Jump to content

30 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I know it's a bit out of topic..

 

But I need someone to share me about their own experience about resign/quitting a job when you are the beneficiary of k1 visa. My question is "When was the exact perfect moment to say goodbye to your job.. In what kind of stage (ex: before noa 2, after noa 2, after noa 1 ?)".

 

Because for me.. it is very hard for me as a secretary of directors to leave even just a day. But in k1 visa I have to leave work for medex and interview which gonna make me have to leave work for two days each. the embassy is in other city than mine. Plus I need 3 months notification prior the time I excatly quit working in my company.

 

Please give me suggestions. Any suggestions and experiences would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

3 months?  Why - you’re permanently emigrating.

Usually notice when the visa’s in the passport is the best strategy.

Yes.. 3 months will be : submitting resign letter to my boss, needs around 2 months for HRD to find the best candidate to replace me, and 1 full month for me to train the new secretary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The K-1 Visa is valid for 6 months, give or take.

 

If you give your "three months notice" once the visa is in hand, then your visa will still be valid for about 3 months--depending on when you took your medical examination. However, time in Administrative Processing may require you to take another medical examination.

Edited by Soon To Be Mrs. T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

The K-1 Visa is valid for 6 months, give or take.

 

If you give your "three months notice" once the visa is in hand, then your visa will still be valid for about 3 months--depending on when you took your medical examination. However, time in Administrative Processing may require you to take another medical examination.

Why did u say "depending on when you took your medex" ? is it affecting the visa validity times ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cherry0517 said:

Why did u say "depending on when you took your medex" ? is it affecting the visa validity times ?

Yes, it does. It is why it is recommended to do the medical examination just before the visa interview.

 

There are times when an applicant even has to do the medical examination twice; this is usually when their case is in Administrative Processing for an extended amount of time.

 

"An immigrant visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months."

 

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/after-the-interview.html

Edited by Soon To Be Mrs. T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Soon To Be Mrs. T said:

Yes, it does. It is why it is recommended to do the medical examination just before the visa interview.

 

There are times when an applicant even has to do the medical examination twice; this is usually when their case is in Administrative Processing for an extended amount of time.

 

"An immigrant visa is usually valid for up to six months from the date of issuance unless your medical examination expires sooner, which may make your visa valid for less than six months."

 

Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/interview/after-the-interview.html

And how long the expiry time for the medex result ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cherry0517 said:

And how long the expiry time for the medex result ?

The medical examination results are valid for 12 months but you have to enter the U.S. within the first 6 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way around it... Best policy is resign when you have the visa in your passport or after the interview... I would also point out after the interview is risky as so many people still report visas being rejected after AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The exact perfect moment to say goodbye to your job" is when you have a K-1 visa in your hands as suggested by the US Embassy.

 

The visa will be valid for 6 months from your medical.  6 months is more time than you need to give 3 months notice to your employer.

 

Quit before getting the K-1 in your hands at your own risk as stated by the US Embassy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cherry0517 said:

Yes.. 3 months will be : submitting resign letter to my boss, needs around 2 months for HRD to find the best candidate to replace me, and 1 full month for me to train the new secretary

and why would you care about any of this?


ROC sent 7/20

ROC received at SCS 7/23

Check cashed 8/3

NOA1 8/1

Applied for Naturalization 8/3

ROC transferred to NBC 9/12

Combo interview 11/4

ROC and Naturalization approved 11/5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, implife said:

and why would you care about any of this?

Some people care about their workplace.  They care about their coworkers.  They care to leave on good terms.  

 

Not everybody wants to leave their workplace and coworkers high and dry by leaving suddenly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, implife said:

and why would you care about any of this?

Cause this company makes me improved, gives me a lot of lessons.. the ppl there is my family from 8-5. I guess u will never leave ur family like "Oh, I've got the love of my life bye mom, bye dad" right away

4 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Some people care about their workplace.  They care about their coworkers.  They care to leave on good terms.  

 

Not everybody wants to leave their workplace and coworkers high and dry by leaving suddenly.  

Thanks for understanding my point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I would not do so until you have a visa in your hand bc there are still variables out of your control between the interview approval and actually receiving your passport back.

 

I respect your want to give so much notice, but at the end of the day, if 3 months won’t be possible, you (and your employer) will have to adjust.  I loved my job and my manager was great, but I still opted for only 2 weeks.  
 

If your employer knows you are doing this process, perhaps they could start looking for your replacement closer to your interview date, and have some ideal candidates lined up, and then when you have the visa, they can officially hire someone, and then the overlap is only 1 month for the training :)  I had a months notice of my interview, so that’s time for them to start looking, and assuming there are no delays in AP, you should have your visa back within 1-2 weeks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...