rabeeyeah

LPR filing for husband

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP is home, she clearly stated her priority is to be with her Husband.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

OP is home, she clearly stated her priority is to be with her Husband.

She clearly stated she wanted to petition for her husband.  This isn’t the way to do it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
10 hours ago, rabeeyeah said:

Only if/when my husband gets a visa.

Seems clear enough.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

OP has been on the boards since her last reply, presumably reading but not replying.  Has not heard what she wants to hear, or maybe is just taking time to digest all the information. I guess , she also needs to make sure her husband is on board with possibility (becoming increasingly likely the longer she stays there) that they do not move to the US after all. 

12 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

OP has been on the boards since her last reply, presumably reading but not replying.  Has not heard what she wants to hear, or maybe is just taking time to digest all the information. I guess , she also needs to make sure her husband is on board with possibility (becoming increasingly likely the longer she stays there) that they do not move to the US after all. 

My hypothesis is that she's shopping for flights to the US, and terms of her contract if she gets out...

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

My hypothesis is that she's shopping for flights to the US, and terms of her contract if she gets out...

A contract that doesn’t matter once the flight leaves airspace

10 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

She described living in the US as "inconvenient" to the contract, but stated she would only move back to the US if/when husband gets a visa. The latter more important seemingly than the former, but if she will only move back when husband gets a visa it's almost certainly never going to happen, because by that time she will have lost her green card and will have nothing to show in the way of domicile.

5 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Bah, priorities can change. I see it everyday on VJ. 

Even husbands and wives may have different priorities ..husband may not be so cavalier about losing prospect of moving to the US? After all, they are married, i presume it is a joint decision and not just hers.

Timeline
57 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Even husbands and wives may have different priorities ..husband may not be so cavalier about losing prospect of moving to the US? After all, they are married, i presume it is a joint decision and not just hers.

Confucius say:  In Pakistan there are no joint decisions.

No filing advice to be given here.   The act of mailing it in would probably trigger unwanted interest.  

Best of luck to both of them.  

Timeline
6 hours ago, Cathi said:

A green card is for LIVING in the US, not visiting.

Period.

The green card is not a jailhouse key and there are legal rules (travel document) if you need a long term temporary stay outside the US and there is also a path back in if you extend your stay (SB1 and maintain your immigration eligibility) but OP has not been following any of those rules making it very difficult to advise her.

Edited by Nitas_man

10 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

That's what gets me is that people get so wrapped up about a work contract that won't matter at all as soon as you leave the country anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

The OP isn't gonna reply, is she?
Yeah i heard these misconceptions a lot previously. Assumption, that being LPR allows you to LIVE somewhere else in the world, and all you gotta do to be LPR is to visit now and then. Boy oh boy, is it fun when me telling "visiting is not living. Green card is for living in USA." is just me being too "cautious" backfires. Then they come to me and ask what to do, and when i say lawyer up, apparently i didn't help them enough by saying what will happen. lol

I think OP has more than enough advice, tips, rules, laws, rule of thumbs. Not much to add here. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
3 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

That's what gets me is that people get so wrapped up about a work contract that won't matter at all as soon as you leave the country anyway.

I can understand it from a personal responsibility point of view. 

But when you account in lost opportunity cost such as being able to earn much higher income in states, career path, appreciating property if you do invest in a home etc.. 

The cost of breaking and dealing with the contract is peanuts compared to roughing it out for a 2 years in US.

My wife did the same thing and refused to apply for tourist visa as a family with her parents and sister. Her reasoning being money and her requiring 3 months notice.

And it was a wasted effort in explaining that if she did come here 5 months in a year, the advantage of networking, learning the way of life and adjusting is too good of an opportunity. We could travel while I opt for work from home. She can visit extended family here. She can ask questions to people in her same career field. Learn to drive. Learn about credit.

Worst is she is still gonna take the same time to do all the above after she comes, meaning wasting another 6-9 months till she gets acclimated or more if cannot find a job. With the added bonus of stressing out for finding a job asap to help out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.