vinish

K1 denied now looking into CR1 (split)

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

We got refused Last week for our K1 because our Ghanaian engagement ceremony pictures were misinterpreted as traditional marriage. My fiancée will come down for us to go have a court marriage and file for CR1. Anyone with similar experience who will guide me through what exactly we need gather before filing. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post split off to its own thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Ugh. I hate this. I’ve seen this before and I really feel like this is denial just because they don’t understand culture...and that’s just not okay.

Before your fiancé comes, I would have them print everything out so you two can fill it out together. Let it be three copies of everything—one for each of you and then one to be sent in. You don’t have to wait for anything to come in the mail for your denied K1....just send everything as soon as spouse arrives back home.

My husband and I were denied K1 in 2016 because they didn’t believe our relationship was bona fide. We got married later that year, and actually thought about me (the USC) being the one who immigrated, so I made lots of trips back and forth. Ultimately with all the bills and stuff piling up for me at home, mostly from student loans, we decided to just bite the bullet and file for IR1 in May. Now begins the waiting game again.

Good luck to you both!

Timeline
1 hour ago, SelAli711 said:

Ugh. I hate this. I’ve seen this before and I really feel like this is denial just because they don’t understand culture...and that’s just not okay.

Before your fiancé comes, I would have them print everything out so you two can fill it out together. Let it be three copies of everything—one for each of you and then one to be sent in. You don’t have to wait for anything to come in the mail for your denied K1....just send everything as soon as spouse arrives back home.

My husband and I were denied K1 in 2016 because they didn’t believe our relationship was bona fide. We got married later that year, and actually thought about me (the USC) being the one who immigrated, so I made lots of trips back and forth. Ultimately with all the bills and stuff piling up for me at home, mostly from student loans, we decided to just bite the bullet and file for IR1 in May. Now begins the waiting game again.

Good luck to you both!

I won’t say they don’t understand culture actually they do ... the traditional marriage in Ghana is the real cultural marriage in Ghana except u want to add the court or church wedding so to the CO if u take any traditional marriage pix then u r married .. Ghana traditional marriage which some call engagement isn’t the same in the states that’s y they take it very serious here 😊

Timeline
3 hours ago, Quansah said:

We got refused Last week for our K1 because our Ghanaian engagement ceremony pictures were misinterpreted as traditional marriage. My fiancée will come down for us to go have a court marriage and file for CR1. Anyone with similar experience who will guide me through what exactly we need gather before filing. 

Sorry to hear this but now ur other option is to go the spousal visa way .. get married   , make sure u take lots of pix with family and friends cus u will need it wen sending off your i130 forms for spouse

u shld file right after u sign the marriage cert cus u will need a copy to send to uscis n this time u call send all the pix u can think of n not worry abt them misinterpreting 

Timeline

@SelAli711thanks for the insight, please how did you get Potomac service centre? Or better still which centre did you petition to in the first place? 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Quansah said:

@SelAli711thanks for the insight, please how did you get Potomac service centre? Or better still which centre did you petition to in the first place? 

Potomac was pure luck, as they seem to be processing in about 3 months as opposed to the 8-10 some of the other service centers are. It depends on what state you live in where you originally file. I’m in NC so I sent to Chicago Lockbox. From there is where it gets transferred.

Timeline

@Mrs Odurothanks so much, will it be still okay to include the some of the engagement pictures that the Officer interpreted as traditional marriage and add up the new pictures from our upcoming court marriage. Would it be necessary to involve a visa coach or lawyer in our next filing after our court marriage. 

Timeline

@SelAli711, my sweetheart is in Washington State but it looks like USC filing for Spouse visa have Texas, Chicago and Phoenix lockbox as service centre for CR1 and IR1. I stand corrected anyway. 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Quansah said:

@SelAli711, my sweetheart is in Washington State but it looks like USC filing for Spouse visa have Texas, Chicago and Phoenix lockbox as service centre for CR1 and IR1. I stand corrected anyway. 

Yes, you’re exactly right....but after you send to lockbox, you’re transferred to a service center. Think of the lockbox as just a mailbox, then it’s sent to the actual facility where it gets processed. When you get your notice saying they received your i130, you’ll be given a case number and from there you can determine your service center. Hope that makes sense.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

also, if you should consider doing Direct Consular Filing. Since USCIS does have an office in Accra, your wait time is much shorter than if you were to file from the US

5 minutes ago, Wakabaw said:

also, if you should consider doing Direct Consular Filing. Since USCIS does have an office in Accra, your wait time is much shorter than if you were to file from the US

OP Petitioner would need to meet the residency requirements of the Field Office:

• Passport entry stamp(s) and visa reflecting that you are residing in Ghana and not just visiting Ghana

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/ghana-uscis-accra-field-office

Edited by Paul & Mary

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

2 hours ago, Wakabaw said:

Only an option if the USC spouse is a legal resident there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
2 hours ago, Wakabaw said:

I think DCF has a conditional residency for the USC spouse, 6 months minimum (meaning the usc must have been living in Ghana for example for 6 months prior to petitioning a dcf).

Edited by mniceguy16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.