andreaam

Argentinians AOS fillers

928 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
6 hours ago, Javier Mera said:

@Jonnat I just checked American airlines to see if you could book a flight to Wisconsin for March 30th and there a re a few cheap flights. I'm guessing if they have them on their website then I see no reason why your fiancee couldn't fly. So maybe even if Argentina is not accepting flights from the US starting tomorrow, the flight could be done to brazil and then to the states. That's just my guess.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what happens.

Gracias Javier. I'm the one travelling. But I talked to someone at the airport, then called American Airlines and Aerolineas Argentinas and apparently the only flight available was for tonight. It was the last one,  And Everyone is like crazy here.

Also, my fear is that  all latin American countries are closing  borders, I'm ashamed to say this but it would be my first time flying, and I'm kinda worried about getting stuck at an airport. I'm guessing we are running out of options.

We were so excited about being approved and now this :(

Timeline

@Fla&Mark glad to see you moving forward!! This process is a pain and you’ll get there. 

regarding your EAD questions, I started looking for a job with that. None of the job applications I did asked for what type of permit I had. They just asked if you were legal to work or not (my husband, my in laws and friends never said anything to me about this ‘temporary’ you are regarding, they always encouraged me to look for what I want). I started looking around February 20th in the architecture field. I had an interview scheduled but was cancelled because of COVID. They said they will get in touch to reschedule but I know it will take a while. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jonnat said:

Gracias Javier. I'm the one travelling. But I talked to someone at the airport, then called American Airlines and Aerolineas Argentinas and apparently the only flight available was for tonight. It was the last one,  And Everyone is like crazy here.

Also, my fear is that  all latin American countries are closing  borders, I'm ashamed to say this but it would be my first time flying, and I'm kinda worried about getting stuck at an airport. I'm guessing we are running out of options.

I know your feeling. We were really excited about being done and then this happened. But is always better to be safe. If you are traveling, be safe. If not, don’t worry, is just time! You’ll get there!

Timeline
5 hours ago, Fla&Mark said:

Congrats!!!!!

Updates on my side and in case this helps anybody... I also got a RFE on my birth certificate which I have sent correctly in the first package. I sent the original packages on October and I received the RFE on November.

I followed the recommendations here and sent everything again with the apostille and the translation. I also sent as second evidence (support evidence) my "acta de nacimiento". I submitted all again a few fays after. My status online changed to "Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received". It still the same but since 60 days were through without any notice, you're available to call and make a request for update. (Thanks @andreaam!! ) They opened one and told me that most likely (and please, note this.. MOST LIKELY) if you were not contacted back it's because the information you provided is accurate and they keep on processing your case without updating your status online. This does not affect in any way your other cases (EAD and AP) and does not make your AOS case change its status. It's just to assure you that you're in the right path. Anyway I suggest to keep on checking that for the ones in the same situation and encourage you to open one in case that 60 days went through without any notice. 

Now, I have a question about EAD. I know that some of you already received your card. What's your approach? Are you going for your "dream job" right now or will you wait for your green card for that? . I've been asking around and some people told me that in some cases, companies will not take you in important job roles because of your "temporary" permission to work and because they cannot be sure that you will be granted with your green card to be available to keep on working in the future.

I don't know if this is entirely true, if this happens often, or if this is for my particular field (IT). Does anybody have any thought, information or experience to share about this?

As always, thanks! 

Regarding your concern, when I got my EAD thought I could remove conditions on my SSN #, gone to the Social Security Administration in NY and they told me that I'm already able to work but it is the employer/contractor choise if wants to hire you despite having a greencard yet.

I started looking for a job before the COVID19 arrived to America, searching for Receptionist/Assistant jobs, had some interviews with no success ( I guess because COVID 19 started to worsen in NY, and traveling by subway became a risk) then moved to barista/waitress jobs, and COVID19 started affecting this jobs as well, now most bars and restaurants are closing and I'm starting to run out of options. 

I recomend you what I'm trying to achieve now, that is jobs through internet platform, because you can work from home and if you need to do quarantine, that will not affect your income. 

My husband works in a restaurant and now is staying at home so, income and paying Bill's is starting to become an issue, mostly because all this situation affects the job search plus the condition on the SSN#. 

I don't have a Bachelor's degree to give you insight about professional, high quality jobs, but hope some others will jump right in to help you. Good luck!

Edited by Fer Schvarztman

18 hours ago, andreaam said:

New Card being produced!!!!

I thought with all the pandemic it was going to take a while longer but only took 4 days/2 business days

Congratulations!  Thank you for all the help you are always willing to give to all of us.

Walt Disney Animation GIF

November 2010 - Met/Just Friends

June 2017 - I caught feelings, you want to try this?  Yes.
June 2018 - Do you want to get married?  Yes.
November 2018 - K1 filed

May 2019 - K1 interview scheduled and packet sent to embassy

June 2019 - K1 interview, approved, and moved to USA

August 2019 - Married

September 2019 - AOS/EAD/AP filed

October 2019 - Biometrics Appointment

January 2020 - AOS RFE for birth certificate received and sent back

February 2020 - EAD/AP approved and got the card

October 2020 - EAD/AP renewal filed

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

December 2020 - AOS interview, approved, and GC received

September 2022 - ROC filed

15 hours ago, Fla&Mark said:

Congrats!!!!!

Updates on my side and in case this helps anybody... I also got a RFE on my birth certificate which I have sent correctly in the first package. I sent the original packages on October and I received the RFE on November.

I followed the recommendations here and sent everything again with the apostille and the translation. I also sent as second evidence (support evidence) my "acta de nacimiento". I submitted all again a few fays after. My status online changed to "Response To USCIS' Request For Evidence Was Received". It still the same but since 60 days were through without any notice, you're available to call and make a request for update. (Thanks @andreaam!! ) They opened one and told me that most likely (and please, note this.. MOST LIKELY) if you were not contacted back it's because the information you provided is accurate and they keep on processing your case without updating your status online. This does not affect in any way your other cases (EAD and AP) and does not make your AOS case change its status. It's just to assure you that you're in the right path. Anyway I suggest to keep on checking that for the ones in the same situation and encourage you to open one in case that 60 days went through without any notice. 

Now, I have a question about EAD. I know that some of you already received your card. What's your approach? Are you going for your "dream job" right now or will you wait for your green card for that? . I've been asking around and some people told me that in some cases, companies will not take you in important job roles because of your "temporary" permission to work and because they cannot be sure that you will be granted with your green card to be available to keep on working in the future.

I don't know if this is entirely true, if this happens often, or if this is for my particular field (IT). Does anybody have any thought, information or experience to share about this?

As always, thanks! 

Congrats on moving through the process!

OK, so here is my input as an USC and "business person":

• Always strive for the best and keep your eye on the prize.  You know what you will want to reach eventually, even though it may or may not arrive immediately.  So, no matter what happens, still keep your final goal well and alive.  Don't lose sight of it.
  • Open your job spectrum.  Yes, we all have a dream job or have an specialization we want to work in, but sometimes it takes a little while before we get there.  Be open to search for everything and anything.
  • You are allowed to work with your SSN and EAD, whether they hire you or not would be an employer preference but it has nothing to do with your qualification of being able to work legally in the U.S. or considered "hiare-able" according to the legal/immigration system.
  • Focus on getting U.S. experience, hiring managers sometimes do not trust the plain old resume or CV if they cannot verify references, which with international contacts that makes it hard to do.  Therefore, it might be that you could be looking at starting lower in the totem pole or start from the "bottom", even though you may have degrees and lots of experience in Argentina, because your references are not here and they are harder to contact to confirm your experience.
  • To put it in perspective:  I, myself, graduated here in the U.S. as a USC from a well-known university, great GPA, top of the class, bla bla bla (I don't mean to sound conceited).  Yet, as I graduated, I applied for anything and everything and decided to start at the bottom (sales associate at a retail store) so my work experience could improve.  I just wanted to start working, not waste time in "waiting for the one I wanted or deserved" and I figured all of this would keep me humble.  In less than two years, I was already working somewhere else in the office/business world and within another four years, I was already in the leadership/management position I did strive for as one of my goals. 
  • So, the course is not always "straight", not everyone gets there as a beeline.  Some get lucky, others do not, but most importantly, figure out a path or vision that would take you to where you want to me.  If it does take a little while, take time in developing that CV/resume in U.S. with experience here that HR can verify and contact.  Plus, diversify your skill set.
  • I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH:  DIVERSIFY YOUR SKILL SET.
  • Your career goals and professional profile have a better chance of improving over time and being a "hire-able candidate" by having a diversity of skills.  Remember:  Companies and organizations want people that are an asset, the more skills you have, the more they will be able to "move you around" and the more job security you might have.  For example, if they are laying off people, they will try to "keep" those that they can move into another department versus the ones that have fixed skills.  Even if they do lay you off, you have more skills and, thus, have a better shot of finding another job quicker.

I am pretty sure I have a plethora of tips in my brain if any of you have any other questions.  But, so far this is just my experience and opinion/perspective.  I hope it helps!

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

November 2020 - EAD/AP renewal approved and got the card - AOS interview date issued

Timeline
20 hours ago, andreaam said:

New Card being produced!!!!

I thought with all the pandemic it was going to take a while longer but only took 4 days/2 business days

Congratulations!!!

Timeline

Thanks so much @Fe.Ta @andreaam and @Fer Schvarztman!! Your experience and advice is VERY helfpul and I really appreciate the time that everybody take to share here and guide other people.

As a conclusion, I have no issue with starting from the bottom over here or even outside the IT world. In fact, as someone who never worked outside Argentina I'm very excited to incorporate myself into a new work force in a new country and actually see how can I perform. 

i think I'm going to learn a lot about how people manages over here, culture "work wise", and as @Fe.Ta mentioned new "skill sets" out of my comfort zone. I'm all for it! I guess I'm second guessing myself and I didn't want to put myself in a situation where I lost a good job opportunity because of my status as an immigrant. 

In the mid time I keep on studying online. I enrolled in different trainings to take advantage of my time and I'm also on the way to get my driver's license! Here in MN they let me apply presenting only the marriage certificate. I passed the written test and my driver's test appointment is in... THREE MONTHS! LOL Apparently here it's a know issue that your appointments could take that much.. isn't it crazy?

Thanks everybody again! Super happy to see everybody moving forward!

Timeline
17 hours ago, Jonnat said:

Really sorry to hear this. But just like @andreaam mentionted you might just have to wait until this is over and then you will be able to travel. Maybe the visa needs to be reissued, but I cant imagine they wouldn't do it considering the circumstances.

Best of luck

Timeline

@Fla&Mark you are welcome. Something you can also add to your resume is a cover letter, they love that here and makes you look very professional. You can find samples on the web just to guide you. 😊 

I did that and got some interview chances, unfortunately COVID19 is making it a little more challenging. If you keep adding skills and you add that, they will live that fore sure!

7 minutes ago, Fer Schvarztman said:

@Fla&Mark you are welcome. Something you can also add to your resume is a cover letter, they love that here and makes you look very professional. You can find samples on the web just to guide you. 😊 

I did that and got some interview chances, unfortunately COVID19 is making it a little more challenging. If you keep adding skills and you add that, they will live that fore sure!

Cover letters and "Thank You" letters for each time they reach out to you (application, considering you as a candidate, interview, etc.).

November 2018 - K1 filed

August 2019 - Married

Timeline
3 hours ago, andreaam said:

@Fer Schvarztman were you able to correct your EAD name?

Fortunately yes, they admitted the mistake but I had to send the following information in order to get another card and not to be asked to apply again: 

A) Screenshot of all my EAD original application showing I wrote my married last name properly

B) copy of my NY State ID, copy of my marriage License showing my name

C) A letter explaining all the situation, adding the dates I called to the USCIS to have my name corrected and my adress updated. 

D) Copies of all the letters the USCIS sent me regarding the name change and update. 

E) Copy of the notifications I received with my last name wrongly spelled. 

F) Sent the EAD card with the mistake in the original envelope.

It took 3 weeks for them to determine if it was their responsibility and a week to send a new one, so lost a month 😔 hope this helps others, check all the information on your EADs and Greencards once you have them, to avoid this kind of inconvenience

Edited by Fer Schvarztman

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Fer Schvarztman said:

Fortunately yes, they admitted the mistake but I had to send the following information in order to get another card and not to be asked to apply again: 

A) Screenshot of all my EAD original application showing I wrote my married last name properly

B) copy of my NY State ID, copy of my marriage License showing my name

C) A letter explaining all the situation, adding the dates I called to the USCIS to have my name corrected and my adress updated. 

D) Copies of all the letters the USCIS sent me regarding the name change and update. 

E) Copy of the notifications I received with my last name wrongly spelled. 

F) Sent the EAD card with the mistake in the original envelope.

It took 3 weeks for them to determine if it was their responsibility and a week to send a new one, so lost a month 😔 hope this helps others, check all the information on your EADs and Greencards once you have them, to avoid this kind of inconvenience

Good it was solved after all! 
I know is frustrating to keep waiting and unfortunately with this situation right we will need to keep waiting a little longer to start making our own life in this new country. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Fe.Ta said:

Cover letters and "Thank You" letters for each time they reach out to you (application, considering you as a candidate, interview, etc.).

Totally agree with cover letter. The interview I got that got cancelled said my cover letter talked a lot to them and that’s why they wanted to meet me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.