SLJD

Would I be a public charge?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I am in a difficult situation. the most difficult that has come to my life.... My husband died a few weeks ago, I had to renew my green card this month.... My husband's relatives want me to place the application in social security ((of a widow and for my 9 year old girl to receive money from him)) He was 65 years old and was about to retire from work in 2021. I'm very afraid to make that application and receive that help or whatever from social security. I'm going to move in about two weeks. I don't have my own house, incredibly we had returned from vacation and to see some houses for a day to buy. My life and my soul hurts! because my soulmate left me. 

Please greatly appreciate your partners, every minute is golden when you love. my husband, my 10 year old daughter and I had a week before his departure, very beautiful week. IT’s insane how the unexpected can just be around the corner, you know.
I mean, you go along think everything is fine. And, BOOMMM It’s just not. 

Sorry for writing so much. My question is a public charge for receiving social security money from him?

thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

No. Social Security is something he paid into the entire time he worked. You and your child are entitled to this benefit.

Edited by belinda63

16 minutes ago, SLJD said:

I am in a difficult situation. the most difficult that has come to my life.... My husband died a few weeks ago, I had to renew my green card this month.... My husband's relatives want me to place the application in social security ((of a widow and for my 9 year old girl to receive money from him)) He was 65 years old and was about to retire from work in 2021. I'm very afraid to make that application and receive that help or whatever from social security. I'm going to move in about two weeks. I don't have my own house, incredibly we had returned from vacation and to see some houses for a day to buy. My life and my soul hurts! because my soulmate left me. 

Please greatly appreciate your partners, every minute is golden when you love. my husband, my 10 year old daughter and I had a week before his departure, very beautiful week. IT’s insane how the unexpected can just be around the corner, you know.
I mean, you go along think everything is fine. And, BOOMMM It’s just not. 

Sorry for writing so much. My question is a public charge for receiving social security money from him?

thank you 

No, social security survivors benefit is not a public charge type of benefit. Your husband paid into it his whole life so it is fine

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can draw on this benefit as he paid money into it while he worked ( assuming he worked a job covered by social security)   How old are you ?    You can collect retirement off his account later assuming you are old enough 

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

No issue to collect.

No public charge issue to renew a green card.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I could be wrong but I think in order to collect SSA benefits as a beneficiary you need to be a a US citizen or an LPR with a specific amount of time in residence.  Am I wrong?

Edited by MjC772

Just now, MjC772 said:

I could be wrong but I think in order to collect SSA benefits as a beneficiary you need to be a a US citizen with a specific amount of time in residence.  Am I wrong?

No need to be a USC, actually. One just needs to be able to claim 40 quarters of SS credits.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 3 weeks later...

it's his right for your child to collect, I also believe you can collect even if you don't meet the conditions as the caregiver of the child until they are 16, it's worth looking into. I am so sorry for your loss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.