Mrs. Cristiano

Time to resign from the job

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, Cherry0517 said:

Hi all, I know it's a bit out of topic..

But I need someone to share me about their own experience about resign/quitting a job when you are the beneficiary of k1 visa. My question is "When was the exact perfect moment to say goodbye to your job.. In what kind of stage (ex: before noa 2, after noa 2, after noa 1 ?)".

Because for me.. it is very hard for me as a secretary of directors to leave even just a day. But in k1 visa I have to leave work for medex and interview which gonna make me have to leave work for two days each. the embassy is in other city than mine. Plus I need 3 months notification prior the time I excatly quit working in my company.

Please give me suggestions. Any suggestions and experiences would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Maybe when you know exactly what day you're flying to the U.S. you put in a 2 weeks notice? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, Cherry0517 said:

But I need someone to share me about their own experience about resign/quitting a job when you are the beneficiary of k1 visa. My question is "When was the exact perfect moment to say goodbye to your job.. In what kind of stage (ex: before noa 2, after noa 2, after noa 1 ?)".

Because for me.. it is very hard for me as a secretary of directors to leave even just a day. But in k1 visa I have to leave work for medex and interview which gonna make me have to leave work for two days each. the embassy is in other city than mine. Plus I need 3 months notification prior the time I excatly quit working in my company.

Please give me suggestions. Any suggestions and experiences would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My husband recently went through a similar experience.  He interviewed for a CR-1 visa on June 12 in Brazil and received his passport with the visa in it a week later.  Of course, after nearly two years of a long-distance relationship, I was hoping he would resign from his job that same day and get on the next plane to the USA so that we could finally be together.  But he wanted to give his employer a two month notice, so as difficult as it was for me, I respected his wishes, and we made travel plans for August and waited two months...  it seemed like the most difficult two months of our relationship, at least for me.  Looking back now, at those two months, he needed that much time to give notice he was resigning from his job, train his replacement, prepare mentally and emotionally for a very big change in his life, say goodbye to his family and friends, the country and town he grew up in and loves, prepare his financial affairs, decide what to pack up and take with him, etc.  Taking the time that he did really helped him to adjust to life here in the USA, which presents a whole new set of challenges.  So my advice is, take all the time you need, don't rush it.   And good luck with your upcoming move to the US!  I hope everything goes well.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
2 hours ago, aaron2020 said:

Some people care about their workplace.  They care about their coworkers.  They care to leave on good terms.  

Not everybody wants to leave their workplace and coworkers high and dry by leaving suddenly.  

Three months is excessive to the point of unreasonable.  It was a valid question.

My wife’s from Indonesia.  1 month is plenty of notice.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed for being other than english (ote)

if one needs to post in ote then please use the appropriate regional forum at https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/100-regional-discussion/

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

19 hours ago, Cherry0517 said:

Yes.. 3 months will be : submitting resign letter to my boss, needs around 2 months for HRD to find the best candidate to replace me, and 1 full month for me to train the new secretary

Personally, I’d wait to give notice until after my visa is in my passport.. 

from there, my boss gets minimum notice per my employment contract.. my case (1 mth) prior to when I’m ready to move

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 hours ago, Dxc said:

Wow 3 months notice is a long notice. 2 weeks for me is the max. If they fired you would they give you 3 months notice?

Different countries, different rules. We have 1-3 months notice in Sweden, depending on unions and agreements (goes both ways). 

I understand that you want to be "fair" to your employer cherry. As a teacher, I would not just get up and leave in the middle of a semester, or even a school year. I would still wait and put in the three months notice until you have the visa in hand. I know the waiting is tough, but by then there are so many things that need to be organized anyway, just like Carmel said, so you might be happy you have those extra months to prepare. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:02 PM, Cherry0517 said:

let me ask you this....

will your job give you three month notice??? hell, they wouldnt even give you a 2 day notice.

screw em. if you despise it, quit. give them a few days notice or no more than a week.

make sure you can afford to be unemployed too. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:34 PM, Cherry0517 said:

Yes.. 3 months will be : submitting resign letter to my boss, needs around 2 months for HRD to find the best candidate to replace me, and 1 full month for me to train the new secretary

lol!!!!!!!!

hahahhaha do you think they will care if you are 1 paycheck away from being homeless???!! 

F' em, no more than 1 week notice.

alot of employers these days are scum, screw them all.

On 10/31/2019 at 10:02 PM, Cherry0517 said:

Wow 3 months? I am from Indonesia also and was working as a secretary to director too. 

For safe it’s better to resign after you got approval of NOA2. But giving 3 months will be quite hard as you need to back and forth to Jakarta for medex and interview. Remember in between you will need time to collect supporting documents for interview too (myself including police certificate from other country I lived more than 6 months outside Indonesia).

Myself, I resigned 2 months before NOA2, tendered resignation on mid December last year, 1 month notice, HR working on my replacement and was lucky enough on week 3 the replacement joined so I could do hand over and trained her before my last day.

Pretty risky, luckily my fiance visited so I could spend my quality time out of work. A week after he left on February, we received NOA2. April-May was busy back and forth Jakarta for medex and Interview (as I lived in Bali). A whole March while waiting NVC, I took my time to prepare supporting documents for interview and also traveling SEA. interview were done and approved on May, end of May I flew to US.

goodluck!😀

Edited by mepck

4 hours ago, ZackG222 said:

F' em, no more than 1 week notice.

Spoken like a true american! 

Which brings up a valid point: I don't know about Indonesia or anywhere else, but here in the good old USA if you get your ### fired chance are you're out on the street within an hour. Welcome to the home of the brave!

I don't have the same exact experience. But when we decided to do K1, I just quit my job. I decided to look for part time job ( 3-4 days a week) with flexibility because I know we’ll need it. My fiance (now husband) was coming with his family to propose me (they did 'lamaran', the Indonesian way 🙂) and we’ll go on vacation together for a week. And then once he got back in US, he sent the K1 files. While waiting, there were couples time I need to get some papers done in preparation for me leaving the country. And some of them can only be done in business days which isn’t possible if I’m working full time. I quit my part time job with one month notice, couple days before MedEx, 3 weeks before interview ( fiancé went with me to interview). I got visa in hand 3 days before my scheduled flight. The safest way is to quit when visa in hand. Approval not always promised. But we were being optimistic since he came back all the way to Jakarta to go to interview with me, trying to show our good intentions ;). Good luck. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My wife's friend gave notice when she had her visa interview scheduled. Bad move. She was placed in Admin Processing, which went on for a few months. When AP was done, she had to get a new med exam since she potentially had TB, and due to that, she's waiting another few months. She's now been unemployed for over 6 months, and can't get a new job. 

I might have gotten the specific details wrong, but my point is you don't know what will happen during this whole process. Don't put in your notice until you get your visa, which will be valid for more than 3 months. 

And 3 months notice, even by Indonesian standards, is kinda crazy IMO. 

Edited by usmsbow
fixed typo

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.