MJforever

Autistic child ....Can we Expedite?

33 posts in this topic

Can I expedite ? We live in the Netherlands and our son has severe nonverbal Autism. It takes 2 people to care for him. His behaviours are getting worse by the day and soon he will be unable to travel. He was in school but they were unable to handle him. He used to get 4 hours of therapy a month but they stopped that also. Waiting for over a year is impossible and could get us stuck here forever. I can't just take my son to America without my husband because I am unable to care for him alone. He will stop eating and drinking if his Dad isn't around to feed him. I don't know what else to do. Help us please !! This country doesn't have what he needs and we have to get home before it's to late.....

You can try to request an expedite I guess? Humanitarian reasons maybe?

You mention that The Netherlands is not able to provide the care that he needs, do you guys already have a place that will be able to care for him in the US? 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree, you can ask based on humanitarian means.  I would gather whatever medical information you can for an expedite.  A coworker of mine came to the US from Australia for similar reasons as his son is severely autistic and the services in that country for special needs children are lacking.  I don’t think he required an expedite since it was an employment based visa though.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I could not edit my previous post, but even if you manage to expedite your case, I am not sure if you could also avoid having to spend some time apart though...

“It’s been 84 years…” 

44 minutes ago, Robin825 said:

Can I expedite ? We live in the Netherlands and our son has severe nonverbal Autism. It takes 2 people to care for him. His behaviours are getting worse by the day and soon he will be unable to travel. He was in school but they were unable to handle him. He used to get 4 hours of therapy a month but they stopped that also. Waiting for over a year is impossible and could get us stuck here forever. I can't just take my son to America without my husband because I am unable to care for him alone. He will stop eating and drinking if his Dad isn't around to feed him. I don't know what else to do. Help us please !! This country doesn't have what he needs and we have to get home before it's to late.....

Can't hurt to try.  Is your son a USC?  Gather as much documentation you can to support your claim that he specifically requires the care of his USC parent:  translated physician letters/evaluations etc.  When it comes to expedite requests, the consulates usually prefer to see the hardship to the USC and USC children vs adult alien spouse.

I do recommend thoroughly researching the resources available for him in your intended community.  Here in the US, there are large differences at very local levels, in terms of funding and commitments to supporting families with special needs.  

Best of luck!

We both are USC and I lived most of my life in the States. Not having my husband around to help care for our son would not be possible. I am disabled due to a rare brain disorder and my husband cares for me and our son. We intended to live in The Netherlands but we now see that our son would suffer. We put him in the special school that was recommended for him. Only to see it was unsafe and find out they put him into a giant high chair with a wooden bar across the front.  He was sobbing and my heart broke for him.  We don't confine him and I never want that to happen to him again. 

You all have brought me to tears..... I felt so alone and scared.... I was afraid to post at first but now I feel so blessed to have you guys.

12 minutes ago, Robin825 said:

We both are USC and I lived most of my life in the States. Not having my husband around to help care for our son would not be possible. I am disabled due to a rare brain disorder and my husband cares for me and our son. We intended to live in The Netherlands but we now see that our son would suffer. We put him in the special school that was recommended for him. Only to see it was unsafe and find out they put him into a giant high chair with a wooden bar across the front.  He was sobbing and my heart broke for him.  We don't confine him and I never want that to happen to him again. 

In that case, you may include your disability in the expedite request.

Have you looked into how you will go about fulfilling the domicile and sponsorship requirements?

6 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Have you looked into how you will go about fulfilling the domicile and sponsorship requirements?

The domicile was the part I was also wondering about. There would not be a way around having to spend at least some time apart, right? Regardless of an expedite?

“It’s been 84 years…” 

I have looked into those.... With the domicile I have a current USA drivers licence, bank account. and I also own some land in the states. I hope that is enough for the domicile...... For sponsorship money wise I have a disability Income and assests worth more then 3 times the needed income for 3 people. I hope they accept that. I am worried about the income part.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When and if you are able to come,  you may want to try a ship instead of a jet because of the noise,  the  close proximity (sorry not the best use of the term) ,   the confinement of a plane and small bathrooms and the turbulence that you could encounter

You can perhaps cut down the noise factor with a headset (if you can get him to wear one,  it does cut down the noise)

With a lot of work and patience ,  i got one of my students to wear a headset.   it seemed to have a very calming effect 

24 minutes ago, Robin825 said:

We intended to live in The Netherlands but we now see that our son would suffer. We put him in the special school that was recommended for him. Only to see it was unsafe and find out they put him into a giant high chair with a wooden bar across the front.  He was sobbing and my heart broke for him.  We don't confine him and I never want that to happen to him again. 

I am so very sorry to hear that this has been your experience here..

I also have son with autism (who is a very amazing 16 year old now) and my experience has been very different. Not less heartbreaking at times but I found his daycare facility and school teachers amazingly trained and passionate about taking care of the children. Maybe I’ve had some more time to reflect on those moments by now. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, Robin825 said:

I have looked into those.... With the domicile I have a current USA drivers licence, bank account. and I also own some land in the states. I hope that is enough for the domicile...... For sponsorship money wise I have a disability Income and assests worth more then 3 times the needed income for 3 people. I hope they accept that. I am worried about the income part.

Domicile can also be "intent to reestablish", so finding resources for him, getting your living situation set up, etc.

The assets are sort of a depends on what they are case.  

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi Robin,

We emigrated last July. My son is autistic. I don't have answers for your specific questions but I do have some thoughts for you to consider. Instead of pinning all your hopes on your case being expedited and this contributing to your anxiety, I would suggest that you plan for your son to be separated from either parent as a part of this process. 

How do you communicate with your son? Do you use social stories or Makaton? I would start right now with introducing him to the emigration process in whatever way you feel will work with him. My son was also non-verbal so I understand the frustration and difficulties this causes. I was a single parent for 7 years, caring for my son solely, so you may conclude that I understand how scared you may feel right now. Look for charitable organisations that can help you tide over and give you essential support during this time. 

First of all I would reiterate what others have said - get every document you can as evidence. Second, think of how you will prove that emigrating is in your son's best interest. 

Unfortunately you have to be a fighter to get anything for your autistic child and I know how that can grate if that's not your personality. Your love for him will pull you through. There is no one correct way. Be flexible and proactive and know that, even though it may not seem so at times, you have a community that will try their best to help you. 

Message me if you need. Sending you hugs and empathy. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.