25 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. 

I hope everyone is having a good day and that all of your visa processes are going without any trouble.

I am at the point right now, before scheduling my interview appointment. All previous steps have gone well so far. I have to schedule a medical appointment and gather a couple of documents before scheduling an interview at the consulate in my country. 

the question i want to ask is; in the list of documents i need, it says i must bring with me a certified copy of my fiances u.s. passport (bio page only). the situation is that my fiance doesnt have a passport, and i was wondering if there is any other document she can use instead? 

i thank you all who answer and hope everyone is well. 

(I appologize for my english if its inccorect)

My husband sent me his original birth certificate (pretty sure a copy would also have been fine). Is your fiance a born US citizen?

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

5 hours ago, RedAndBelle2019 said:

Hello everyone. 

I hope everyone is having a good day and that all of your visa processes are going without any trouble.

I am at the point right now, before scheduling my interview appointment. All previous steps have gone well so far. I have to schedule a medical appointment and gather a couple of documents before scheduling an interview at the consulate in my country. 

the question i want to ask is; in the list of documents i need, it says i must bring with me a certified copy of my fiances u.s. passport (bio page only). the situation is that my fiance doesnt have a passport, and i was wondering if there is any other document she can use instead? 

How did you Fiancée visit you without a US Passport? After all that is a requirement for a K-1 visa. I am assuming you are the beneficiary and the "fiancé" is the petitioner. Is this the right assumption?

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

3 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

How did you Fiancée visit you without a US Passport? After all that is a requirement for a K-1 visa. I am assuming you are the beneficiary and the "fiancé" is the petitioner. Is this the right assumption?

Is it a requirement that the visit has to be done by the US citizen to the country of the beneficiary specifically? I thought it was required to have met at least once (anywhere really..) Learning every day I guess! 😀

I'm assuming the beneficiary visited the US citizen in the US?

“It’s been 84 years…” 

6 minutes ago, Daphne K said:

Is it a requirement that the visit has to be done by the US citizen to the country of the beneficiary specifically? I thought it was required to have met at least once (anywhere really..) Learning every day I guess! 😀

I'm assuming the beneficiary visited the US citizen in the US?

You can visit anywhere in the world but I wasn't able to ascertain that from their post hence the question "How did you...". So, the question is did they meet in the US or in another country. I'm not assuming anything, I am just asking how they met to satisfy the K-1 meeting requirement within 2 years of filing the I-129f. If it was in the US then yes petitioner didn't need a passport. I can only opine to what I read in their post and that stood out to me.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
54 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Maybe the beneficiary visited the USA.   A USC is  NOT required to have a passport 

YMMV

21 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Maybe the beneficiary visited the USA.   A USC is  NOT required to have a passport 

I know that! Thats why opined later that that was a posibility.  Where did you see that I said  they couldn't visit in the US??. Nowhere! Jeeesh.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

7 hours ago, RedAndBelle2019 said:

Hello everyone. 

Oh boy, haha. I should have explained it a bit better. Okay. I am the beneficiary. Living in Slovenia. I visited my fiancé, petitioner, in the USA two years ago. 

My fiancé never went anywhere outside her own state, so she never had a passport. I hope I'm explaining it right so far. We applyed for a K1 visa this year, and so far the everything went good. I received an email from.the USA consulate in Slovenia, to prepare the rest of the documents, before scheduling the interview. In the email from the USA consulate I got a list of documents I must bring with me to the interview. One of those things is a certified copy of my fiancé (petitioners) passport. The issues is that my fiancé doesn't have a passport,so can't make a copy of it. Maybe I could use a different document, like her ID card? It has the same information on it, right? Anyway, I apologize for the confusion. Have a good day everyone

3 hours ago, Daphne K said:

My husband sent me his original birth certificate (pretty sure a copy would also have been fine). Is your fiance a born US citizen?

Yes, my fiancé is a US born citizen. She doesn't have a passport,so she was worried about it. It's good to know I can use a copy of get birth certificate. Thank you for your answer

Just now, RedAndBelle2019 said:

Oh boy, haha. I should have explained it a bit better. Okay. I am the beneficiary. Living in Slovenia. I visited my fiancé, petitioner, in the USA two years ago. 

My fiancé never went anywhere outside her own state, so she never had a passport. I hope I'm explaining it right so far. We applyed for a K1 visa this year, and so far the everything went good. I received an email from.the USA consulate in Slovenia, to prepare the rest of the documents, before scheduling the interview. In the email from the USA consulate I got a list of documents I must bring with me to the interview. One of those things is a certified copy of my fiancé (petitioners) passport. The issues is that my fiancé doesn't have a passport,so can't make a copy of it. Maybe I could use a different document, like her ID card? It has the same information on it, right? Anyway, I apologize for the confusion. Have a good day everyone

Your post read absolutely fine to me! 👍🏻 

Yes, you can also use a copy of her ID card I guess. As mentioned, for my consulate the BC was also good.

Good luck on your interview!  

“It’s been 84 years…” 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Direct quote from NVC website, documents required for the interview:

Proof of your U.S. petitioner’s status and domicile in the United States (photocopy of both sides of the Lawful Permanent Resident card I-551, Certificate of Naturalization, or U.S. passport).

Your US fiancee may have to get a US passport to satisfy this requirement, send an email to the US embassy/consulate where the interview will be held to make sure that a birth certificate is acceptable, since it is not listed.  A US passport can be applied for and received in 48 hours using a fast passport service.  Good luck with your interview!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
6 hours ago, little immigrant said:

You said you visited two years ago. You need to meet within the last two years so if the two years are already passed very soon you need to visit again or your K1 gets declined. Please be aware of that. 

Nope just have to have met within 2 years of filing the I-129F 

OP Her BC should be fine to use.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

Nope just have to have met within 2 years of filing the I-129F 

OP Her BC should be fine to use.

A BC should be even better than an ID card. But if she's sending a copy of one, it won't hurt for her to send a copy of both - even if it's only for your own peace of mind.  Heaven knows there's enough stress that goes with an interview. Anything that helps you worry less is a good thing. Even if it's surplus to requirement :)

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, carmel34 said:

A US passport can be applied for and received in 48 hours using a fast passport service

At a cost of more than the whole I129F petition filing fees. Just use standard processing, and without proof of immediate international travel, you will not be able to get the 48 hour service anyway, as they require proof of pending travel. And it is only usually available for a renewal of a current passport. You have to have the oath done by an authorized agency for the first passport. The fastest I have seen a first passport issued is 7-10 days.

Edited by Loren Y

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.