billding

Filing a K3 after I130 to expedite the process? NOA 1 to NOA 2 in just 4 months?

40 posts in this topic

I just saw here on VJ someone doing this. Does this actually work? Is it even legal?

If it is, I feel pretty dumb.

Hope the VJ veterans can chime in! TIA!

@Greenbaum @Hank_ @geowrian @missileman @payxibka

Edited by TXBill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, TXBill said:

I just saw here on VJ someone doing this. Does this actually work? Is it even legal?

If it is, I feel pretty dumb.

Hope the VJ veterans can chime in! TIA!

@Greenbaum @Hank_ @geowrian @missileman @payxibka

Are you k1?

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, TXBill said:

Yes but I was just wondering if that works. We were thinking of getting married in the Philippines but when we realized how long the spouse visa took we opted for the k1.

There is anecdotal evidence only.   Nobody can say for sure if filing the i129f after the i130 is or has any effect on the i130, with that said,  it is not proven and maybe just an internet legend

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, TXBill said:

Yes but I was just wondering if that works. We were thinking of getting married in the Philippines but when we realized how long the spouse visa took we opted for the k1.

There is only a couple months difference in the visa process between the spouse visa and fiancee visa.  The big delay is with the K-1 getting the green card after filing AOS .. spouse gets their green card/I-551 stamp upon entry in the USA, the K-1 can be waiting upwards of 10-12 months for the green card, and upwards of 6 months for an EAD.     That is a lots of time sitting home twiddling your thumbs.

There is a whole topic on the K-3/ I-130 "game" already

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

@payxibka and @Hank_ are correct.  I'll just add that this:

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1
    Slightly faster arrival in the US  
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.

CR-1
    Slightly slower arrival in the US 

Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

Read this :

It is more than anecdotal at this stage, there has been dozens of cases now, none unsuccesfull to my knowledge.

For our story, look at my profile.

Timeline
Just now, JulienR said:

Read this :

It is more than anecdotal at this stage, there has been dozens of cases now, none unsuccesfull to my knowledge.

I see no logical reason for this method to work.   There are thousands and thousands of I-130s already in the queue.  How/Why should filing an I-129f allow someone to jump the line?  

The only reason I can imagine is if there is one or 2 adjudicators in Nebraska (the only SC I have heard about) who are processing them incorrectly........just my opinion.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

10 minutes ago, missileman said:

I see no logical reason for this method to work.   There are thousands and thousands of I-130s already in the queue.  How/Why should filing an I-129f allow someone to jump the line?  

The only reason I can imagine is if there is one or 2 adjudicators in Nebraska (the only SC I have heard about) who are processing them incorrectly........just my opinion.

It's in Nebraska. According to @Joe & Dhee.

There's an explanation on their profile how they did it.

I read somewhere online (I closed the window I can't find it anymore) that some do this because when they file the i129f it forces the service center to look into their file and seeing that they submitted to the i130 they get NOA2/approval since their file is already open/being reviewed.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline
5 minutes ago, missileman said:

I agree, it does not make any sense and no one has an explaination, but the fact is a lot of people have tried and been successful. To my knowledge no K3 has been granted so far so there seem to be no risk in trying anyway, worst case it doesn't do anything. They might pick up on the loophole at some point though and close it. 

For our story, look at my profile.

6 minutes ago, missileman said:

That has not been the case until just very recently........That's why I think there is at least one rogue adjudicator in Nebraska....and it is blatantly unfair to the I-130 filers who have been waiting for months longer.......just my opinion.

I agree. Thanks for your opinion appreciate it

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TXBill said:

I agree. Thanks for your opinion appreciate it

But it might work......go for it........

As noted, there is scattered anecdotal evidence that filing an I-129F for a K-3 may result in faster processing than an I-130. I also concur that it doesn't make sense for this to happen, so if it's even true (the sample size is so small to know), it's likely due to a small handful of inexperienced IOs. It is certainly not something I would rely on, has not been the case in the past, and I would definitely not abandon your K-1 process to start a K-3 one.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.