LSO

Issue 10 years green card instead of conditional green card

17 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

After waiting for so long, I finally got my green card. However I'm confused because I thought I would received the 2 years conditional green card, but the expiration date of the green card I received says it's expires in 10 years. 

I came to US with a K1 visa, got married in August 2018 and filled for AOS in October 2018. We have been married for 8 months. 

Is that normal? 

I really don't want to request for another green card and have to wait another 6 months :( 

Help please!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You got the wrong card unfortunately that happens but it is up to you to fix it. 

File I-90 the fee will be waived because it is their error. 

(Make a copy of front and back before sending it back) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You definitely have to have it corrected, but, it will be free of charge since it is their error.  Since your marriage is less than 2 years, you are only entitled to a 2 year conditional card, and will need to file ROC in 21 months. 

Agree with above - keep a copy of front and back. 

At least you know you did nothing wrong :)

Before you send in the wrong card get the USCIS verbiage removed from your ss card. Update your drivers license as well. 

Use only ss card and dl for employment purposes. 

The correct GC will take at least 6 months. You can file online but you have to send in the wrong card as well or they’ll reject your filing (so make plenty of front and back copies - or scan). 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

1 hour ago, milimelo said:

Before you send in the wrong card get the USCIS verbiage removed from your ss card. Update your drivers license as well. 

Use only ss card and dl for employment purposes. 

The correct GC will take at least 6 months. You can file online but you have to send in the wrong card as well or they’ll reject your filing (so make plenty of front and back copies - or scan). 

I can legal work even though I don't have the green card in hands? I thought I would need to show my green card as proof of permanent residency 

Edited by LSO

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
17 minutes ago, LSO said:

I can legal work even though I don't have the green card in hands? I thought I would need to show my green card as proof of permanent residency 

If you follow the advice above with SS and the DMV, for employment purposes, you will be fine because an i9 form requires a SS card and driver license.  Additionally, even though the card has the wrong date, it was not an error in status.  You are a PR and therefore able to work :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, LSO said:

How do I do this?

Make an appointment at your local USCIS office before you return the card and file the I90 

Take your passport  and the  incorrect GC and request a stamp so you can then use that as status evidence. Then send off the GC and I90 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
12 hours ago, LSO said:

Hello everyone,

After waiting for so long, I finally got my green card. However I'm confused because I thought I would received the 2 years conditional green card, but the expiration date of the green card I received says it's expires in 10 years. 

I came to US with a K1 visa, got married in August 2018 and filled for AOS in October 2018. We have been married for 8 months. 

Is that normal? 

I really don't want to request for another green card and have to wait another 6 months :( 

Help please!

create an online account if you don't already have it you can file the I-90 form online upload the evidence and a copy of the front and back of the card and upload that also, wait for biometrics appointment, and yes they will do it again.

my husband entered after our 2 year date and got a conditional card when he should have gotten a 10 year card. we are 35 days from his biometric appointment still no new green card but he has the wrong one he was sent, they will eventually ask for it back, wait for them to send you that correspondence.

but you can file for replacement online.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
16 hours ago, LSO said:

Any idea how long it would take to get it corrected?

I haven't received an EAD or advance parole, so does that mean I won't be able to work? 

This exact same thing happened to me. It took 12 months to get new, correct permanent resident card.

To cover this period I was able to get a stamp in my passport at an Infopass appointment. I wish I had known about the DMV trick above at the time!

Edited by Markip1

I-129F Sent........... ...................................25th January 2016

I-129F NOA1.............................................3rd February 2016

I-129F RFE................................................30th March 2016 *Missing Beneficiary's intent to marry letter

RFE Reply................................................13th April 2016

I-129F NOA2.............................................28th April 2016

NVC Received..........................................13th May 2016

Date Case #, IIN and BIN assigned..........17th May 2016

Sent to consulate....................................18th May 2016

DS-160 filled out......................................19th May 2016

Consulate received.................................26th May 2016

Packet 3 received....................................28th May 2016

Medical.....................................................11th July 2016

Interview...................................................27th July 2016 - Approved!

Entered USA............................................27th December 2016

Married.....................................................29th December 2016

AOS Filed.................................................6th January 2017

NOA..........................................................10th January 2017

Biometrics................................................7th March 2017

EAD/AP Approved....................................11th April 2017

EAD/AP Received....................................22nd April 2017

AOS Approved.........................................23rd June 2017 *Interview Waived

Greencard received..................................29th June 2017

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

FYI, Detroit no longer do walk-ins or InfoPass. You have to call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283. 

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/michigan-detroit-field-office

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
4 minutes ago, fip & jim said:

FYI, Detroit no longer do walk-ins or InfoPass. You have to call the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283. 

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/michigan-detroit-field-office

Des Moines Iowa doesnt either it has to be scheduled online

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.