 - NOA-2

03/06/17 - Medical (in London)

03/30/17 - Visa Interview - Approved!!

04/06/17 - Visa in hand!! 

05/17/17 - Point of entry, Boston

05/27/17 - WEDDING in Maine!

AOS / EAD / AP Timeline:

06/30/17 - Mailed I-131, I-765, and I-485

07/05/17 - NOA-1 for all three applications.

08/03/17 - Biometrics appointment in Portland, Maine

08/15/17 - Case Status "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview'

08/18/17 - Case Status "Interview Scheduled"

09/25/17 - Interview, 485 AOS Approved. Case status changed to "New Card is in Production".

09/26/17 - Case Status "Case Approved"

09/28/17 - "Card Was Mailed to Me"; received hard copy NOA stating case approved

9/30/17 - Case Status for EAD/AP changed to "Case closed, benefit received by other means"

10/03/17 - Two-year green card received in mail!! 😍

ROC I-751 Timeline
07/06/19 - Mailed I-751 

07/08/19 - Application received by USCIS

07/10/19 - Credit card charged, NOA-1 dated

07/11/19 - Text receipt received, EAC (Vermont)

7/13/19 - Received NOA/extension letter in mail

08/03/19 - Biometrics letter received

08/14/19 - Biometrics appointment completed

08/26/19 - Case status updated to “Fingerprint Review Completed”

05/20/20 - Case status updated to "New Card is in Production"

05/21/2020 - Case status updated to "Case Is Approved"

05/27/2020 - Received 10-year green card in mail on our three-year anniversary!

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

09/25/2020 - Filed online and received electronic NOA-1 same day, IOE receipt number

11/12/2020 - Biometrics reuse notice

12/28/2020 - Received notice for N-400 Interview

2/3/2021 - Interview at Lawrence, MA - Approved!

2/18/2021 - Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.