jamrep

Children living away from you

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Just a word of advice as I see this happened to two of my male friend who went in for citizen interview.Most recently today.

If you have a child who is not currently living with you who is living in another country ;be aware that you will be asked to provide proof that you are taking care of the child/children financially and is in contact with them.Weather you are filing for them or not.This is for children under 18.

The test will be administered but you will not be approve until proof is shown .

Edited by jamrep

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
26 minutes ago, jamrep said:

Just a word of advice as I see this happened to two of my male friend who went in for citizen interview.Most recently today.

If you have a child who is not currently living with you who is living in another country ;be aware that you will be asked to provide proof that you are taking care of the child/children financially and is in contact with them.Weather you are filing for them or not.This is for children under 18.

The test will be administered but you will not be approve until proof is shown .

You are absolute right.  A parent needs to prove that they are supporting their child/ children even after separation, it is a requirement to prove moral character and it is moral responsibility too.  I also personally feel, that just not financial support , it is better to keep touch with kids also, in a form of sending cards, gifts and meeting them , if possible , telephone call, Facebook and other means.    IO might one day ask for those kind of proofs.

38 minutes ago, jamrep said:

Completely makes sense.  A parent's responsibilities to their child do not evaporate because they choose to move overseas.

Interesting. I guess that only happens if the child doesn't live with the parent, because in my interview, they couldn't care less if I provided any proof. I had to ask them if they wanted to see the original birth certificate of my child. "No, not interested in that". 

Your post mentions two male friends. So also, curious, would female be held to same standards? Because if they ain't, I'll be filing a class action lawsuit against USCIS.... 

Edited by USS_Voyager

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard if they asked this for children that are age 18 at the time of being in any USCIS process? My husband hasn't kept any records of this and it's going to be a nightmare to re-create documentation if they ask of his support of the child during their growing-up years, even though they are an adult at the time of the interview.

4 minutes ago, Moon&Stars said:

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard if they asked this for children that are age 18 at the time of being in any USCIS process? My husband hasn't kept any records of this and it's going to be a nightmare to re-create documentation if they ask of his support of the child during their growing-up years, even though they are an adult at the time of the interview.

It's for minors.  But it is possible thry can ask for evidence you supported a minor child at an interview. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

17 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

would female be held to same standards?

Yes: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/603841-n-400-no-evidence-of-dependent-child-support-father-refused/

16 minutes ago, Moon&Stars said:

even though they are an adult at the time of the interview.

If they were minors during the statutory period for GMC, then yes: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-f-chapter-5 "Failure to Support Dependents"

I see no problem with this policy.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

6 hours ago, jamrep said:

Was this a surprise? This to me sounds pretty normal? Not because you need it as proof for the citizen interview but because you are a parent!

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Considering that they can refuse you a US passport if you're behind on child support payments, this does not surprise me at all. I started telling my husband to keep all his receipts for his payments for his child and soon the child will live with us so hopefully we don't have any trouble when my husband applies for citizenship. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not a surprise---this is pretty normal for the N400 to be asked this when minor children do not live with the applicant .... even if those minor children live in the US and not overseas, USCIS views financial support as obligatory from the parent, according to their own policy manual---whether court ordered or not,  whether female or male, and regardless whether the child is overseas or not.  It's part of determining whether the applicant fulfills the GMC requirement.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Surely a parent should want to support their child and maintain contact for the sake of the child, not just to be able to check “yes” on a government form. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

We submitted a signed, translated, and notarized statement from my husband's daughter's mom that stated that he provides continued support for his under-18 daughter.

We understood that it was required to show this evidence in the application.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.