21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

the guy came to the US last summer and we were married a month later. I filed for AOS. We started having serious issue due to me discovering a lot of lies and stories that were not making sense nor adding up. He got scared that I was discovering so many things he couldn’t explain and moved out. One of the many things I discovered was he was married to a woman he introduced to me as his sister. 

He filled out the AOS form and I only signed and mailed. It wasn’t until 2 months after he moved out that I started looking at the pdf of the AOS form and I discovered he has a child that is 6 yrs old that shared same name as him( junior) and he wanted the child to be able to come to US in the future. 

When I confronted him with it, he said the child was not his that it was his nephew. He also said that was not even the child’s real name that he only put it there to sound believable. I did not know any of these before mailing the application. 

I immediately filed for divorce and it was finalized almost 2 months ago. We are no longer legally married. 

During all of these, USCIS were requesting for additional information on the AOS but it was never sent in. I was expecting the USCIS to deny the AOS since they did not receive the additional information. 

I just saw now that they are asking us to comein for an interview for AOS

What should I do? Should I go to the interview and tell them we are divorced? Can he still be granted green card and I will be forced to be his sponsor even though we are divorced? How can I protect myself and remove my name from being associated with his immigration issue?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

So sorry to hear that things did not work out for the two of you. Whatever you do, do not lie to USCIS, the consequences can be dreadful. You certainly should limit your visits with him to be in the company of others, nothing unsupervised. It would likely be better, that you did not have any contact with him, make your attorney be the contact person. He may get desperate and try some shenanigans. 

Good luck to you.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Call USCIS and pull the plug on AOS. Mention the lie on the form. Mention bigamy. That's it. 

Also... what the hell...  putting your nephews name as your own son to make it sound believable? Believable what and how? I'm so baffled by that. 

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, Spring745 said:

I discovered he has a child that is 6 yrs old that shared same name as him( junior) and he wanted the child to be able to come to US in the future. 

When I confronted him with it, he said the child was not his that it was his nephew. He also said that was not even the child’s real name that he only put it there to sound believable. I did not know any of these before mailing the application. 

Make *what* sound believable, exactly?

I'd wage a strong bet that the child is his....he wouldn't be able to sponsor a "nephew".

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Contact USCIS by phone and by letter to withdraw the Affidavit of support. Include with it all proof you have of his lies such as his current marriage and the lies about his child. He cannot obtain a green card through you due to your marriage not being legal since he was already married when he married you. Do not attend the interview or if you do state you wish to withdraw the affidavit of support and provide all the evidence of his fraud to the interviewer.

Separately contact the fraud unit and provide all the evidence you have of his bigamy and false statements on the application.

He has/is committing crimes if what you state is true. If he was already married his marriage to you is not valid and he has no grounds to obtain a green card through you. 

Thank you everyone for your reply. I just finished making an appt with my local office but it will for another 2 wks. That is their earliest date available.  I am planning to take divorce decree and supporting evidences. 

Another question, I have not received the letter for the interview, so I don’t know which date it is for. I checked the status of the application last  night and that was when I found out about it. 

My new question is I don’t put anything pass him. Can he change the address with USCIS, so all the letters will be coming directly to his new address? Can he attend the interview without me and be approved in case the appt is before my infopass appt?

I am concerned about this because on their website when I checked status, it just said  “......As of April 16, 2019, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice.....”

I have not received any letter and I am worried he might have changed the address and attend on his own. Can they still approve even though we are divorced and I will not be at interview?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If you do not attend the interview the AOS will not be approved. For your protection I strongly suggest you follow the advise previously provided and take action to withdraw your affidavit of support as well as provide all evidence of his bigamy. If he fails in obtaining a green card from you he may try to con another woman into marrying him and obtain a green card that way.

3 minutes ago, belinda63 said:

If you do not attend the interview the AOS will not be approved. For your protection I strongly suggest you follow the advise previously provided and take action to withdraw your affidavit of support as well as provide all evidence of his bigamy. If he fails in obtaining a green card from you he may try to con another woman into marrying him and obtain a green card that way.

Thank Belinda. I have made appointment for infopass. It is in two weeks. So I should get all these settle soon. I have a strong feelings he is already conning another woman. I just hope she will not be able to marry him and file for him since he entered US through me. At least that is her only hope. 

1 hour ago, Spring745 said:

Thank you everyone for your reply. I just finished making an appt with my local office but it will for another 2 wks. That is their earliest date available.  I am planning to take divorce decree and supporting evidences. 

Another question, I have not received the letter for the interview, so I don’t know which date it is for. I checked the status of the application last  night and that was when I found out about it. 

My new question is I don’t put anything pass him. Can he change the address with USCIS, so all the letters will be coming directly to his new address? Can he attend the interview without me and be approved in case the appt is before my infopass appt?

I am concerned about this because on their website when I checked status, it just said  “......As of April 16, 2019, we are ready to schedule your Form I-485. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice.....”

I have not received any letter and I am worried he might have changed the address and attend on his own. Can they still approve even though we are divorced and I will not be at interview?

They’re ready to schedule the interview but they did not set an appointment yet, that’s what the status is saying so you still have time to take the steps outlined by other members

2 hours ago, Spring745 said:

Yes. The application is his application. He can change the address for his application.

He can attend the interview without you. But without a strong reason (supported by evidence) for not showing up, AOS will be denied. A good example is military deployment.

Good - they haven't even scheduled the interview yet. That's just a status indicating that they are ready to schedule an interview once an open slot appears and those ahead of you are scheduled.

The next status update would be that an interview has been scheduled...assuming it's not denied before that due to withdrawing the I-864.

If you do successfully pull the I-864, don't worry if the status online doesn't reflect this right away or even if it reflects an interview being scheduled. USCIS is extremely slow...it'll take some time for the withdrawal to be reflected.

Technically AOS can be approved even with a divorce. But it's an extremely limited circumstance that puts a heavy burden on him. A no show pretty much seals the deal.

But as stated above, once you pull the I-864 AOS must be denied. AN I-864 from you is a mandatory item for AOS to be approved in his case.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

If he is already married, he cannot marry you and think he can get away with that just for a life in America. USCIS can and will see thru the lies he has put on the application. The interview is a formality to understand the "relationship" and have him tell them what they already suspect. 

Like others have suggested, pull your Affidavit of Support and inform USCIS immediately about the issues you have discovered about him.

I am sorry that you had to endure this but how long did you 2 know each other and figure each other out before committing to marriage?

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
8 hours ago, Spring745 said:

One of the many things I discovered was he was married to a woman he introduced to me as his sister. 

Life imitating art. This was a plot point in the tv series, The Americans.

OP, good luck at your infopass interview.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.