SusieQQQ

New Healthcare Requirements for US Immigrants

1,033 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
20 hours ago, yuna628 said:

What are their reasons for not being insured? And as for what to do? Ideally, it would for your spouse to obtain coverage and then add you to their coverage as their spouse.

You can certainly do that, just be aware it will be very expensive, and you will not be taking advantage of important comingling. You may also terminate any plan you purchase if you are offered a plan via a workplace or your spouse finally decides to get joint coverage.

These type of insurances really do not cover LPRs. They tend to cover visitors. That's the big key in the website title as you can see. There are a few different types of insurances that offer short term coverage to immigrants and visitors, but you have to sort through them. Keep in mind these are still all short term coverage, are not ACA compliant, they DO NOT cover pre-existing conditions either. Coverage offered is dubious and if you are going to shell out $353 a month you'd be wiser to invest that amount in a real health insurance plan.

I have health covarage through my job but i was looking for short term until open enrollment depending when my family would arrive. I didn't read all of it i was on lunch I seen for green card holders which my family would be when they come. my open enrollment is in nov i just refiled and they will not make it in time so i am just shopping and looking for when the time come. I just figured it would help someone and i said please please read because i didn't. Thank you for your insight

Hi everyone, I recently obtained my IR-1 visa (visa in my passport already) and planning to enter the US in February. 

Will I be asked for a health insurance at POE?

Additionally, any recommendations for a temporary new immigrant insurance? 

Thanks in advance for your replies 😀

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, UserC said:

Hi everyone, I recently obtained my IR-1 visa (visa in my passport already) and planning to enter the US in February. 

No....

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 hours ago, Chi2019 said:

i All ,

So i saw a video regarding Afidavit of support with USCIS immigration that would take effect from the 15th of October 2019 , that a Petitioner must earn over 62k(125% above the poverty level) a year , to prove that ones relative will not benefit from the needs base systems inorder to be able to file for Green card for a beneficiary during AOS .So my question is?

1. Does this new Policy affect any one about to submitt his or her 1-129F application form or is it just for the ones who have secured the K1 visa , married and are already settled in the United state?

2. Which application forms will have some changes from the 15th October

Pleases guys i need your input for clarification. Thanks

This number is not "exactly" true. Foremost and firstly the number being referred to is $64,375 and is 250% of the federal poverty line for a household of 4 (The number referenced is for 2018). For the entire federal poverty tables (for 2019) you can see: https://help.ihealthagents.com/hc/en-us/articles/225377107-What-are-the-2019-Federal-Poverty-Levels-

Now the bigger reply to this is that this is not a requirement, all that is required is 125% of the federal poverty line (which is $32,187 for household of 4 for 2019). If you get less then this it will be harder to prove your case but can be done with other means (eg. assets etc.). However under new rules and guidance it seems if you get between 125% and 250% (so between $32,187 and $64,375 again for a household of 4 you can look at table link above for other figures), you qualify but they may scrutinize your other factors like employment prospects, health, health care etc more carefully in making a full assesment, with this guidance it appears that if you make more then 250% it will just make your case a lot easier and streamlined, but again it is not a requirement or something that will make things exceedingly more difficult it just might make things a little more comlicated for you if you fall into the in-between category, if you fall under 125% things become way more difficult. 

Anyway above is my interpretation of changes + guidance (there is a difference between direct legal changes and guidance documentation given to consular offices, since guidance documents can often have more clarity on what to look for, both should be publicly available afaik).

2 hours ago, UserC said:

shouldn't be this should be assessed at interview stage which you have already passed through, however there are no guarantees these days on what border security may or may not try to scrutinize on entry, but the requirement is set for consular officers at the interview stage

3 hours ago, Justus Forever said:

I have health covarage through my job but i was looking for short term until open enrollment depending when my family would arrive. I didn't read all of it i was on lunch I seen for green card holders which my family would be when they come. my open enrollment is in nov i just refiled and they will not make it in time so i am just shopping and looking for when the time come. I just figured it would help someone and i said please please read because i didn't. Thank you for your insight

Why would your family need to wait until open enrollment? You should be able to add them to your work insurance as soon as they set foot in the US. You could technically add them right now, if your HR allows it.

2 hours ago, UserC said:

No. You're fine. Go get whatever insurance is available for you to obtain in your state. Privately purchased, through a spouse, through work, or through the exchanges. You do not require temporary insurance.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
16 hours ago, yuna628 said:

Why would your family need to wait until open enrollment? You should be able to add them to your work insurance as soon as they set foot in the US. You could technically add them right now, if your HR allows it.

No. You're fine. Go get whatever insurance is available for you to obtain in your state. Privately purchased, through a spouse, through work, or through the exchanges. You do not require temporary insurance.

Good Morning, yes that is what i did because open enrollment is next month and I wanted to add them HR told me I couldn't because they don't have a social. So I found this topic to see how to go around I will contact the insurance company and ask questions today

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Am I reading this WH proclamation right? - You have to prove at your visa interview that you will be covered within 30 days of entering the US... yet it doesn't tell you how to do this? 

So my husband, the applicant, doesn't need to be covered now; we can wait until he qualifies for special enrollment (change of status) upon entering the US with his visa? 

So how does he prove at his interview that he will get coverage within 30 days? 

My first thoughts - he brings a printout of the plan he intends to enroll in, and a print out of our bank account proving funds are available? 

I really wish these policies were clearer :( 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 10/6/2019 at 1:38 PM, Shamla said:

Hello Everyone,

I have read most of your comments but still don’t have answers to the below questions. 

1. Besides employer based insurance, I see the only two other insurance that a spouse can get is catastrophic or short term plans. I think travel insurance is NOT included. Can you fellow VJers confirm this?

2. Would you know on average how much catastrophic or short term premiums run monthly?

Why can't my spouse get his own private plan?  I have a low deductible plan for myself and our 2 children, and we just couldn't afford to add him when I'm finding individual non-subsidized plans for him starting at $300/month... 

Catastrophic plans are only available for individuals under 30 years of age FYI

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

Remember, you cannot use anything on the Affordable Care Act (ACA).  Apparently, getting a tax credit  makes you a public charge.   I found out the in Idaho they do not sell insurance that does not go thru the ACA.  Interesting.....what is a person to do?

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : El Salvador

I-129F Sent : 2006-03-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-03-16

I-129F RFE(s) : 2006-06-23

RFE Reply(s) : 2006-07-06

Touched July, 27

Touched July, 28

I-129F NOA2 : July, 31, 2006

NVC recieved Aug, 04,2006

Embassy recieved Aug, 14,2006

Packet 3 mailed Sept 19, 2006 per Visas USA.

Packet 3 Recieved in El Salvador by Digna October 17, 2006

Packet 3 Recieved in Calif. October 21, 2006.......Go figure, it was mailed on the 17th of October.

Medical completed Friday, Oct. 27. Instructed by clinic staff to call Embassy (Visas USA) for appointment.

Arrival SFO Dec. 29, 2006

Married Jan. 03, 2007

Cutting to the chase....after all the work

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Remember, you cannot use anything on the Affordable Care Act (ACA).  Apparently, getting a tax credit  makes you a public charge.   I found out the in Idaho they do not sell insurance that does not go thru the ACA.  Interesting.....what is a person to do?

ACA does not equal tax credit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

4 minutes ago, JohnL said:

Could be wrong but I think you can use the healthcare marketplace you just can't use the tax credits (i.e it cannot be subsidized). I think the point is weird anyway because an immigrant visa applicant can't apply for marketplace insurance until they are a green card holder anyway. Also there is no change to the rules regarding green card holders and using tax credits. (Not yet anyway).

To me at this point, this is the most confusing part of all of this:

Section 2c) (c)  Consistent with subsection (a) of this section, this proclamation does not affect the entry of aliens entering the United States through means other than immigrant visas, including lawful permanent residents.  Further, nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to affect any individual’s eligibility for asylum, refugee status, withholding of removal, or protection under the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, consistent with the laws and regulations of the United States.

So this means this doesn't affect lawful permanent residents (green card holders) only those applying for immigrant visas, which if you get and enter the country you then become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder).

It seems in this wording there is a lot of confusion that will occur in regards to health care requirements and I'm sure it's going to create very compounding confusion in immigrant communities.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 10/8/2019 at 2:39 PM, artcodex said:

Just to add do be careful with these plans and make sure you scrutinize the terms and conditions

I found a link that may be helpful when exploring various insurance plans in the US. 
It at minimum discusses insurance and what different plans mean and may help some of you. 
It reviews who can get what type of coverage and provides links to various other links for specific insurance plans. It also does a good job explaining some key terms here in the US when searching for a plan. 
If this may be helpful than great, if not than disregard. 
 I agree to always scrutinize the terms and conditions no matter what insurance you deem appropriate for insurance for you and your family members. 
This does focus on the elderly but does than branch into some other coverage for ex. people coming on a K1 or other visas and what type of coverage they can be eligible for. 

https://www.***removed***.com/new-immigrants-medical-insurance-plans/#

Edited by Sarah n Ryan

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 10/5/2019 at 1:52 AM, ADW & JOP said:

Not a Trump supporter and from a country with universal healthcare, I agree with this policy.

The other day, my wife and I were wondering why we haven't received our joint tax refund for this year. Our accountant contacted IRS and they explained it has been withheld due to Shared Responsibility. We both have healthcare insurance so we are sorting this out with the IRS right now. However, if taxpayers are expected to have healthcare insurance or make a shared responsibility payment , I see no reason why this should not be considered for prospective immigrants.

Reviewing his previous post, one can understand why he feels this way about the administration trying to "curb legal (immigration)".

What is "shared responsibility"? Is this related to the penalty that was supposed to go away? 

I have to say, that my insurance would not allow me to add my husband when he came and I had to pay a 9 month penalty that year. They said he had to wait until open enrollment since it was past the 60 days after we got married. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.