andreaam

Argentinians AOS fillers

928 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

@WickedWorld We are in TX and our SSN offices are closed here. I would NOT recommend this route at all, but with offices closed, it might be your only option as we made the "mistake" of doing this. On the EAD form, you can check the box to have an SSN issued to you. After our EAD was approved and we received it in the mail, the SSN came like within a week of the EAD card.

So, in a worst case scenario, you can at least go that option when you file your AOS/EAD/AP paperwork. I wouldn't recommend that route because it really put a lot of things on hold for my husband for months like getting on health insurance, getting on bank accounts, getting a U.S. drivers license, etc. Especially because we also got hit with an iRFE to send back his Acta de Nacimiento. But if you can't secure one another way, just know - you can still get one! 

Timeline

SSN are closed here in NYC. I have to go to update my card since I got the green card and I can’t do it. I didn’t find the option to do it online either

Timeline
On 7/16/2020 at 4:31 PM, Fe.Ta said:

Let's keep an eye on this thread:

If this is true, then there is no point in getting a waived.  But, again, 50/50.  I don't know why they would waste resources going backwards.

This doesn’t make any sense. Why you will need an interview if you got your green card. I know the situation is crazy right now, but I think USCIS will never issue a GC without being completely sure. I think this might be a glitch or something like that. 

Timeline
23 hours ago, KBCN said:

@WickedWorld We are in TX and our SSN offices are closed here. I would NOT recommend this route at all, but with offices closed, it might be your only option as we made the "mistake" of doing this. On the EAD form, you can check the box to have an SSN issued to you. After our EAD was approved and we received it in the mail, the SSN came like within a week of the EAD card.

So, in a worst case scenario, you can at least go that option when you file your AOS/EAD/AP paperwork. I wouldn't recommend that route because it really put a lot of things on hold for my husband for months like getting on health insurance, getting on bank accounts, getting a U.S. drivers license, etc. Especially because we also got hit with an iRFE to send back his Acta de Nacimiento. But if you can't secure one another way, just know - you can still get one! 

We are in the same situation. I arrived three weeks ago and we are still trying to figue out the SSN. We are in Wisconsin, and they say they are not processing anything. Is there anything else we can do in the meantime? We are getting married in 2 weeks. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, andreaam said:

SSN are closed here in NYC. I have to go to update my card since I got the green card and I can’t do it. I didn’t find the option to do it online either

If you really want to change the name on your SS card you can do it by mail. I know it's risky but it does work. My wife did her SS card like that as a last resort we had no other choice as it is much hassle to have your SS card in your maiden name and the GC in your married name. Find out where your local office is call them get their direct address and send in your documents to them return receipt certified mail. As I said most people would not dream of sending in their official IDs that way, but these are desperate times and no telling how much longer the SS offices will be closed. Some offices do face to face appointments, but our office was closed tighter than a drum.

We were on pins and needles the whole time, but they did process the request and sent my wife's IDs back safe and sound. I will caution you though our office at least did not send her documents back certified mail just regular mail. Had I known that we might of would elected not to do it. Hope this helps, we are located in Texas if you need that tidbit!!

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

This doesn’t make any sense. Why you will need an interview if you got your green card. I know the situation is crazy right now, but I think USCIS will never issue a GC without being completely sure. I think this might be a glitch or something like that. 

That’s the same thing I was thinking. It would create more of a backlog and essentially they already have the notes or documentation to explain the why it was waived.  I am only sharing it because it was one of the elders VJer (Sarge) that posted it and it is happening to him.  So, I’d rather stay in the loop.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

Timeline
21 hours ago, Sarge2155 said:

If you really want to change the name on your SS card you can do it by mail. I know it's risky but it does work. My wife did her SS card like that as a last resort we had no other choice as it is much hassle to have your SS card in your maiden name and the GC in your married name. Find out where your local office is call them get their direct address and send in your documents to them return receipt certified mail. As I said most people would not dream of sending in their official IDs that way, but these are desperate times and no telling how much longer the SS offices will be closed. Some offices do face to face appointments, but our office was closed tighter than a drum.

We were on pins and needles the whole time, but they did process the request and sent my wife's IDs back safe and sound. I will caution you though our office at least did not send her documents back certified mail just regular mail. Had I known that we might of would elected not to do it. Hope this helps, we are located in Texas if you need that tidbit!!

Thank you for your imput!
I don’t need to change my name from the card. Just the DHS sentence above. I’m not in a rush since I’m still unemployed and I don’t see that changing soon. 

I will look into this option though to see if I can do it in NY if it is needed. 

Timeline
22 hours ago, Jonnat said:

We are in the same situation. I arrived three weeks ago and we are still trying to figue out the SSN. We are in Wisconsin, and they say they are not processing anything. Is there anything else we can do in the meantime? We are getting married in 2 weeks. 

Thanks!

You can start preparing the AOS paperwork. Especially the Affidavit of Support because it takes a lot of time. 

I don’t need to change my name from the card. Just the DHS sentence above. I’m not in a rush since I’m still unemployed and I don’t see that changing soon. 

I will look into this option though to see if I can do it in NY if it is needed. 

Ahh ok then if it's just the DHS statement you are wanting to remove, I would not send in my GC for that.

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

FYI, Sarge did get a notice for an interview scheduled for August 6th, even though his interview got cancelled and "waived".  His wife already has GC because of the waiver, but Dallas issued an interview date.  He will keep us posted.  This means anyone that got a waiver during the pandemic could be called back for interviews.

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

Timeline
On 7/19/2020 at 8:23 AM, andreaam said:

Hey @andreaam I woulnd´t be too worried about it. I still got mine with that legend any my employer did not stop for a minute to even bring that up. Seems that it´s expected and as far as you have the EAD card, you will be fine. Shouldn´t be a stopper though I understand that it´s a little "annoying" to have it there staring right back at you haha

Sorry I was so absent lately. I´m back and catching up with all the news.

Hope you guys are good and healthy and let´s keep our hopes up with the GC. I haven´t received any letter saying that I´m ready for the interview but that´s the status on the page.. 3 months like that now.. I will probably call next week and try to find a little extra information.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Fla&Mark said:

Hey @andreaam I woulnd´t be too worried about it. I still got mine with that legend any my employer did not stop for a minute to even bring that up. Seems that it´s expected and as far as you have the EAD card, you will be fine. Shouldn´t be a stopper though I understand that it´s a little "annoying" to have it there staring right back at you haha

Sorry I was so absent lately. I´m back and catching up with all the news.

Hope you guys are good and healthy and let´s keep our hopes up with the GC. I haven´t received any letter saying that I´m ready for the interview but that´s the status on the page.. 3 months like that now.. I will probably call next week and try to find a little extra information.

Yeah I’m not worring about it either. It was more of a feeling to get something done but I don’t mind waiting. 
You won’t receive a letter saying you are ready for the interview. You only get the letter when the interview is scheduled. And you can be in that status for an hour (like me) or several months. 

Yeah I’m not worring about it either. It was more of a feeling to get something done but I don’t mind waiting. 
You won’t receive a letter saying you are ready for the interview. You only get the letter when the interview is scheduled. And you can be in that status for an hour (like me) or several months. 

Or years @Fla&Mark haha

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Just saw a post of someone who got their GC, interview waived.  Here is the info:

AOS from K1

Submitted August 2019

Biometrics September 2019

Interview waived and GC July 2020

Original country Nigeria

Field Office Saint Paul, MN

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline
16 hours ago, Fe.Ta said:

Just saw a post of someone who got their GC, interview waived.  Here is the info:

AOS from K1

Submitted August 2019

Biometrics September 2019

Interview waived and GC July 2020

Original country Nigeria

Field Office Saint Paul, MN

That's our office! and that's awesome news. Thanks for sharing! I filled ours on October so.. I hope our case have a similar outcome. Fingers crossed 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.