uluslarci

do the documents which will be submitted to NVC need to be in English?

19 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, uluslarci said:

Hello,

I looked it up on the internet but had different answers from different websites. My country is Turkey. So I was thinking it is OK to submit documents in Turkish to the Ceac system?

Thank you!

Any document you have that is not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation in English.

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

best to follow instructions from immigration and what USCIS.gov says

All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See8 CFR 103.2(b)(3) .

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2061/0-0-0-2253.html

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
1 hour ago, uluslarci said:

Hello,

I looked it up on the internet but had different answers from different websites. My country is Turkey. So I was thinking it is OK to submit documents in Turkish to the Ceac system?

Thank you!

You need in English, but you or someone who is fluent have competence in translating can translate and then the certify documents themselves.

**basically in Turkey everywhere you go for translation works with a notary, which is extremely expensive, so you don't need to do that. You or someone competent just need to translate it and certify it (google or search on vj about certifying translations - this is basically signing it with an explanation etc.) and attach it with the original document. don't forget the original document tho. 

I did my own "nufus kayit ornegi" and "adli sicil kaydi" myself with no problems. Good luck!

This is what I wrote under the translation to certify:

I, (full name), certify that I am fluent in the English and Turkish languages, and the above document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled Nüfus Kayıt Örneği (change accordingly).

Address: xxxxxxxx

Tel : xxxxxxxx

e-mail : xxxxxxxxx

Signature and date

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

35 minutes ago, Naes said:

You need in English, but you or someone who is fluent have competence in translating can translate and then the certify documents themselves.

**basically in Turkey everywhere you go for translation works with a notary, which is extremely expensive, so you don't need to do that. You or someone competent just need to translate it and certify it (google or search on vj about certifying translations - this is basically signing it with an explanation etc.) and attach it with the original document. don't forget the original document tho. 

I did my own "nufus kayit ornegi" and "adli sicil kaydi" myself with no problems. Good luck!

This is what I wrote under the translation to certify:

I, (full name), certify that I am fluent in the English and Turkish languages, and the above document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled Nüfus Kayıt Örneği (change accordingly).

Address: xxxxxxxx

Tel : xxxxxxxx

e-mail : xxxxxxxxx

Signature and date

Thank you all for your answers. Just to clarify: these are the documents that I will submit for the DS-260. I've completed the form and now I've to upload those documents to NVC through the CEAC website. I looked at the website of the US embassy's website in Ankara, Turkey. The following is what they instruct to bring to the interview:  Your original birth certificate (“Shenasname” for Iranian applicants), original English translation (if the document is not in Turkish or English), and a photocopy.

So NVC wants the English translations no matter what the embassy is OK with? I thought NVC would be sending them to the embassy anyway.

I can translate and certify if they don't want a notarized copy though. I was avoiding the all hassle and the cost to notarize them.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
47 minutes ago, uluslarci said:

Thank you all for your answers. Just to clarify: these are the documents that I will submit for the DS-260. I've completed the form and now I've to upload those documents to NVC through the CEAC website. I looked at the website of the US embassy's website in Ankara, Turkey. The following is what they instruct to bring to the interview:  Your original birth certificate (“Shenasname” for Iranian applicants), original English translation (if the document is not in Turkish or English), and a photocopy.

So NVC wants the English translations no matter what the embassy is OK with? I thought NVC would be sending them to the embassy anyway.

I can translate and certify if they don't want a notarized copy though. I was avoiding the all hassle and the cost to notarize them.

Yes I thought you were worried because of the notary cause it is extremely expensive there.

so 1) yes, NVC does need English translation no matter the embassy. I believe for NVC stage there is also a check for those (I was a k1 visa so for us there was no NVC stage. But regardless NVC needs the translations) 2) yes, you can translate it if you are competent in both languages.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

best to follow instructions from immigration and what USCIS.gov says

All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See8 CFR 103.2(b)(3) .

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2061/0-0-0-2253.html

What does the USCIS have to do with NVC?

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

From the following DOS website regarding the NVC  process

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html

Summary

All document not in English OR the official language of the country in which you are interviewing be translated 

So for Turkey ... any documents on Turkish do NOT need to be translated into English 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

WHOA, everybody.  Reset.

This question is about submitting through CEAC.  The OP is at the NVC stage, not USCIS.

Documents at this stage must EITHER be in English OR....OR....OR the local language whether the interview will take place.

Since the documents are in TURKISH and the interview is in TURKEY, Turkish language documents can be submitted at this stage.

CONTEXT....CONTEXT....CONTEXT folks.

4 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

From the following DOS website regarding the NVC  process

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-5-collect-supporting-documents.html

Summary

All document not in English OR the official language of the country in which you are interviewing be translated 

So for Turkey ... any documents on Turkish do NOT need to be translated into English 

Absolutely correct.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

2 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

WHOA, everybody.  Reset.

This question is about submitting through CEAC.  The OP is at the NVC stage, not USCIS.

Documents at this stage must EITHER be in English OR....OR....OR the local language whether the interview will take place.

Since the documents are in TURKISH and the interview is in TURKEY, Turkish language documents can be submitted at this stage.

CONTEXT....CONTEXT....CONTEXT folks.

Absolutely correct.

Thank you all.

I think there is confusion about this issue in general if not I confused people. I found the same page that Lil Bear copied. I was totally clear about it. Then I decided to make sure on the internet by looking at other people's practices. And there are tons of people who say that there must be a translation attached to the original document.

More importantly, there are tons of people saying that even if the NVC does not ask for translations, the officers of NVC can cause trouble so it is better to submit the translations.

For me, the confusing part is how the NVC people read in Turkish or any other language than English. I assume they just forward the documents to the Embassy. It is not their job to read them or something. And maybe the reciprocity information on travel.state.gov helps them a little bit to have an idea of what they are looking at. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We just got "documentarily qualified" at NVC, and submitted all documents in English or Portuguese, as instructed, and had no problems, as my husband's interview will be in Brazil.  So for Turkey, Turkish or English documents are just fine.  Read the instructions on the NVC website, it clearly says that English is fine, OR the language of the country where the interview will be held.  English translations are only needed for the I-130 petition documents, at the USCIS stage of the process.  The important thing for NVC is to follow their instructions carefully about scanning documents correctly,  no flipped or upside down documents, clear scans, all edges of documents, color documents scanned in color, uploaded correctly, etc.  Follow their instructions exactly and you should be fine.  We got all ours approved just two weeks after uploading them, now we're waiting for an interview in Rio to be scheduled.  Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes, there is a lot of confusion in lots of places about this issue.  However, I, and those telling you the same as I am, are NOT confused.  Hopefully, you are not confused now either.  Submit your Turkish documents and relax.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.