andreaam

Argentinians AOS fillers

928 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hey everyone!

I’m an April filer and I’m here keeping you posted to say we received the receipt texts today!! 🥳❤️ I’m so happy that our case is in process now.

Packet sent: April 14th

Packet arrived to lockbox: April 17th

Texts received: April 29th 12:22am

Now waiting for the physical NOA.

Hope everyone is doing well and staying safe 💪🏻

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hope you all are doing well!

Our AoS case was moved to "ready to schedule interview" yesterday! Been waiting to hear something since receipt of our iRFE for the Acta back on Feb. 27! Still haven't seen any additional activity on our EAD/AP cases yet. Will take any good news right now though and we are excited to see our case back on track 🤗

Wishing you all the best and a wonderful weekend! 

Hello!

For anyone who was completed the new Public Charge form, a friend is having to re-submit his application, so the new form applies.  He is asking what he needs to fill out or do if he does not have the following yet:

-NO SSN

-NO health insurance

-NO license

And some other things he doesn't have because he has no SSN and, therefore, can't get.

What can he do now?

Background:

He submitted the AOS back in August 2019 and it got denied in April 2020.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Timeline

Hey @Fe.Ta

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's situation! The public charge form went into effect on Feb. 24, 2020. We filed in November 2019 and just recently got approved for the interview. So hopefully whatever he got the denial from will be resolved when he refiles, since the public charge form shouldn't have been the reason for his denial. Is there any option for an appeal on the denial? That might be something to consider, but also based on why the denial and I would definitely get some of the veterans of the site to weigh in on that option too.

The form is online here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-944 - with all the information. We looked into this before filing in November (since we were after the Oct. 15 date) and it specifically stated "Do NOT submit this form before Feb. 24, 2020." It's unfortunate he has to deal with the extra paperwork now. 

Also, I do believe they updated the Affidavit of Support with some new questions based on the Public Charge rule (or at least they have a big ALERT box on the page about Public Charge info.), so I would also make sure to use the form from the USCIS website: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

The form looks at him as well as his household members. USCIS appears to be more looking at the individual and their household situation to see if the individual will be "at risk" to be a public charge - for reasons like too much debt, not enough financial support, is there a history of the household needing public benefits, is there a history of bankruptcy, etc. It will be a combination of him and his household (maybe just him and his spouse?) considering his living situation. Also education background, probably for job abilities and some other fields.

Insurance is a question on there, but if he doesn't have any, the form has boxes for "no" and if you don't have any, please explain how you will cover medical costs. I don't know his situation like if his AoS is also through a K-1? The open enrollment period for my job is during an abnormal time (April) for whatever reason at my work, so I asked them about getting my husband added even though he doesn't currently have an SSN. They were able to do it and just marked his field as 0's right now until his SSN arrives and I'll just need to update it then. The insurance company said they prefer to have the SSN on file because they can better validate and cross-check a medical expense, but it wasn't a problem to add him. Maybe something he can consider? He might be able to get some short-term coverage? 

I don't think SSN or Driver's License have any impact on the form for filing. SSN is really relevant to getting things like a joint bank account, health insurance, etc. which are all things I've heard are big requirements for showing co-mingling of lives at the interview. Driver's License doesn't come up at all, plus with ride-share and public transportation options now (pending his city), there are plenty of ways to get around with a license. 

I don't know if any of the Argentinian filers had to do the Public Charge form - so hopefully someone with actually experience could weigh in. If not, maybe asking in the broader forum of AoS filers to get more opinions on what he might need to do? I'm sure a lot of folks might be asking what the reason for denial was 😕 

35 minutes ago, KBCN said:

Hey @Fe.Ta

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend's situation! The public charge form went into effect on Feb. 24, 2020. We filed in November 2019 and just recently got approved for the interview. So hopefully whatever he got the denial from will be resolved when he refiles, since the public charge form shouldn't have been the reason for his denial. Is there any option for an appeal on the denial? That might be something to consider, but also based on why the denial and I would definitely get some of the veterans of the site to weigh in on that option too.

The form is online here: https://www.uscis.gov/i-944 - with all the information. We looked into this before filing in November (since we were after the Oct. 15 date) and it specifically stated "Do NOT submit this form before Feb. 24, 2020." It's unfortunate he has to deal with the extra paperwork now. 

Also, I do believe they updated the Affidavit of Support with some new questions based on the Public Charge rule (or at least they have a big ALERT box on the page about Public Charge info.), so I would also make sure to use the form from the USCIS website: https://www.uscis.gov/i-864

The form looks at him as well as his household members. USCIS appears to be more looking at the individual and their household situation to see if the individual will be "at risk" to be a public charge - for reasons like too much debt, not enough financial support, is there a history of the household needing public benefits, is there a history of bankruptcy, etc. It will be a combination of him and his household (maybe just him and his spouse?) considering his living situation. Also education background, probably for job abilities and some other fields.

Insurance is a question on there, but if he doesn't have any, the form has boxes for "no" and if you don't have any, please explain how you will cover medical costs. I don't know his situation like if his AoS is also through a K-1? The open enrollment period for my job is during an abnormal time (April) for whatever reason at my work, so I asked them about getting my husband added even though he doesn't currently have an SSN. They were able to do it and just marked his field as 0's right now until his SSN arrives and I'll just need to update it then. The insurance company said they prefer to have the SSN on file because they can better validate and cross-check a medical expense, but it wasn't a problem to add him. Maybe something he can consider? He might be able to get some short-term coverage? 

I don't think SSN or Driver's License have any impact on the form for filing. SSN is really relevant to getting things like a joint bank account, health insurance, etc. which are all things I've heard are big requirements for showing co-mingling of lives at the interview. Driver's License doesn't come up at all, plus with ride-share and public transportation options now (pending his city), there are plenty of ways to get around with a license. 

I don't know if any of the Argentinian filers had to do the Public Charge form - so hopefully someone with actually experience could weigh in. If not, maybe asking in the broader forum of AoS filers to get more opinions on what he might need to do? I'm sure a lot of folks might be asking what the reason for denial was 😕 

Yes, he did ask and apparently it is better to refile than appeal.  It seems it was because some information on the affidavit was not submitted.  When they issued a RFE, they responded but still missed those documents.  They were doing it DIY and probably didn't think through a lot of minor details or were not informed as well.

Thank you for your response!  I believe a few did, but as you said, most of us are not familiar.  I told him as much information as I could and did mention to him to possible follo April-May AOS filers in the general forum.  So glad we didn't have to go through that!

I will let him know all of this info and hopefully he will submit as much extra information as he can.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

Timeline

Hope you all are having a great weekend! 

Just a quick update on our end! On 5/5 we got the notice on the EAD that a new card was being produced!!! A bunch of other quick notifications came in on 5/6, 5/7 and 5/8 and as of last night (5/8), the Post Office picked up the card and we now have the tracking number so hoping it'll be here by early next week. Definitely doing lots of happy dances right now!

Dance Dancing GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Timeline
On 4/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, andreaam said:

A colombian girl that is my running club just told me that got her GC approved without interview here in NYC

Hope this is our case too! I'm still waitting

Timeline
39 minutes ago, andreaam said:

Hopefully! Were you able to find a job?

Unfortunately not, when I got my EAD at the end of January I was basically trying to find a job as fast as I could before COVID19 got worse. Had a great interview for a acupuncturist in Chelsea, but all businesses were forced to shutdown. I stopped searching on March and started again on late April, sent my resume to Starbucks and others, but still nothing. 

My husband used to work in a restaurant called La Gran Uruguaya, and just about today he started working only for delivery and to go. We are not sure if it was only for mother's day, or if he will actually start in regular basis.

My greencard process shows "ready to be schedule for an interview" on the USCIS website since they canceled it on March 30th. Do you know if the Colombian girl got the same message of "ready to be achedule for an interview?", we hope after all the proof, paperwork and years together they will do an exception with us as well. 

Still, I also have to go to the DMV to renew my NYID, it'll expire next month. What about you? Did you have any luck?

Edited by Fer Schvarztman

Timeline
11 hours ago, Fer Schvarztman said:

Unfortunately not, when I got my EAD at the end of January I was basically trying to find a job as fast as I could before COVID19 got worse. Had a great interview for a acupuncturist in Chelsea, but all businesses were forced to shutdown. I stopped searching on March and started again on late April, sent my resume to Starbucks and others, but still nothing. 

My husband used to work in a restaurant called La Gran Uruguaya, and just about today he started working only for delivery and to go. We are not sure if it was only for mother's day, or if he will actually start in regular basis.

My greencard process shows "ready to be schedule for an interview" on the USCIS website since they canceled it on March 30th. Do you know if the Colombian girl got the same message of "ready to be achedule for an interview?", we hope after all the proof, paperwork and years together they will do an exception with us as well. 

Still, I also have to go to the DMV to renew my NYID, it'll expire next month. What about you? Did you have any luck?

You can do the ID renewal online. I lost mine and I was able to get one through the DMV website. 
I hear you. I’m still searching. I’ve been volunteering And doing some freelance

for some people in Argentina but that’s it. Is a pain but I keep searching every week. 
My friend was ready to schedule interview and

from there it went to card being produce. She never had an interview date. 

Timeline

Hello everybody! 

Hope you're all safe and doing good. Just posting some updates.

On April 29th I received the change of status to "Ready to schedule interview" so I hope I'm with the group of people that meet the requirements for the privilege of an approval without interview. 

I did get a job the last days of April so everything moved super fast for me here. Too many things going all at once. Of course I feel extremely blessed and happy. It's good to be able to help my husband around with finances and recover some of the routine and independency I had back home. I think that my field and definitely the state plays a huge role on this too. 

Two weeks ago I had to fill in all the paperwork, present my employment card, and fill in the i9 and w4 and a bunch of other forms. Also in between all this COVID situation I had to go to a "public notary" that could acknowledge that my papers were real. I was a little worried because my SSN has the legend "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization” but luckly my employer had some other people in my same situation on the past and they were aware of the procedure and the papers. Of course, please, If I can help anybody with this information or you have some doubt about it let me know. It's been a lot of investigation and asking around so, If you need help with some of those forms, just let me know. 

And for all of those who are looking, try to stay positive and open minded. And don't give up. It's a extremely weird moment of the world but we know what we've been through to be here today. And this is just another step in that ladder. Sending you all my good thoughts! 

PD: Thanks @Fe.Ta for the tips you posted here a few weeks ago and thanks to all of you who added information there about work and interviews. All the time I was on the interview I had "diversify your skills" at the back of my head and I feel that studying and enrolling on different capacitations and programs while I waited helped me too. And the follow up emails, thank you notes. It's just a different way to approach an interview than back in Argentina.

Edited by Fla&Mark

28 minutes ago, Fla&Mark said:

Hello everybody! 

Hope you're all safe and doing good. Just posting some updates.

On April 29th I received the change of status to "Ready to schedule interview" so I hope I'm with the group of people that meet the requirements for the privilege of an approval without interview. 

I did get a job the last days of April so everything moved super fast for me here. Too many things going all at once. Of course I feel extremely blessed and happy. It's good to be able to help my husband around with finances and recover some of the routine and independency I had back home. I think that my field and definitely the state plays a huge role on this too. 

Two weeks ago I had to fill in all the paperwork, present my employment card, and fill in the i9 and w4 and a bunch of other forms. Also in between all this COVID situation I had to go to a "public notary" that could acknowledge that my papers were real. I was a little worried because my SSN has the legend "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization” but luckly my employer had some other people in my same situation on the past and they were aware of the procedure and the papers. Of course, please, If I can help anybody with this information or you have some doubt about it let me know. It's been a lot of investigation and asking around so, If you need help with some of those forms, just let me know. 

And for all of those who are looking, try to stay positive and open minded. And don't give up. It's a extremely weird moment of the world but we know what we've been through to be here today. And this is just another step in that ladder. Sending you all my good thoughts! 

PD: Thanks @Fe.Ta for the tips you posted here a few weeks ago and thanks to all of you who added information there about work and interviews. All the time I was on the interview I had "diversify your skills" at the back of my head and I feel that studying and enrolling on different capacitations and programs while I waited helped me too. And the follow up emails, thank you notes. It's just a different way to approach an interview than back in Argentina.

These are all great news!  I am happy that something I suggested helped you feel more confident and succeeded!  It is definitely a waiting game.  Plus, sometimes you need to know how to play the game so you sell yourself!

For those of you that are still searching, as I said before, I would be happy to share additional tips or help with resumes or coaching, etc. (no charge, I just do it because it is fun for me and I want to continue to practice so I can eventually freelance).

Praying we all get GCs soon without interviews and that jobs get aligned for all of us.

We are still around, try to peek on here as much as we can to help others.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline

In NYC the situation with jobs is really bad. Lots of forlough and unemployment. The type of job I was applying on February where 100 people were applying, now 500 are applying. I don’t lose my hope but is going to be a difficult search. I have asma I’m being careful and not searching for anything that would get me outside of the apartment right now. 
My husband keeps telling me to be patient and everything will come at the right time. I keep working on my portfolio and I created a website for myself. So hopefully that will help when the time comes. 

9 minutes ago, andreaam said:

In NYC the situation with jobs is really bad. Lots of forlough and unemployment. The type of job I was applying on February where 100 people were applying, now 500 are applying. I don’t lose my hope but is going to be a difficult search. I have asma I’m being careful and not searching for anything that would get me outside of the apartment right now. 
My husband keeps telling me to be patient and everything will come at the right time. I keep working on my portfolio and I created a website for myself. So hopefully that will help when the time comes. 

My husband is the same.  My parents live with us (70s), so he is looking for online or little interaction.  Patience is key.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline

@andreaam yes its hard but we all have to keep it up! So good you've been able to do some gigs so far. 

Hope we have the same luck as your friend, still no news about our case. 

Wanna thank everyone here for keep helping and sharing information, and also the good news. 

Please be safe everyone! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.