Highmystic

All new Visa requests must submit social media info

30 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I was talking to my wife about this the other day. Someone she knows back in the Philippines asking her about DACA and TPS, and she referred them to me because I am more knowledgeable about it than she is. They had heard somewhere that you only needed to live here for 3 years in order to qualify for DACA. I told my wife that they would first have to get a tourist visa here to the USA. I told my wife "if your friend was really serious then they can get a plane ticket to Mexico and cross illegally, then claim asylum". 

The only argument to “well if it’s that easy, why not do it!” Is the whole “it’s illegal, you might get caught”.

honestly there are A LOT of people who would risk it, the punishment isn’t harsh enough and the Potential reward is a big one.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

2 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

I was talking to my wife about this the other day. Someone she knows back in the Philippines asking her about DACA and TPS, and she referred them to me because I am more knowledgeable about it than she is. They had heard somewhere that you only needed to live here for 3 years in order to qualify for DACA. I told my wife that they would first have to get a tourist visa here to the USA. I told my wife "if your friend was really serious then they can get a plane ticket to Mexico and cross illegally, then claim asylum". 

Lol, yes get on the plane on the very common route from Manila to Mexico City, hire a Coyote, walk across the desert and avoid the CBP. Piece of cake. Sounds like heaven to me. 

Also, I though DACA is only available for people who were crossed when they were under certain age, right?

7 minutes ago, Ash. said:

The only argument to “well if it’s that easy, why not do it!” Is the whole “it’s illegal, you might get caught”.

honestly there are A LOT of people who would risk it, the punishment isn’t harsh enough and the Potential reward is a big one.

Yeah it's illegal and you could get caught is an argument to make but you are obviously not watching to see what is happening on the Southern border. You have people coming across the border and literally walking up to CBP or going to one of the waystations to wait for them to arrive, then these people are claiming asylum and let go in to USA within weeks. 

There does need to be harsher penalties for people that came here and file a BS asylum claim. 

Edited by Cyberfx1024

Just now, USS_Voyager said:

Honestly, I don't know how harsher it could be. People have died on that process. Looks to me that's pretty harsh

2 minutes ago, USS_Voyager said:

Also, I though DACA is only available for people who were crossed when they were under certain age, right?

It is only available for those that came here when they were a minor. You are correct on that assumption.     

The Sonora desert ain't no joke trust me it can and does go up to 120+ degrees down there in the summertime, not to mention the humidity around the Calexico/El Centro area. But that part of the border is not even a fence put up but a metal barricade so you can't drive across it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
20 hours ago, kris&me said:

Why?  Tourists are not classified as immigrants

they don't do the DS 160 and ds 260

they fill out an application with supporting documents about their income,  housing and assets and have an interview

Tourists do fill a ds160 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

i think many of us have mixed feelings on this matter

for one, it upsets me that illegals can stay when  i spent so much money and time doing the legal immigration

and it does indicate no respect for our laws as coming in illegally is breaking a big one

but,  on the other side,  all the Mexicans i see work hard 

and i have been to Mexico and seen the animals with rib cages showing and the poor people begging on the streets of acapulco plus other cities in other trips

but don't blame the government for separating children from parents when the parents put kids on tops of trains to come to the USA with no guardians 

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2014/06/05/318905712/riding-the-beast-across-mexico-to-the-u-s-border

this is one problem that has no happy ending no matter what the government does and i am glad i don't have to make the decisions on this one

47 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah it's illegal and you could get caught is an argument to make but you are obviously not watching to see what is happening on the Southern border. You have people coming across the border and literally walking up to CBP or going to one of the waystations to wait for them to arrive, then these people are claiming asylum and let go in to USA within weeks. 

There does need to be harsher penalties for people that came here and file a BS asylum claim. 

Oh don’t worry I’m agreeing with you! I meant for the what happens after they get these EADs and don’t show up to court. They get deported to come back another day.

really at the end of the day like -really- what penalty is there. I get USS Voyager mentioned death but the number of those people dying isn’t apparently large enough to stop mass influx’s of people abusing the system.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

i don't think you can compare legal and illegal immigrants but both areas are long overdue an overhaul

And our government has talked about this for well over 20 years

DHS is under Congress

so, when is Congress going to appoint a committee to study the issues as they do with other problems 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

:pop: I'm all for a serious immigration reform, no amnesty or pathway for illegals who willingly and knowingly break the laws, streamlining deportation cases, and if people have to share social media information during a visa application then so be it.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

22 hours ago, kris&me said:

Why?  Tourists are not classified as immigrants

they don't do the DS 160 and ds 260

they fill out an application with supporting documents about their income,  housing and assets and have an interview

B visa applicants in fact do complete the DS-160.   That’s the actual visa application.

4 hours ago, junkmart said:

That's not how asylum works.

There are more jobs than there are people to fill them. Most of the jobs they get are jobs that USC feel are beneath them and will not do.

Exactly.  I live in an agricultural state (apples, potatoes, cherries, grapes, hops) and our farmers have had crop losses because Americans won’t take the jobs in their fields.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
23 hours ago, Highmystic said:

"Under a State Department policy that took effect Friday, almost all visa applicants to the United States will now be required to submit the social media usernames, email addresses and phone numbers they’ve used in the past five years."  

Not sure why the article says in the past five years. My fiance is filling out the DS-160 right now and it does ask for social media information but NOT for last 5 years. Nor does it ask emails or phone numbers for the last 5 years.

Edited by Mezyan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mezyan said:

Not sure why the article says in the past five years. My fiance is filling out the DS-160 right now and it does ask for social media information but NOT for last 5 years. Nor does it ask emails or phone numbers for the last 5 years.

I would guess that since your i-129 was NOA'd in Feb, you were exempt for this as it goes in to effect.  I wonder how long this will delay people's applications since "someone" will have to go on line and browse all the info and write up a report, etc.. I doubt the gov will hire additional staff to handle it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Highmystic said:

I would guess that since your i-129 was NOA'd in Feb, you were exempt for this as it goes in to effect.  I wonder how long this will delay people's applications since "someone" will have to go on line and browse all the info and write up a report, etc.. I doubt the gov will hire additional staff to handle it.

I am pulling this out me bum because I don't actually know, but I wonder if this last week when the CEAC website was down for maintenance if they were making these changes?

The DS-5535 that asks a lot of these questions and may ask for 5 years of data. It has caused lots of delays with the process. It's really kind of a bummer. But alas, no one ever said this process would be easy or fun.

Edited by Mezyan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.