N-o-l-a

That Itch You Can't Rant About (The Rant Thread)

2,974 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
4 minutes ago, N-o-l-a said:

So did you put down that you graduated high school?  Because I would have done that regardless. Only time I think it is ok to fudge this sort of thing. 

I’ve told this story before, but I started college before I graduated high school. I failed calculus my senior year, they wouldn’t graduate me.... so they gave me the diploma after I retook it my first year of college. No one was the wiser. 

What kind of counseling degree are you going for?

I put that I got 10 O' levels and that it's roughly the equivalent of graduating twice from high school. 

I was a grief counselor in England. Here I want to specialize in recovery from harmful groups (exit counseling).

55 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

I wasn't homeschooled. I went to a grammar school in England. I left school at 17 to work as I had been offered a place at art school in London but that wasn't possible without parental support. I don't have my certificates. I left school over 30 years ago and my mother had my paperwork and she's been dead for 23 years. 

In my town back home it wasn't a problem as they knew me and never even asked to see any proof of qualifications. I worked in the Arts and Libraries department of local government so I'm over qualified for this job anyway - it's only a part time position in the township public library, working at the circulation desk and putting books back on shelves. I have to re-qualify in my second career which is what I want to do here anyway (counseling), which is fair enough and I accept that may take time. It's not like I want a managerial position at the library. My references show my experience in libraries. They are being rule bound and ticking boxes. Even if I did have my education certificates I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars to get them transcribed so they can be understood by somebody here. I explained what my education is in the application and at the interview. My work experience supersedes any grades I got 32 years ago.

Thanks for the sympathy. Feeling very sorry for myself today and waiting for them to get back to me about whether they'll accept just a reference. 😔

Ahh okay. Still, Michigan typically is a hub for those with unusual education backgrounds and a vast community of immigrants. That does sound like a nice job at least, but it's a shame they would give you such problems about it. They don't even let circulation desk people in without some kind of proof of an associates degree here. :| When my husband applied for his job at the college he checked yes to high school education (afterall how can you begin to explain the UK system on a form?) no one was the wiser. It's hard getting a job as an immigrant just starting out. It took hubby a whole year; then part time at first, then promoted to full, and now he's just been promoted to the boss of the IT dept. But looking back it was sometimes miserable for him, being rejected, trying to get people to understand his education, or just getting someone to give him a chance. If they still don't accept you... well then *you* don't need them.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
3 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

It's hard getting a job as an immigrant just starting out. It took hubby a whole year; then part time at first, then promoted to full, and now he's just been promoted to the boss of the IT dept. But looking back it was sometimes miserable for him, being rejected, trying to get people to understand his education, or just getting someone to give him a chance. If they still don't accept you... well then *you* don't need them.

Yes, that's why I was feeling so hopeful earlier this week. It fits in well with family commitments, I could get out, start meeting people, I feel competent doing it, and I could feel useful and valued again. 

I'm already feeling depressed at the thought of another winter like the last one. At least I can drive now and get out but it's difficult to stay motivated day after day and feel dependent on my husband (and resentful). The role of 1950s housewife does not suit me. 

I'm glad your husband found a way to succeed. I didn't foresee this particular problem. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
43 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

Yes, that's why I was feeling so hopeful earlier this week. It fits in well with family commitments, I could get out, start meeting people, I feel competent doing it, and I could feel useful and valued again. 

I'm already feeling depressed at the thought of another winter like the last one. At least I can drive now and get out but it's difficult to stay motivated day after day and feel dependent on my husband (and resentful). The role of 1950s housewife does not suit me. 

I'm glad your husband found a way to succeed. I didn't foresee this particular problem. 

Could you find some  volunteer work that might help with both resume and meaningful involvement? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, fip & jim said:

I put that I got 10 O' levels and that it's roughly the equivalent of graduating twice from high school. 

I was a grief counselor in England. Here I want to specialize in recovery from harmful groups (exit counseling).

I think that is about the equivalent of what my husband had.  GED it ended up having to be because that is the equivalent of going to year 10 versus year 12, as unfair as the comparison might be. Either way, the GED is suuuuuper easy.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
3 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

kids atm they are messier than the chickens. Oh speaking of chickens got 9 more chicks last night and we took a chance and gave them to the hen who already has chicks. She took them all and now is the proud mom of 25 chicks. 

rsz_67306495_462749581244697_5484890304639139840_n.thumb.jpg.93486bc51af323d436c0ed4b6523e13b.jpg

Next you'll be changing her name to Duggar.

Timeline
4 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

Husband washed windows and then worked overnights at Lowe’s before he retrained and got a career type job. 

Husband is currently working at an Asian Market owned by the spouse of one of my colleagues. It doesn't pay much, but he loves his job and loves that he's contributing financially. He has a degree in industrial drawing/drafting but doesn't want to work in that field due to all of the computerization and we're from gen no-tech. He likes working in retail and talking with people. He's also a perfectionist and the store now has neatly arranged shelves, price stickers on everything, trash taken out. Most of the time he's there alone with no stress and in the AC. Before that he went to English classes for 3 yrs to learn enough English to communicate and now that he's working it's improving at a faster rate than before. Immigration for him was hard at first due to the language barrier, but he made friends in his ESL class and didn't feel alone. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, fip & jim said:

I just got an email saying they accept I can't provide transcripts and that the job offer is still on. Phew!

Thanks for your support today guys. 🙏🏻

Congrats!

giphy.gif

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 hours ago, fip & jim said:

I just got an email saying they accept I can't provide transcripts and that the job offer is still on. Phew!

Thanks for your support today guys. 🙏🏻

Great news. What a better way to end the day !! So glad for you ! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Russ&Caro said:

That's a nice story. Sounds a lot like the experiences of La Colombiana. She studied in her ESL classes for 2 years but switched to CNA classes the 3rd year. She met lots of friends in those classes, many who are still friends. Now that she's working at the hospital her english keeps improving. Since Santa Fe is bilingual, she's now getting a stipend for doing interpretation for patients and families at the hospital. She briefly considered retail but returned to health care due to her previous experience.

I think it's great that our spouses have found niches that provide them fulfillment and happiness. It makes things easier for us. ;)  I forgot to mention, we will be in France next year for the summer and his boss said he would keep his job open for him when he returns. He plans to hire a couple of college kids for the summer. I told husband that jobs like that are very  hard to find and the flexibility was worth more than the hourly rate he's paid.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
11 hours ago, fip & jim said:

P-math would cause chaos in a library.

Example:

Patron - "Excuse me, librarian with the sexy English accent! Could you direct me to where I may find books on water features as I would like to build a pond in my yard."

Me (playing the part of librarian with the sexy English accent in this scenario) - "Why, yes I can! I have excellent recall and organisational skills. They are in the Landscape Architecture section, numbered Many.Many. (2+2+2+1, 1 , 2+2).

So where's the chaos, huh F&J ma'am?  You've sexily directed the patron to precisely the exact section, si ma'am.

You might also consider "Many1Many01ManyMany2Many02.Many" as a direction, use all available numbers ma'am.

Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
8 hours ago, theresaL said:

He's also a perfectionist and the store now has neatly arranged shelves, price stickers on everything, trash taken out.

Markets are often perfect matches for perfectionists, si TL ma'am.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).