jsree84

More evidence required

36 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I logged on and I thought I could put this behind me, but Trump Administration hasn't been making things easy. So, I'll get right into it:

1) Our immigration attorney filed for our i-751 sometime last year in September and I received a letter to get my biometrics done. That was easy, went without a hassle. 

2) We recently received a letter asking for more evidence of our marriage (even though we submitted our joint taxes for 2017 and 2018, joint bank statements,  house deed, and more proof (travel tickets/photos) to proof the legitimacy of our marriage

3) Our attorney asked for more info such as: joint account bank statements, receipt of our puppy that we got together last year, membership to places we have as a couple etc. We did and she said it wasn't enough and she suggested transcript of our taxes and letters of affidavit - primarily from my in-laws because they live here.

I'm planning on drafting out a letter on her behalf, but I would love some pointers/advice/anything at all to help us. It's been so stressful and I feel my lawyer isn't up to par, which is frustrating in itself. 

Has anyone had to do that (letters of affidavit) and can you share some pointers? I'm researching more, but i thought it'd be prudent to first ask around here. 

Thank you everyone in advance and please forgive me if this isn't the right space to post this. 

Thanks

Jai 

I submitted 2 letters of affidavit, and full tax returns (1040) with W2's. Any joint credit cards we had and pretty much anything that's shows co-mingled living and finances we sent. Essentially, everything but the kitchen sink. See if you can round up more strong evidence and submit some recent stuff too.

AOS
09/23/2016 - I-130 & I-485 Concurrent Filing 
09/27/2016 - I-485 NOA date 
10/2016 - Biometrics 11/03/2016 - RFE for I-864 
11/7/2016 - Sent response 
12/14/2016 - Case ready for interview
03/28/2017 - Interview scheduled for May 3rd 2017 
05/01/2017 - Interview canceled: (waiting on other paperwork to be transferred) 
07/14/2017 - New interview scheduled for 8/28/2017 
8/28/2017 - Interview attended  Approved on spot 
09/14/2017 - Received PR card for 2YR

ROC Process:
*Earliest filing date 5/30/2019
5/29/2019 - Sent ROC packet via Fedex overnight to Lewisville, TX
5/30/2019 - Packet delivered and signed
6/4/2019 - Text notification for case received with EAC#
6/6/2019 - NOA1 received
6/29/2019 - Biometrics letter received
7/10/2019 - Attended biometrics
4/10/2020 - New Card is being produced
4/13/2020 - Case was Approved
4/15/2020 - Approval notice received

4/17/2020 - Card was received
**No transfers, No RFE, No interview**

44 minutes ago, missileman said:

Something looks weird here.......Are you sure your attorney submitted the evidence?  The things you submitted are much, much better than any affidavit you might get someone to sign......

That's exactly what my husband said and it's weighing a bit on my mind because we have to take her word for it. I'm guessing she submitted it but we feel like she isn't doing enough, such as giving me a template to work with. 

14 minutes ago, wayno1515 said:

I submitted 2 letters of affidavit, and full tax returns (1040) with W2's. Any joint credit cards we had and pretty much anything that's shows co-mingled living and finances we sent. Essentially, everything but the kitchen sink. See if you can round up more strong evidence and submit some recent stuff too.

My husband and I are going on a trip to Europe and I told her we had airline tickets - the only catch is we're both flying back on different dates, simply because he's able to spend an extra week catching up with his best friends and I don't have enough off days to take an extra week. My attorney immediately said no and that she didn't want them to raise questions about our return trip. I thought it was truly odd. At the point, I rather do an interview with the agents just to get this stress over with :( 

Also, I have a question about the affidavits you sent. This letter is supposed to be from my in-laws, so i'm trying to draft one first and need some help. How granular did you get with the letters? Did you include the dates of meeting, where, how did it go, or more general like how often you meet up with them etc? 

Edited by jsree84

8 minutes ago, jsree84 said:

My husband and I are going on a trip to Europe and I told her we had airline tickets - the only catch is we're both flying back on different dates, simply because he's able to spend an extra week catching up with his best friends and I don't have enough off days to take an extra week. My attorney immediately said no and that she didn't want them to raise questions about our return trip. I thought it was truly odd. At the point, I rather do an interview with the agents just to get this stress over with :( 

I can understand that point of view. However you could always explain why you guys returned at a different date. That's just me though. You can send pictures, but what are you planning on sending now?

Our letters of affidavit came from my mother in law and one of her uncles. Pretty much the letter began with how we came to know each other, talked about me and my wife's relationship and how it grew and continues to grow. Also talked about how we socialized and spent time together.

Edited by wayno1515

AOS
09/23/2016 - I-130 & I-485 Concurrent Filing 
09/27/2016 - I-485 NOA date 
10/2016 - Biometrics 11/03/2016 - RFE for I-864 
11/7/2016 - Sent response 
12/14/2016 - Case ready for interview
03/28/2017 - Interview scheduled for May 3rd 2017 
05/01/2017 - Interview canceled: (waiting on other paperwork to be transferred) 
07/14/2017 - New interview scheduled for 8/28/2017 
8/28/2017 - Interview attended  Approved on spot 
09/14/2017 - Received PR card for 2YR

ROC Process:
*Earliest filing date 5/30/2019
5/29/2019 - Sent ROC packet via Fedex overnight to Lewisville, TX
5/30/2019 - Packet delivered and signed
6/4/2019 - Text notification for case received with EAC#
6/6/2019 - NOA1 received
6/29/2019 - Biometrics letter received
7/10/2019 - Attended biometrics
4/10/2020 - New Card is being produced
4/13/2020 - Case was Approved
4/15/2020 - Approval notice received

4/17/2020 - Card was received
**No transfers, No RFE, No interview**

5 minutes ago, TheKingmaker said:

Sometimes people send Bank Accts with no transaction history. Did you send transaction history? 

That's a good question - I don't remember if we included transactions, but this time we're definitely including 2 years of transactions too.

3 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

First i'll start by saying that the Trump Administration have nothing to do with this at all.

Sounds more like a typical lawyer problem.

Also sounds like week things she is asking for.

Send in the tax from last year, DL showing same address, are you beneficiary on each others retirements, insurance and all that good stuff?

My immigration attorney would beg to differ - she said they were tightening up regulations.  But yes,  this time, we sent everything short of a baby. 

Edited by jsree84

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
25 minutes ago, jsree84 said:

My immigration attorney would beg to differ - she said they were tightening up regulations.  But yes,  this time, we sent everything short of a baby. 

Who gives a rip about the White House !

Good, hopefully you sent enough tree products with printing on them. USCIS seems to love to denude forests. Initially for our ROC we sent in around six pounds of evidence (paper). Months later after the RFE, we send in another near four pounds of paper, everything 'cept the kitchen sink. Don't bother with affidavits, they are at best secondary, weak evidence of nothing. I believe the key was that we included wills, living wills and durable powers of attorney with the RFE. That seemed to satisfy the adjudicator's quest for "marriage bonafides."

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

4 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Well Your attorney haven’t done a good job so far so she has to blame somebody so you guys will keep paying her haha. 

Hopefully you can sent them stuff and get approved soon. 

Haha? If you've nothing to add to this conversation, I rather you didn't.

30 minutes ago, Pitaya said:

Who gives a rip about the White House !

Good, hopefully you sent enough tree products with printing on them. USCIS seems to love to denude forests. Initially for our ROC we sent in around six pounds of evidence (paper). Months later after the RFE, we send in another near four pounds of paper, everything 'cept the kitchen sink. Don't bother with affidavits, they are at best secondary, weak evidence of nothing. I believe the key was that we included wills, living wills and durable powers of attorney with the RFE. That seemed to satisfy the adjudicator's quest for "marriage bonafides."

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Thank you, that was really insightful. I'm going to look into writing up a will. We're also sending in beneficiary letters this time in an attempt at making it more robust. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.