Boiler

'White supremacy': popular knitting website Ravelry bans support for Trump

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Ironclad43 said:

I don't know, there are many "supreme" members in this thread itself. Is someone going to do something about the member supremacy problem on VJ?

it's only for those who like supreme pizzas.  you may be a pepperoni member if you wish.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Ironclad43 said:

I don't know, there are many "supreme" members in this thread itself. Is someone going to do something about the member supremacy problem on VJ?

I am the most supreme person in my house.  When my wife is away.  I am the greatest, never doubt it!

1 hour ago, ALFKAD said:

I am the most supreme person in my house.  When my wife is away.  I am the greatest, never doubt it!

When I'm alone my wife let's me be in charge too, as long as obey her rules 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Randyandyuni said:

When I'm alone my wife let's me be in charge too, as long as obey her rules 

2 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

Wow, I am in that same category.

😀

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

I am a member of Ravelry, though I haven't been active for a while due to a lot of stuff going on in my life (I put knitting on hold while I moved from Burbank to Berkeley last year) so I missed this development. Ravelry is a really supportive group! I don't really have a problem with their choice because, well, it's a private group and the admins can choose what members can and can't post. It's like... how on here certain words get filtered, or certain types of threads get locked. In my experience on there, a lot of the posters do have an anti-Trump point of view when topics get political -- and most of the posting on there really is about getting help for patterns, or showing off your WIPs (works in progress). And of course pro-Trump people aren't blocked from posting, they just aren't supposed to post pro-Trump posts/projects/whatever. But I joined because I wanted to get the pink "kitty" hat pattern and link up with other local SoCal ladies going to the Women's March in LA in January 2017.

Actually, going on that march is what broke the camel's back for my ex -- he's a Trump supporter, and I am not a fan. He had tickets to one of the inaugural balls, and I did NOT want to go, and I got conveniently sick (*cough*) a couple of days before we were supposed to go to DC. We weren't on the best terms by that point anyway. So the day after the inauguration, there I was in LA with my hat and my ladies (some of them Ravelry people I had gotten to know) on the March. It was AMAZING to be around so many women (and supportive men), and the atmosphere was so friendly. But I got so swept up in the whole day that I totally forgot that my friends might take pictures that had me in them at the March, and that they might post them to Facebook and Instagram, and that my husband might see them... and... he did, later that Saturday night after he'd gotten back from some meeting. Suffice to say that he was NOT happy and said that it was embarrassing to him when he was trying to get business done in DC to see his wife disrespecting the president... About two weeks later, it was over. While there were a LOT of other problems in our marriage that pre-dated the inauguration and the Women's March, those events pretty much tipped it over into no-turning-back. ("The trust is gone, Layla," he told me. "If I can't trust my wife to support me, who can I trust?" He was probably right.)

ANYWAY, this is all to say that Ravelry is/was a great place, and while it may seem a little weird to outsiders that the site chose the path it did, I don't really have a problem with it. Do any of your wives/fiancees knit, and if they did, would you have a problem with them joining Ravelry since most of it has nothing to do with politics? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
11 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Do any of your wives/fiancees knit, and if they did, would you have a problem with them joining Ravelry since most of it has nothing to do with politics? 

Are you a member of the Patriarchy?

Bit like suggesting someone join the Nazi Party as most of it had nothing to do with mass extermination.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Are you a member of the Patriarchy?

Bit like suggesting someone join the Nazi Party as most of it had nothing to do with mass extermination.

Oh definitely not a member of the patriarchy! My ex-husband is though. 😁 I just assumed you were all men from the way you write in your posts in this thread; if you read enough, you can usually pick up clues. If that was presumptuous of me, I apologize, that wasn't my intent at all. 

I don't really see the connection between Ravelry and the Nazi Party though -- they make it pretty clear that Republicans and conservatives are welcome, even if support of Trump and his policies aren't. I logged into my account and here are the guidelines:

• You can still participate if you do in fact support the administration, you just can’t talk about it here.
  • We are not endorsing the Democrats nor banning Republicans.
  • We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions.
  • We are not banning people for past support.
  • Do not try to weaponize this policy by entrapping people who do support the Trump administration into voicing their support.
  • Similarly, antagonizing conservative members for their unstated positions is not acceptable.

Am I missing something? 

Timeline
7 hours ago, laylalex said:

Oh definitely not a member of the patriarchy! My ex-husband is though. 😁 I just assumed you were all men from the way you write in your posts in this thread; if you read enough, you can usually pick up clues. If that was presumptuous of me, I apologize, that wasn't my intent at all. 

I don't really see the connection between Ravelry and the Nazi Party though -- they make it pretty clear that Republicans and conservatives are welcome, even if support of Trump and his policies aren't. I logged into my account and here are the guidelines:

• You can still participate if you do in fact support the administration, you just can’t talk about it here.
  • We are not endorsing the Democrats nor banning Republicans.
  • We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions.
  • We are not banning people for past support.
  • Do not try to weaponize this policy by entrapping people who do support the Trump administration into voicing their support.
  • Similarly, antagonizing conservative members for their unstated positions is not acceptable.

Am I missing something? 

It is interesting they singled out supporters of the administration.  Was the same note there for the previous administration?  Do they also censor those that talk about their Trump Derangement Syndrome?  I agree though, it is a private site like FB or IG, so they can pretty much do whatever they want related to promoting a political position.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, laylalex said:

Iof them Ravelry people I had gotten to know) on the March. It was AMAZING to be around so many women (and supportive men), and the atmosphere was so friendly.

I'm curious... as you marched around in your tall pink hat, what exactly were people making you feel supported about?  What does wearing a giant va-j-j on your head signify, exactly?

Timeline
12 hours ago, laylalex said:

going on that march is what broke the camel's back for my ex

Sorry to hear that politics got into the family relationships! But probably being together with the person who actively supports the ##### Grabber was not very healthy or easy. 

12 hours ago, laylalex said:

this is all to say that Ravelry is/was a great place

I'm now thinking of starting to knit again :) thanks for sharing!

Science is not a liberal conspiracy.

Our immigration journey 

Spoiler

01/02/2018 Started dating 

01/21/2019 Got engaged

04/08/2019 Got married

06/17/2019 AOS package sent

06/19/2019 Package delivered

06/24/2019 Card charged 

06/25/2019 Text notifications (no email!)

07/03/2019 Received NOA1 for I-485, I-130, I-765, I-131 (dated 06/25/2019)

07/20/2019 Received biometrics appointment letter (dated 07/12/2019)

07/31/2019 Biometrics

09/03/2019 Received interview notice

10/10/2019 Interview

10/11/2019 Case approved! :star:

10/16/2019 "Card was mailed" case status update

10/17/2019 Received tracking number for the green card in mail

10/18/2019 Green card in hand! 

Spoiler

07/18/2021 ROC package sent (UPS)

07/22/2021 Package delivered

07/23/2021 Card charged

07/24/2021 Text notification - case received

28 minutes ago, Rosalind F said:

Sorry to hear that politics got into the family relationships! But probably being together with the person who actively supports the ##### Grabber was not very healthy or easy. 

I'm now thinking of starting to knit again :) thanks for sharing!

It is rather sad, but to be honest, being with an intolerant liberal was probably just as hard for him

2 hours ago, ALFKAD said:

I'm curious... as you marched around in your tall pink hat, what exactly were people making you feel supported about?  What does wearing a giant va-j-j on your head signify, exactly?

I would suppose it wouldn't be much different than her ex wearing a MAGA hat, surrounded by people that wear it and feel supported as such.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

21 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

I would suppose it wouldn't be much different than her ex wearing a MAGA hat, surrounded by people that wear it and feel supported as such.

Wouldn't it actually be more like her ex wearing a pen.is shaped hat? The Maga hat is only offensive if you don't like Trump, I've never heard of wearing external genatalia  as an item of clothing as anything but crude

Edited by Randyandyuni

20 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Perhaps.  But I think the motives are way different.  That's why I am asking her, since she obviously felt inclined to participate.  I have never met anyone in person who would have done that, so I am curious to learn more of the motivation behind HER participation.