Giovanne

What's next? SSN and name change

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thank you,  Pitaya, for the extended explanation. I see, it's all because a bureaucracy and an additional time wait it may require.

I am currently at the beginning stage of K-1 process, so just collecting information for the future, to make it as smooth as possible.

Edited by EllyLilia

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
7 minutes ago, EllyLilia said:

Thank you,  Pitaya, for the extended explanation. I see, it's all because a bureaucracy and an additional time wait it may require.

I am currently at the beginning stage of K-1 process, so just collecting information for the future, to make it as smooth as possible.

You are smart for starting now to collect information. If it makes sense to you, you should consider saving my big posting in this thread. The links provided will serve you well in your upcoming immigration journey, and could save you from a lot of errors and false starts. 

I extensively used a scanner and a color laser printer for our journey. I scanned anything and everything that went to or came from USCIS/DOS etc. After scanning, I put all original documents in plastic presentation page savers, and made good quality color copies. At interviews, when asked to show an original document, I would present the original in plastic page saver, and a color copy for comparison, leaving the copy for their files. When the time came to send in an application with evidence, it was just a matter of printing out the requisite documents, fill out the forms, pay 'da man, send it off.

File your concurrent AOS/EAD/AP applications as soon as you can after your marriage. There are currently prolonged processing times with all of them, may as well get in queue ASAP.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

You are smart for starting now to collect information. If it makes sense to you, you should consider saving my big posting in this thread. The links provided will serve you well in your upcoming immigration journey, and could save you from a lot of errors and false starts. 

I extensively used a scanner and a color laser printer for our journey. I scanned anything and everything that went to or came from USCIS/DOS etc. After scanning, I put all original documents in plastic presentation page savers, and made good quality color copies. At interviews, when asked to show an original document, I would present the original in plastic page saver, and a color copy for comparison, leaving the copy for their files. When the time came to send in an application with evidence, it was just a matter of printing out the requisite documents, fill out the forms, pay 'da man, send it off.

File your concurrent AOS/EAD/AP applications as soon as you can after your marriage. There are currently prolonged processing times with all of them, may as well get in queue ASAP.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thank you so much for your kind help and advices, Pitaya ☀️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pitaya said:

Yep, and sometimes the clerks at the SSA offices are not the sharpest tools in the shed. The big thing that SSA has to verify is the person's entry into the CBP's SAVE program. The SAVE system is based upon the Form I-94. It is now automated, but until a few years ago, the data from the paper forms had to be hand-inputted into the SAVE system. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, it still has glitches. You have to have a valid I-94 to get a SSN. Many people can and do apply for SSN after marriage. That is what we had to do, since it took the sloths at CBP inputting the I-94 data over six weeks to get my wife's info entered into the SAVE system (but I-94 was still valid. Additionally, in some locales (i.e., Los Angeles County) it can take several weeks (months) in order to get a copy of your certified marriage license. By that time, your I-94 has expired and your window of opportunity to get a SSN is closed, then you have to go through another set of hoops (AOS receipts). You will see that getting all of these disparate pieces of evidence is not always that easy and straight-forward. Sorry, for the roundabout explanation, get your SSN as soon as you can, you can always change the last name later.

HTH>

Only the last name? Can I change two names?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Giovanne said:

For your Social Security Card, as long as the name you want on your card is your current legal name, it should be fine.

What you can change your name to through marriage (without doing a separate legal name change) varies from state to state.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 hours ago, EllyLilia said:

Interesting topic.  I am new to it too. Why do you think that it's better to get SSN first and then go for another one (with changed family/last name after marriage)? 

It's seems logical and more easy to me to go for it after marriage. Is there anything important in that sequence which I don't know?

Thank you!

Once your name changes it won't match the information that the immigrations have on you, and it won't match the i-94. Many, many people therefore have issues getting a SSN after marriage because many SSA employees simply refuse to help you get one.

It is ALWAYS better to have a SSN in your maiden name that you can start using asap instead of having no SSN at all for months and months, where you have to wait for your EAD to get one. 

No reason to take the risk of waiting until after marriage when you can easily get one in your maiden name first. At least you will have a SSN and it won't matter that it's in your maiden name, you can still start using it just fine.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Once your name changes it won't match the information that the immigrations have on you, and it won't match the i-94. Many, many people therefore have issues getting a SSN because many SSA employees refuse to help you get a SSN.

It is ALWAYS better to have a SSN in your maiden name that you can start using asap instead of having no SSN at all for months and months, where you have to wait for your EAD to get one. 

No reason to take the risk of waiting until after marriage when you can easily get one in your maiden name first. At least you will have a SSN and it won't matter that it's in your maiden name, you can still start using it just fine.

Thanks, Scandi. Good to know that.

1 hour ago, Giovanne said:

Check the laws in the state where you live. In many states, changing anything but a surname (by using the marriage certificate) requires a court order.

37 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Check the laws in the state where you live. In many states, changing anything but a surname (by using the marriage certificate) requires a court order.

Exactly. The only thing we could change was the surname in Georgia. 

18 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

That's not really the case anymore. If you're going to be able to be processed without manual verification, they'll almost certainly be able to do it within a few days of POE (they certainly were for Anastasia). And if you are going to need manual verification, you might as well get them started ASAP.

Why do some go through manual verification?

18 hours ago, Eric&Mirella said:

You can check this link

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

You need to print and take your i-94 with you. After you enter you should print your i-94 from here: 

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

I read this on the link:

If you do not have permission to work, you may apply for a Social Security number only if:

• A federal law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get a particular benefit or service; or
  • A state or local law requires you to provide your Social Security number to get general assistance benefits for which you already have qualified.

If you need a number to meet these state or local requirements, you must bring us a letter from the government agency. It must be on letterhead stationery (no form letters or photocopies) and:

• Specifically identify you as the applicant;
  • Cite the law requiring you to have a Social Security number;
  • Indicate that you meet all the agency's requirements, except having the number; and
  • Contain an agency contact name and telephone number.

It kind of sounds like K1 people can't get a SSN (which is obv. not the case) or did I misread something?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
13 minutes ago, TXBill said:

Why do some go through manual verification?

I went through manual verification because I have three first names and only two and a half of them fit on my i-94. So since the i-94 didn't show my full name it had to be verified by the immigrations. I later sent an email to CBP and they actually fixed the issue, they managed to fit my whole name somehow.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

8 minutes ago, Scandi said:

I went through manual verification because I have three first names and only two and a half of them fit on my i-94. So since the i-94 didn't show my full name it had to be verified by the immigrations. I later sent an email to CBP and they actually fixed the issue, they managed to fit my whole name somehow.

So manual verification happens when there's a discrepancy between the i94 and other legal documents (passport, etc.) Or is it discretion of the SSA office? Is there a way to avoid manual verification?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We went 2 days after she gets here. We received 4 weeks later, bcs now they are double checking all documents After we received the SS Card we went back with the original MArriage license, now we are waiting for the new car with the changes...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Portugal
Timeline
22 hours ago, Giovanne said:

So my visa got issued today, I'm waiting on my passport to arrive. It is coming from France and all I got is it's tracking number, it's not on the system yet. So here are a few questions:

1.Does anyone know how Chronopost Europe works? On the packaging I delivered to the embassy it stated "1 day shipping". But online it says 2-5 business days for countries in Europe/

2. When I get to the USA I'll be marrying as soon as possible, I want to take my fiancee last name, so should I apply for SSN first, get married, and change the SSN later? Or should I just wait, get married and then apply for the SSN? (I'll also be changing my middle name, I never liked it, so I'll add something "nicer")

3. How long does it usually take for me to be able to get a job and start working?

4. Does anyone know if I'll be able to drive with my current Portuguese drivers license?

5. Will I be able to exchange my current drivers license to a Michigan drivers license?

6. How long does it usually take to be able to get a drivers license? (I read online that I'll be able to work much sooner than I will be able to drive, but Idk the veracity of these statements, and if so, that would greatly limit my options)

Thank you!

Hello.

I am from Portugal and I took my interview in France. My passport got in the mail 4 days after the interview so that was pretty quick. After that I bought my flight and I was ready to go.

To your questions as I've been through many of them recently:

2. When I get to the USA I'll be marrying as soon as possible, I want to take my fiancee last name, so should I apply for SSN first, get married, and change the SSN later? Or should I just wait, get married and then apply for the SSN? (I'll also be changing my middle name, I never liked it, so I'll add something "nicer") I needed my marriage certificate to apply for a SSN, so I'd say get married first. Going to the Social Security office and applying for a SSN can be a patience game. I went there the day I got married. They asked me for the marriage certificate, I-94 and my passport. I've also changed my name but I have a huuuuuuge name so that was the first problem. It wouldn't fit their filling spaces. The person there suggested I'd give them a name I'd like to use here so I went with my first, maiden and my husband's last. I waited for 4 weeks as they said it could around that and nothing came in the mail. I went back there and they said that it didn't get through because of my name change so I had to apply all again. I was a little bit mad but the manager happened to be passing by and heard me. He was super nice and helpful (the fact that he was portuguese migth have helped hehe) and they ended up tracking my application and giving me my SSN right away. After two days I got my card in the mail.

3. How long does it usually take for me to be able to get a job and start working? After you get married apply rigth away for the AOS (adjustment of Status). Also apply for the EAD (Work permit) and the AP (Advance Parole) combo card. That will allow you to work and travel while your green card doesn't arrive - GC takes a while. The average waiting now for the EAD/AP combo card now is from 4-7 months depending on the office your send the documents to - mine is Illionois. You can't work without your work permit.

4. Does anyone know if I'll be able to drive with my current Portuguese drivers license? I am currently driving with mine. I advise you to get the IDP (International Drivers Permit) as our drivers license doesn't have English translation on it and we need it to drive around the states. You have to get yours in Portugal - If that's where you are now. All the other questions you should go to the RMV of your state  either their office or website and dig into that. 

Edited by RJ_MA

"some beautiful paths can't be discovered without getting lost." 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.