MJforever

Autistic child ....Can we Expedite?

33 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Robin825 said:

Emily W we have zero support also here. When people hear the Netherlands they also think of the great health care. We pay around 300 a month for the 3 of us ( kids are free) BUT ...... where do I start lol..... We took our son to the emergency room after he fell and hit his head very hard. The doctor didn't even touch him and said to us" bring him back if he passes out"  and left. I couldn't believe it. He didn't even look at his pupils NOTHING!! Wearing gloves lol they hardly ever do here. I worked in a hospital, nursing home, hospice, EMT, and was a volunteer. I know what to look for and wow this is scary at times. We are moving to Florida to be near my very close large family.  I also want our little guy to spend some time with his Great Grandmother. She's amazing.... gosh you bringing up support systems made me really think of home.  

I feel like I have to rectify certain things here, just for some context.. 

You and your husband pay €300 for health insurance, which sounds about right, but don’t you also get the “zorgtoeslag” (a deductible) each month? If your husband does not work (fulltime) because he is taking care of your son and you, he should receive this ‘refund’. This reimburses a decent part of your costs. 

Taking somebody to the ER when not in a life threatening situation is not how it works in The Netherlands, this is probably why the doctor did not react the way you wanted to. You would take somebody to the “huisartsenpost” in case it happened outside of opening hours and yes, they would probably ask if he had been vomiting and ask you to wake him up every couple of hours at night. The Dutch are a little less ‘dramatic’, for a lack of better term..

The reasons you have been giving to want to move from the Netherlands are appearing to be not so much about the bad care system for your son here, but a better situation (with your family to help/support) for your family. This, combined with some unanswered questions about if your husband will work in the US, might put the visa application and/or the expedite in a new light.  

Don’t get me wrong, I wish you and your family well, no doubt about that. Make sure that you cover the financial part well and build your expedite case on hardship for you, not your son’s autism because at this time you do not seem to have solid evidence that his situation will change drastically and a 100% positive by moving to the US. 

Edited by Daphne K

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

16 hours ago, Daphne K said:

I feel like I have to rectify certain things here, just for some context.. 

You and your husband pay €300 for health insurance, which sounds about right, but don’t you also get the “zorgtoeslag” (a deductible) each month? If your husband does not work (fulltime) because he is taking care of your son and you, he should receive this ‘refund’. This reimburses a decent part of your costs. 

Taking somebody to the ER when not in a life threatening situation is not how it works in The Netherlands, this is probably why the doctor did not react the way you wanted to. You would take somebody to the “huisartsenpost” in case it happened outside of opening hours and yes, they would probably ask if he had been vomiting and ask you to wake him up every couple of hours at night. The Dutch are a little less ‘dramatic’, for a lack of better term..

The reasons you have been giving to want to move from the Netherlands are appearing to be not so much about the bad care system for your son here, but a better situation (with your family to help/support) for your family. This, combined with some unanswered questions about if your husband will work in the US, might put the visa application and/or the expedite in a new light.  

Don’t get me wrong, I wish you and your family well, no doubt about that. Make sure that you cover the financial part well and build your expedite case on hardship for you, not your son’s autism because at this time you do not seem to have solid evidence that his situation will change drastically and a 100% positive by moving to the US. 

yeah I agree about the ER part. But the worst part about that in the US is, is they will charge for EVERYTHING that they may have even touched and caused to be "unsanitary" and still tell you to just watch your son and keep him awake. The more they do, the most it costs. How @Daphne K mentioned how the dutch are less dramatic, America is a bit more dramatic because the more dramatic that they are over the things like this, the more the bill will be. Health Care is a business, so yeah they might give your son a scan and an xray and gosh knows what else, and they may totally say it's in the best interests of your son and it's the best thing for him, but you will pay for every part of that. 

Most people avoid ER's here now if they can in the US and prefer to use 24/7 urgent cares if regular urgent cares are closed.

I know our insurance in particular makes you pay 800$ if you go to the ER (it does cover the rest) and are not admitted (even if they just look at you and send you off), but if you are admitted you still pay 300$. Urgent care is 55$ per visit, no matter what they do or what they use. 

I also agree that the case would be stronger for the OP than for the OP's son, I would heavily focus on the fact that the disability may not be enough to cover two people in different countries. But also note that the more you speak about financial difficulties the more they will look at finances as an issue.

Edited by Ash.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

My main reason to try to expidite is that our son may not be able to travel in about a year or longer and he needs a different type of school. He can't go to the schools that have been offered to us. They were not a good fit for him and did more damage then help. For some kids they would be perfect but not for him.Even one of the teaches said it was heartbreak how much he suffered and there was nothing they could do for him there. They can force him into a school that does him more damage soon and I am scared. I saw what the last one did to him. He can't go to another one they keep getting further and further away. At the end of it they run out of schools and he goes to daycare instead of school here. Unteachable!! And sent to daycare for his school years!! That's his fate !! I know people with severely handicapped kids and they are in daycare and not any school. He can't stay here I don't want that for him and I won't give up on my  sweet boy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.