rabeeyeah

LPR filing for husband

68 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hi, 

I'm a legal permanent resident of US for almost 2 years now. However, I've been living in Pakistan (with my husband) since I got married (9 months ago). I want to apply for his immigration. I'm concerned if me not living in the US could be an issue for us? Also need help filling out the forms. Specially need to know what documents to attach for evidence of bonafide marriage. We currently only have marriage certificate, a few hotel bookings from Thailand and within Pakistan and pictures from our trips together. We live together and work at the same hospital but have no joint tenancy certificates etc. How do we get those? Or affidavits from witnesses to our marriage?

I also want to know where and how to mail our package to the US? Do I sent it directly to Chicago lockbox or what? 

I would really appreciate an elaborate answer as I'm doing this by myself and I am clueless but also don't want to mess it up. 

Thanks! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How are you maintaining your Permanent Residency?

When are you coming back to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

How are you maintaining your Permanent Residency?

When are you coming back to the US?

I visit my family every few months. Next trip in October.

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

When do you plan on returning to the USA?

I keep visiting my family every few months. Will be traveling again in October.

Timeline

When will you be moving back to the US?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Can not see how that could work.

Timeline
1 minute ago, JFH said:

That’s going to take at least 2 years. Plus his AP time (which, for Pakistan, is likely to be longer than average). 

A green card isn't for visiting your family every couple of months. It’s for maintaining your permanent residence here. 

If you obtained a green card through a prior marriage you have to be an LPR for 5 years before you can petition for your current spouse. 

My aunt sponsored our green cards and I was living there until I got married. Its inconvenient to live over there since I'm also working in Pakistan on a contract until 2021.

Anyway, I am aware of the 2 year wait time.

Any help with the application process? 

Timeline

An I 407 would seem to be more appropriate. As has been said a Green Card is for living in the US, to visit you need a B Visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, rabeeyeah said:

What would be the problem?

In general, you have to set up domicile in the US, but with you working and living in Pakistan, that may be difficult.  Additionally, just making short trips for the next few years may land you into trouble with respect to maintaining your LPR status.  Since you seem versed in some of the process, I am assuming you are filing US Income taxes.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, alun said:

you jeopardize  your LPR status by being out of the US for almost a year until Oct . All the information you need is on the USCIS web site You should first read up about LPR 

I did go there once since October so I'll be traveling again after almost 5 months.

Timeline

Basically you have a choice, I am going to assume you still can move back to the US now and maintain your Permanent Residency.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.