Mrijex

Thoughts on start applying to jobs before EAD

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
23 hours ago, Amadia said:

When I left my country, I quit my job of 4 years to come here and start over from scratch. My education and background was not what companies were looking for in the field of work that I was accustomed to so I ended up getting a job at a call center and then moved up in the company where I made it to Supervisor status in a few months after being hired.

I have bought 2 SUVs and a house since moving here and my son will turn 1.5yrs old in a little bit. Right now, I'm trying to save so that I can move out of Florida because the cost of living here is ridiculous for what companies are willing to pay you.

congrats! I know what you mean about florida good lord a 2 room apartment costs more to rent than a mortgage for a 3 bedroom house.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

On 4/24/2019 at 11:30 AM, Mrijex said:

I would be applying to admission and recruitment jobs at colleges and universities. I know there are usually multiple rounds in the application process so I think it would definitely take a while.

Having applied to many different industries, higher education is the most understanding when it comes to working with foreigners, in my opinion. I worked as the Assistant Director of Admissions at a liberal arts college so here's my thoughts for you if you want to enter the higher education field: apply now! You are right about the process, we move very slow in this realm. Answer "Yes" to the authorization, and answer "No" to the sponsorship.

You are not lying about your status, the fact is that you will get an EAD with authorization to work soon. The whole interview process is for the employer and you to figure out whether you are a good fit, and that they fit you. Throughout the interviews, you can always ask them about the timeline - if they said they were looking for someone ASAP,  you can disclose your situation, and give them the chance to think about it.

Once you get the offer, HR can work with you to either expedite the EAD card process or by then, you already have your EAD with you and they just have to process it. Institutions of higher education are very familiar with working with foreigners, especially with visa sponsorships. So the fact that you are petitioning for your green card is not really a concern for them. If your employer/future boss likes you and wants you, HR will work with you.

When I was a F1 student, I applied for jobs in higher ed since August and my graduation was in December. My OPT didn't even come until February but I didn't get an offer until March (and that was for H1b sponsorship so that's a more challenging process). Don't wait until your EAD card comes to apply. Start now. 

Charlotte, NC Field Office 

AOS from Student F-1 Status 

Package Sent (overnight via UPS): 04/04/2019

(day1) Delivered to USCIS: 04/05/2019 

(day5) Texts & Emails Received: 04/09/2019 (Checks Cashed Out: 04/10)

(day5) NOA: 04/09/2019

(day9) NOA Mails Received: 04/13/2019

(day43) 2nd Biometrics Appointment Notice (missed the 1st one on May 7 due to undeliverable mail): 05/17/2019

(day 49) Biometrics Notice Mail Received: 05/23/2019

(day50) Walk-in Biometrics Done: 05/24/2019

(day54) "Fingerprint Review Was Completed" status update on I-485 & I-765: 05/28/2019

(day57) "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview": 05/31/2019

(day74) "New Card Is Being Produced" for I-765: 06/17/2019

(day75) "Case was Approved" for I-131: 06/18/2019

(day76) "Card was Mailed to Me": 06/19/2019

(day77) "Card Picked up by USPS" w. tracking included: 06/20/2019

(day78) Combo Card Delivered !!!: 06/21/2019

(day135) Interview Scheduled: 08/18/2019

(day 172) Interview Day: 09/23/2019 !!!APPROVED ON SPOT!!!!

Expedite EAD Timeline

(day49) Expedite EAD requested: 05/23/2019

(day55) USCIS emailed asking for additional info: 05/29/2019

(day62) Faxed USCIS additional info: 06/05/2019

(day64) USCIS emailed back confirming they have received docs: 06/07/2019

(day74) Status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced"!!!: 06/17/2019

(day75) "Case was Approved" for I-131: 06/18/2019

(day76) "Card was Mailed to Me": 06/19/2019

(day77) "Card Picked up by USPS" w. tracking included: 06/20/2019

(day78) Combo Card Delivered !!!: 06/21/2019

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I applied for a job without my EAD. I then got offered the job. I then requested to help expedite my case through my state senator and sent evidence of my job offer. My case got expedited and I received my approval a few days ago. My Opinion is always try your hardest and if it doesn’t work oh well? It worked for me, hope it works for others. 

Met: Aug 12, 2016 in San Diego

I129F Sent: Feb 25, 2018

NOA1: Feb 27, 2018

NOA 2: Sep 5, 2018

NVC Number Received: Sep 24, 2018

File Received at US Embassy London: 

Medical Date: October 24th 2018

Interview Date: November 13th 2018

Approved!

event.png

- change your resume to the US version (as stated somewhere here they are nothing like the ones we used to use)

- start researching where you want to go and I would not apply there yet

- Networking, networking, networking

- start applying at jobs you really did not want anyway (great way to get a feel for the process if they do not instantly reject your application)

- the moment they approve your EAD you can check the "yes" box and start sending them out. (don't need the card, just the approval. You are not lying than).

I'm hopefully going through the N400 pretty soon and than I can finally apply for the job I want (I have worked with them back in Holland and they are willing to hire me when I get citizenship. But it is beyond rare that a company is willing to wait 4 years :) )

I used to get resumes all the time in my old work for people without work authorization.   We would accept the application and if we liked it, ask them in to interview.  Usually we ended up passing on the applicant for another reason but in more than one circumstance we offered written job offers based on the interviewer being able to get an EAD within a certain number of days. 

If you have a job offer I think they still will expedite the process.  They used to.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:46 AM, FromBtoZ said:

I applied for a job without my EAD. I then got offered the job. I then requested to help expedite my case through my state senator and sent evidence of my job offer. My case got expedited and I received my approval a few days ago. My Opinion is always try your hardest and if it doesn’t work oh well? It worked for me, hope it works for others. 

Good to know

ChickBoy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.