mytruelove18

Green card cut in two pieces or broke

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
8 minutes ago, ClickityClackity said:

I mean she also got his SS card, meaning she has access to his SSN. I don't know, I rather be overzealous than have to go through an identity fraud process.

They are married. Would think its quite common that married people have access to each others documents. At least we have.

That he may want to keep all those for himself after this I would totally understand.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

They are married. Would think its quite common that married people have access to each others documents. At least we have.

That he may want to keep all those for himself after this I would totally understand.

His hopefully soon to be ex-wife has shown clear intent of trying to screw his husband's life, so I would not trust her at all. Zero percent. Hence changing the SSN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 minutes ago, HRQX said:

He can try to get a new number under the Harrassment and Abuse exemption: https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02220 The caveat is that it's at the SSA's discretion to issue a new number or not.

I tried to change my SSN a few years ago when someone in a foreign country tried to file my income tax return for me and tried to get my refund.  It was a classic example of identity theft, most likely from one of the big data breeches.  They said there was no way to get a new SSN, it is assigned for life, no exceptions.  I guess a person claiming harassment could try, but they are very unlikely to give a new number unfortunately.  So now I have to monitor my credit reports carefully and when I file income tax returns I have to use a special PIN for additional security.

4 hours ago, boris64 said:

Yes, once the cutting starts who knows where it will stop)))))

Stop that Boris hehehe!! That was a good one!!!!!!

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

10 hours ago, ClickityClackity said:

Your friend should also request a new social security number. 

Why?  That isn't going to happen.  He can get a new paper card, but the number is for life.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
2 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Why?  That isn't going to happen.  He can get a new paper card, but the number is for life.

I wouldn't trust his wife with anything. If she's trying to get him deported one can only imagine what else she could try to do

Just now, ClickityClackity said:

I wouldn't trust his wife with anything. If she's trying to get him deported one can only imagine what else she could try to do

I don't think a "what if" situation would fly with the SSA.  They would be way more concerned about actual fraud.

A good number of people who have been identity theft victims, had horrible breakups and divorces, etc. would probably want a new SSN. But that alone won't justify the need for one.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

@geowrianI thought a green card was evidence of the LPR, not the LPR itself.  Trying to understand the difference between OP's situation and mine - beyond the obvious. He needs GC to re-enter because the GC was destroyed, but I'm ok entering on AP because my GC is presumably in my mailbox at that point?

45 minutes ago, Teemo said:

@geowrianI thought a green card was evidence of the LPR, not the LPR itself.  Trying to understand the difference between OP's situation and mine - beyond the obvious. He needs GC to re-enter because the GC was destroyed, but I'm ok entering on AP because my GC is presumably in my mailbox at that point?

The OP shouldn't have an issue getting back into the country with a missing or damaged green card - if they can get to the border. The issue is how would they board the flight? Without proper documentation, the airline won't board them.

In your case, the valid AP is sufficient for the airline to board you.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

42 minutes ago, Teemo said:

He needs GC to re-enter because the GC was destroyed, but I'm ok entering on AP because my GC is presumably in my mailbox at that point?

Presumably OP's friend will fly back to the US from the Dominican Republic. For flights, before even reaching CBP, travelers encounter airline staff at boarding. Odds are the airline staff won't accept a damaged GC.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The OP shouldn't have an issue getting back into the country with a missing or damaged green card - if they can get to the border. The issue is how would they board the flight? Without proper documentation, the airline won't board them.

In your case, the valid AP is sufficient for the airline to board you.

14 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Presumably OP's friend will fly back to the US from the Dominican Republic. For flights, before even reaching CBP, travelers encounter airline staff at boarding. Odds are the airline staff won't accept a damaged GC.

Ah I see. I never get asked for my EAD or a visa from the airline because I am Canadian so they don't think to ask for anything further, so I forgot that this affects other people. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.